The Student Room Group

Everyone starting Year 13 In September - What answers do you need?

Poll

New Year 13s - who do you want to hear from?

Hey guys,

This thread is for everyone who's just finished Year 12, and is starting Year 13 in September.

Back in March, 70% of TSR users thought Year 10s and 12s were being forgotten by the government. Fast-forward to August, and we've been seeing loads of questions from those of you who've just finished Year 12, asking about what the situation is going to be for your year group heading into Year 13.

Following on from our open letter on behalf of students, we've been squirrelling away talking to people like Ofqual and the Department for Education to get some clarity and answers to your questions, and we know you probably have a lot of other questions about your future too.

So what answers and information do you guys need?

Who do you want it from and in what format?

We've got a few thoughts already, but the whole point is that these organisations/bodies hear your thoughts directly, so let us know.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(For the government/ofqual) Are there going to be any changes to our exams? I know a document has been released about changes since the consultation but for the majority of subjects there is not a single change. There has been changes to IB exams - so why not alevels?

Also, is there any plans/support in place for the class of 2021 uni places? - there is a large number of 2020 students who have deferred/are planning to re-apply or resit exams after the whole grades situation this year...

(not strictly a question, but...) I know it's varied from school to school and person to person...but this whole pandemic has (generally) benefited those who go to private schools, as compared to other schools the majority of them have been receiving full time tabled zoom lessons, while others at state schools have had to teach themselves from power points and textbooks (and some children don't even have access to the internet at home....).
Ofqual - How can we trust you not to make the same mistakes you made this year? What measures will you put in places to ensure grading is fair for us?

Exam boards - How will you make sure you correct grade inflation to make sure we are not disadvantaged against the last Year 13s, as A*s nearly doubled this year?

The government - What plans do you have in place should there be a second wave?

A general note to all: Both classes of 2021 have been severely disadvantaged. We have missed almost 5 months of learning, with some schools having more online lessons than others and widening the gap between students. Mocks have been cancelled for some, while others have gone ahead. Everyone is at different stages of their learning. We need clarity from you all about how our exams will go ahead - sooner rather than later. We are not statistics, you have our futures in your hands. Please ensure you are doing all you can to support us.
Honestly, I want to know clearly (with no last minute changes):

- How are we being marked next year? Are we doing exams online if Covid is still rampant or will it be like this years leaver where we go off mocks?
- if going based on mocks or other non exam format, I want a full description of how our (hopefully improved) system will work, so we have chance to remove any bias and base it off our individual academic strength, not a postcode. We deserve to know how this new system works, as we know how examination works.
- Will there be extra support or resources / or perhaps reduction in workload as a reparation for the time missed? What will be the resources / reductions specifically?
- How do you aim to help those who can not use online lessons / not able to work in a home environment this year? Those without adequate technology?
- What are our rights if we do not feel it is safe to go back to college?
- What are our options if we are not able to get the grade we hoped for, considering the fact that we have missed over half a year of college, will we be able to resit the year in full time college classrooms or at least be provided with grouped tutors so that we are not forced to individually study for our resits?
- What are our options if we wish to go another educational route? How are you funding / managing apprenticeships and are they a safe option?
- Have you any plans to change how universities consider applicants temporarily (this question is to whoever it concerns, universities or UCAS etc) considering that the current applicant system has chosen to benefit those who are in better colleges or areas? Are you trying to work around the governments lack of care, and how so?

final edit: and to the government, why is all this information so hard to find at the moment? We should not have to search over multiple articles, web pages and companies to know how to prepare for our future - I know it's a lot to ask on a government dealing with a pandemic, but please just make this information available on one webpage - no links, nothing. Text only will do, but as long as it's easy for everybody to access then I don't care how fancy it looks.
(edited 3 years ago)
I want to hear from all of them! :facepalm:
Original post by RazzzBerries
Ofqual - How can we trust you not to make the same mistakes you made this year? What measures will you put in places to ensure grading is fair for us?

Exam boards - How will you make sure you correct grade inflation to make sure we are not disadvantaged against the last Year 13s, as A*s nearly doubled this year?

A general note to all: Both classes of 2021 have been severely disadvantaged. We have missed almost 5 months of learning, with some schools having more online lessons than others and widening the gap between students. Mocks have been cancelled for some, while others have gone ahead. Everyone is at different stages of their learning. We need clarity from you all about how our exams will go ahead - sooner rather than later. We are not statistics, you have our futures in your hands. Please ensure you are doing all you can to support us.

This. As usual RazzzBerries you have impressed me with your opinion.
Original post by 5hyl33n

Exactly :lol:
TSR shouldn't even be the ones having to arrange this, they should be actively transparent on their own accord!

Original post by 5hyl33n
This. As usual RazzzBerries you have impressed me with your opinion.

Why thank you :lol:
It is the questions we're all asking really.
Original post by Becca216
(For the government/ofqual) Are there going to be any changes to our exams? I know a document has been released about changes since the consultation but for the majority of subjects there is not a single change. There has been changes to IB exams - so why not alevels?

Also, is there any plans/support in place for the class of 2021 uni places? - there is a large number of 2020 students who have deferred/are planning to re-apply or resit exams after the whole grades situation this year...

(not strictly a question, but...) I know it's varied from school to school and person to person...but this whole pandemic has (generally) benefited those who go to private schools, as compared to other schools the majority of them have been receiving full time tabled zoom lessons, while others at state schools have had to teach themselves from power points and textbooks (and some children don't even have access to the internet at home....).

Heya! Just to check, do you mean for Year 12s who are starting Year 13 this September?

These are really good questions. We've actually been speaking to the Department for Education today and asked some very similar stuff. Hopefully they'll give us some answers soon.

These are such good questions. We raised the question about the attainment gap widening today when we spoke to DfE and we were sharing concerns of the back of our open letter. I hope they and others are able to give some answers on that.
as above I need to hear from everyone
Original post by 2_versions

- How are we being marked next year? Are we doing exams online if Covid is still rampant or will it be like this years leaver where we go off mocks?
- if going based on mocks or other non exam format, I want a full description of how our (hopefully improved) system will work, so we have chance to remove any bias and base it off our individual academic strength, not a postcode. We deserve to know how this new system works, as we know how examination works.
- Will there be extra support or resources / or perhaps reduction in workload as a reparation for the time missed? What will be the resources / reductions specifically?
- How do you aim to help those who can not use online lessons / not able to work in a home environment this year? Those without adequate technology?
- What are our options if we are not able to get the grade we hoped for, considering the fact that we have missed over half a year of college, will we be able to resit the year in full time college classrooms or at least be provided with grouped tutors so that we are not forced to individually study for our resits?
- What are our options if we wish to go another educational route? How are you funding / managing apprenticeships and are they a safe option?
- Have you any plans to change how universities consider applicants temporarily (this question is to whoever it concerns, universities or UCAS etc) considering that the current applicant system has chosen to benefit those who are in better colleges or areas? Are you trying to work around the governments lack of care, and how so?

final edit: and to the government, why is all this information so hard to find at the moment? We should not have to search over multiple articles, web pages and companies to know how to prepare for our future - I know it's a lot to ask on a government dealing with a pandemic, but please just make this information available on one webpage - no links, nothing. Text only will do, but as long as it's easy for everybody to access then I don't care how fancy it looks.

'No last minute changes' - I feel like everyone will agree with you there, me included! These are some great questions. Can I just check what year you're in? Are you going into Year 13 this year?

We're also trying to help with the ease of getting information. You're right, it has been confusing/difficult. We've been trying to get the helpful stuff here and clear as possible. We'll keep doing that. :smile:

Original post by 5hyl33n

Yusssssss. We're working on iiiiit.

TSR shouldn't even be the ones having to arrange this, they should be actively transparent on their own accord!

:adore:
Original post by BlinkyBill
Heya! Just to check, do you mean for Year 12s who are starting Year 13 this September?

Yep :smile: And thank you for everything you are doing.
For the government: if everyone is unable to sit the summer 2021 exams, will a non-“mutant” algorithm be used/developed?

Are socially distant exams something you would consider?

For Ofqual: Are you considering additional changes to our A-level exams as the vast majority haven’t changed and aren’t accommodating for the months of self teaching? (If teaching ourselves from our textbooks was adequate enough then why do we have teachers?!)

For universities: As there was a massive grade inflation this year, will deferred applicants/applicants who received their results in 2020 be considered on equal terms to those applying this year? (Seems a bit unfair!)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Becca216
Yep :smile: And thank you for everything you are doing.

I'm just glad we can try and help in some way. :yes:
Yusssssss. We're working on iiiiit.

Thank you so much for trying to get some answers for us! You are doing an amazing job so far. You've definitely relieved some stress by just making this thread ahaha
Original post by 2_versions

&& If we do go based off mocks, what will private candidates do!
Hey guys,

This thread is for everyone who's just finished Year 12, and is starting Year 13 in September.

Back in March, 70% of TSR users thought Year 10s and 12s were being forgotten by the government. Fast-forward to August, and we've been seeing loads of questions from those of you who've just finished Year 12, asking about what the situation is going to be for your year group heading into Year 13.

Following on from our open letter on behalf of students, we've been squirrelling away talking to people like Ofqual and the Department for Education to get some clarity and answers to your questions, and we know you probably have a lot of other questions about your future too.

So what answers and information do you guys need?

Who do you want it from and in what format?

We've got a few thoughts already, but the whole point is that these organisations/bodies hear your thoughts directly, so let us know.

For all year 12 students who have been given unfair AS results.
- How will that affect our university applications
-If we decide to resit in autumn , will we get our results in time before the Uni application deadline
- For those starting at a new school for year 13, will they be able to resit their exams in the autumn?
I'm just glad we can try and help in some way. :yes:

thank you
Will there be more guidance for people doing coursework and practical based subjects? How can we make up for the lost time there?
Also for the government: What provision will you put in place for external/homeschooled candidates?
and can you confirm that you will be transparent and give everyone reasonable time to adjust to the changes that you put in place (and release any changes after consulting with Ofqual and others if necessary at an appropriate time to minimise the concern of students) :smile: e.g. no releasing statements at 10:30pm on Twitter :yy:
(edited 3 years ago)
These are such good questions. We raised the question about the attainment gap widening today when we spoke to DfE and we were sharing concerns of the back of our open letter. I hope they and others are able to give some answers on that.

Thank you for all that you're doing for us! :hugs:

:adore:

Seriously! It shouldn't be your problem, they should be provide clarity themselves. Reiterating above though, thank you and big hugs to everyone at TSR! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending