The Student Room Group

GCSE 2020 help!!

iii
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I moved it to a general forum so more people who are knowledgeable in uni applications can see this better. If you want I ask to get it to change to another forum :biggrin:

You could get into Child nursing at Manchester but it's just you dont have 5 Bs at GCSE but 4 Bs.

Research the unis you want to go to and check out their entry requirements and that will help you out
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
Hi, I moved it to a general forum so more people who are knowledgeable in uni applications can see this better. If you want I ask to get it to change to another forum :biggrin:

You could get into Child nursing at Manchester but it's just you dont have 5 Bs at GCSE but 4 Bs.

Research the unis you want to go to and check out their entry requirements and that will help you out

thank you for moving the post to the forum!! i really appreciate it!! i plan to sit my science and re again to hopefully get a 6 or above in them too. do you think I could get into nursing with alevels in english, psychology and business? i feel like business isn’t acceptable :frown:
You can re-sit your science at your local college
Original post by katiegsu5
thank you for moving the post to the forum!! i really appreciate it!! i plan to sit my science and re again to hopefully get a 6 or above in them too. do you think I could get into nursing with alevels in english, psychology and business? i feel like business isn’t acceptable :frown:

You could at Manchester since you have psychology but Im not sure at other unis so you need to research it. Very unis really care about subjects unless they specify. If they have a preferred list (e.g. LSE but they dont do nursing just using this as an example), you need to check it but you'll be fine since you have two of the preferred list subjects (english and psychology).
Reply 5
I didn’t get into bio for a levels and am now going to be studying psychology English and business. I plan to sit my GCSEs to up my grades this autumn and try to move to a different sixth form to start the alevels actually want to do in 2021 instead. Meaning I’ll be a year older then everyone in sixth form. But I’m not quite sure bc for nursing you don’t really need biology as im doing psychology but i feel like I should do it.
Gcse grades:
Math:6
English Lang:6
English lit:7
Science-55
Re-5
Fr-4
Hi-4
H&s-6
Art-5
I plan to redo my science and maybe my french and re? To get as much 6/7s as I can?
Do you think I could get into nursing with business, psychology and English?
Do you guys think I could get into Child/Adult nursing at a uni like Manchester or something ? Please help!!
(p.s I think this may be the wrong forum if so please move it if you can to somewhere i can get more help)
If you have any uni recommendations I should consider please leave them here!!

You've got very good grades to be honest, I would suggest doing a BTEC instead such as Applied Science or Health and Social care as you could still get onto child nursing with that and the entry requirements are DDM-DDD. There are also other top unis as well such as the Uni of Huddersfield or Uni of Salford. And the ranking of unis change every year. A levels will be very stressful.
Reply 6
You've got very good grades to be honest, I would suggest doing a BTEC instead such as Applied Science or Health and Social care as you could still get onto child nursing with that and the entry requirements are DDM-DDD. There are also other top unis as well such as the Uni of Huddersfield or Uni of Salford. And the ranking of unis change every year. A levels will be very stressful.
The best route I would suggest is doing a BTEC in health and social care level 3 extended diploma as this is equivalent to 3 A-Levels.

You will also get an insight of healthcare and it will put you into a better perspective of the type of nursing you may want to go into.

You will also be required to complete a specific amount of work experience/placement hours whilst doing this BTEC course which I think is a great opportunity for when you apply to uni and do your personal statement. These experiences can be added to your personal statement.

However, yes many uni's accept psychology, sociology or biology as one of your chosen A-Levels when applying for a nursing course.

But it is important to get some sort of experience in, whether that is volunteering at a hospital or working at a hospice.

Even if you want to go into children's nursing for instance maybe get some experience working at a nursery or shadowing health visitors.

Uni's like seeing an applicant have experience of some sort related to their chosen field they are applying for.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hibah786

Thank you for the reply!! Do you think doing a BTEC would give me a better chance at nursing than psychology, sociology and english?
Reply 9
Original post by angel247
The best route I would suggest is doing a BTEC in health and social care level 3 extended diploma as this is equivalent to 3 A-Levels.

You will also get an insight of healthcare and it will put you into a better perspective of the type of nursing you may want to go into.

You will also be required to complete a specific amount of work experience/placement hours whilst doing this BTEC course which I think is a great opportunity for when you apply to uni and do your personal statement. These experiences can be added to your personal statement.

However, yes many uni's accept psychology, sociology or biology as one of your chosen A-Levels when applying for a nursing course.

But it is important to get some sort of experience in, whether that is volunteering at a hospital or working at a hospice.

Even if you want to go into children's nursing for instance maybe get some experience working at a nursery or shadowing health visitors.

Uni's like seeing an applicant have experience of some sort related to their chosen field they are applying for.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you!! Do you think doing a BTEC would give me a better chance at nursing than doing psychology, sociology and english alevel?
Thank you!! Do you think doing a BTEC would give me a better chance at nursing than doing psychology, sociology and english alevel?

To be honest, I don't this it makes a difference but nowadays nearly every university accepts BTEC'S instead of A-levels for nursing but there are still some that don't consider as yet.

however, if you are planning to do mental health nursing, psychology would be good but i'm sure it doesn't make a difference on any type of nursing.

It's just that the BTEC gives you a basic insight what life in healthcare is like and you will find in your first year some content you will have already come across when studying your BTEC in basic terms.

good luck
Reply 11
To be honest, I don't this it makes a difference but nowadays nearly every university accepts BTEC'S instead of A-levels for nursing but there are still some that don't consider as yet.

however, if you are planning to do mental health nursing, psychology would be good but i'm sure it doesn't make a difference on any type of nursing.

It's just that the BTEC gives you a basic insight what life in healthcare is like and you will find in your first year some content you will have already come across when studying your BTEC in basic terms.

good luck

thank you!! this really helped!!

good luck

sorry, I meant "aswell as " not "instead of "

apologies
Thank you for the reply!! Do you think doing a BTEC would give me a better chance at nursing than psychology, sociology and english?

Hi, Sorry for the late reply. It wouldn't matter whether you do a levels or btec. Coz I did a BTEC and got onto nursing. It's also about work experience or volunteering to be honest. And at least with a BTEC you will have time on the side to get some hours of volunteering done. It will only depend if you want to get into a top university probably like Oxford 😂. But if you do a levels you can probably go into other careers if you ever change your mind apart from the healthcare ones. I hope that makes sense?
I didn’t get into bio for a levels and am now going to be studying psychology English and business. I plan to sit my GCSEs to up my grades this autumn and try to move to a different sixth form to start the alevels actually want to do in 2021 instead. Meaning I’ll be a year older then everyone in sixth form. But I’m not quite sure bc for nursing you don’t really need biology as im doing psychology but i feel like I should do it.
Gcse grades:
Math:6
English Lang:6
English lit:7
Science-55
Re-5
Fr-4
Hi-4
H&s-6
Art-5
I plan to redo my science and maybe my french and re? To get as much 6/7s as I can?
Do you think I could get into nursing with business, psychology and English?
Do you guys think I could get into Child/Adult nursing at a uni like Manchester or something ? Please help!!
(p.s I think this may be the wrong forum if so please move it if you can to somewhere i can get more help)
If you have any uni recommendations I should consider please leave them here!!

The good news Katie is, that so far you have made excellent progress. In terms of your GCSE's the Universities require at least a 4 in GCSE English and Maths, where as Midwifery requires the science at that this level.. How old are you? If you are 19 you could do an Access course instead of A levels which is a one year program where you could study Nursing and Midwifery which includes Health Science, Human Biology, and Health Studies

Marc
Reply 15
im going to do nursing in September in Manchester, didn't get great gcses but as long as you have a pass in maths English and science you're fine! my a levels were nothing to do with nursing as I had no idea what I wanted to do, I picked law, business and criminology and I got in! you can always take a foundation year or apply to a uni that entry requirements are done on UCAS points rather than grades. Lucky thing about nursing is its all the same course wherever you go as it has to fit with the nursing and midwifery board.At the end of the day they're looking for people with the passion and drive to want to do nursing and in todays world they need as many as they can get! just make sure when the time comes your persona statement reflects that. I'm sure youll end up where you want to be but I wouldn't worry about trying to change your already good gcses as they focus on a level grades a lot more so just work hard at achieving in them more than gcsesGood luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending