The Student Room Group

Which A level?

Subjects i have chosen: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology.
Need another subject
About me: I'm pretty dumb tbh. Can't take maths and physics (worst at them) Don't know what I want to do with my life. Don't enjoy any subjects and the ones I have already chosen. Will be going to uni.
Subjects I can take: Business, Computer science, Eng literature, History, Eng language, Law, sociology , geography, Rs. btech: Criminology,Business, IT, health and social, digital media

Was thinking maybe something like history or sociology might do but idk.

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheeky_nandos
Need another subject
About me: I'm pretty dumb tbh. Can't take maths and physics (worst at them) Don't know what I want to do with my life. Don't enjoy any subjects.
Subjects I can take: Business, Computer science, Eng literature, History, Eng language, Law, sociology , geography, digital media btech: Criminology,Business, IT, health and social.

I’d you don’t like any of those subjects, don’t do one, you won’t enjoy it which means you won’t get good grades, is there a reason you need to do 4 otherwise 3 is perfectly fine and 4 is probably too much work especially if you don’t like the subjects
Original post by Emily~3695
I’d you don’t like any of those subjects, don’t do one, you won’t enjoy it which means you won’t get good grades, is there a reason you need to do 4 otherwise 3 is perfectly fine and 4 is probably too much work especially if you don’t like the subjects

I don't enjoy any of the subjects I have taken. We are supposed to take 4 then drop one or continue it if we like. But I'm of course going to drop one lol.
I don't enjoy any of the subjects I have taken. We are supposed to take 4 then drop one or continue it if we like. But I'm of course going to drop one lol.

Oh ok, if you have to take 4 then just take the one your best at/ will get the best grades in are there no subjects that you like at all?
sociology is great! I did it and universities love it especially with today's political climate, it shows you're a versatile and academic student
comp sci is good
very easy tbh
Original post by vix.xvi
comp sci is good
very easy tbh

not at degree level haha
Oh ok, if you have to take 4 then just take the one your best at/ will get the best grades in are there no subjects that you like at all?

Nah literally hate them all. I was able to scrape passes at my gcse, the grades were similar throughout but I guess the higher ones were RS and English lit. I was originally going to pick physics but they gave me a 4 with me being on higher tier lmao.
Nah literally hate them all. I was able to scrape passes at my gcse, the grades were similar throughout but I guess the higher ones were RS and English lit. I was originally going to pick physics but they gave me a 4 with me being on higher tier lmao.

Ok, why did you pick biology chemistry and psychology, you might be able to make a 4th choice based on that? If not just do RS or English I guess because you are better at them, I think RS is generally seen as easier so that might be better
Original post by Ali12121
sociology is great! I did it and universities love it especially with today's political climate, it shows you're a versatile and academic student

Oh sweet. I saw people saying the workload is less than history but some unis view it as a 'soft' subject. Is this true?
Oh sweet. I saw people saying the workload is less than history but some unis view it as a 'soft' subject. Is this true?

Even if it is viewed as a soft subject it doesn’t really matter because you already have 3 good a levels, if you think you will enjoy sociology then go for it

absolutely not, do not be one of those people who call every subject a Mickley mouse subject, several russell groups have sociology on their recommended list, i wouldnt say its easier than history, the workload is definitely more in sociology but its much easier to understand and apply than history, universities love it though because of the essay skills and political skills you get from it
Original post by vix.xvi
comp sci is good
very easy tbh

I have been told it was hard. I didn't choose it for gcse's but it wasn't required. Isn't it maths based?
Ok, why did you pick biology chemistry and psychology, you might be able to make a 4th choice based on that? If not just do RS or English I guess because you are better at them, I think RS is generally seen as easier so that might be better

idk science sounds like a common option lol. Problem is i already knew the foundations for both religoons we had to study at gcses so I really can't tell if I would be good at it lmao
I have been told it was hard. I didn't choose it for gcse's but it wasn't required. Isn't it maths based?

nah not rly math based...but u need to be ok at binary etc...not too hard tho
i did it w/out th gcse too
Original post by Ali12121
absolutely not, do not be one of those people who call every subject a Mickley mouse subject, several russell groups have sociology on their recommended list, i wouldnt say its easier than history, the workload is definitely more in sociology but its much easier to understand and apply than history, universities love it though because of the essay skills and political skills you get from it

lmaooo mickey mouse dead. I was trying to find opinions but they always say about soft subjects and what not..Is history more of an argumentative subject compared to sociology?
Even if it is viewed as a soft subject it doesn’t really matter because you already have 3 good a levels, if you think you will enjoy sociology then go for it

tru
Original post by vix.xvi
nah not rly math based...but u need to be ok at binary etc...not too hard tho
i did it w/out th gcse too

fairs
Need another subject
About me: I'm pretty dumb tbh. Can't take maths and physics (worst at them) Don't know what I want to do with my life. Don't enjoy any subjects and the ones I have already chosen. Will be going to uni.
Subjects I can take: Business, Computer science, Eng literature, History, Eng language, Law, sociology , geography, digital media Rs. btech: Criminology,Business, IT, health and social.

Probably the softest subject that you're currently best at, although I would warn that A Level is nothing like GCSE whatsoever, so you may end up struggling even with subjects you're doing well at now, and there's always a lot of room for change during the first few weeks of year 12.

Also: If you're terrible at maths then I'd also warn about chemistry, as around a third of marks in chem are maths marks, and not all of these are easy to pick up either, so if you're struggling with badly it in the first few weeks of the course, don't be afraid to drop it and take something else (if you're able to, of course). Other than that, go for what you feel you'd enjoy I guess.
lmaooo mickey mouse dead. I was trying to find opinions but they always say about soft subjects and what not..Is history more of an argumentative subject compared to sociology?

sociology/politics/psychology are not soft subjects, subjects like textiles, food tech, etc are considered soft by unis, both history and sociology are argumentative, however, i did find the skills learnt in sociology to be much more invaluable as the research skills are quite useful to understand and use, both have historical elements of course as you will look at things like Marxism and the feminist movement in sociology which cover the entire 20th century period, but yeah I feel like sociology definitely allows you to stand out more and write an impressive essay because there's more scope to link current affairs and show wider knowledge as opposed to history which tends to have generic arguments
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest