The Student Room Group

i need an arranged answer to this

16 A metal surface is illuminated with ultraviolet light of a single frequency. Electrons are
emitted from the metal surface.
*(a) It can be observed that the electrons have a range of kinetic energies up to a specific
maximum.
Explain how this observation provides evidence to support the particle nature of light
rather than the wave nature of light.
Reply 1
Original post by riamu
16 A metal surface is illuminated with ultraviolet light of a single frequency. Electrons are
emitted from the metal surface.
*(a) It can be observed that the electrons have a range of kinetic energies up to a specific
maximum.
Explain how this observation provides evidence to support the particle nature of light
rather than the wave nature of light.

i know every bit of comparison between the two theories but i don't understand what points to include
The key is that no matter what a question looks like, the answer would be VERY similar if the topic is the same. So remember this!

I would write:

One photon interacts with one electrons and the energy transferred to the electron is E=hf and the energy is used for the electron to leave the electron shell. The remaining energy is used as the electrons kinetic energy where E=1/2(mv^2). Considering this, the electrons kinetic energy is limited. However with the wave model, energy could build up and kintetic energy is not limited, hence the particle model is applicable and adopted and the wave model is not

I think this would be a 3 or 4 mark question? And I think I have used around 3 or 4 points. My answer should get you full marks but if the teacher is strict then it may get you 3 marks.

Quick Reply