The Student Room Group

Adventures of a medical student

Scroll to see replies

The good thing about uni is there are no reports or parents evenings so you can just make up the grades you tell your parents! :biggrin:
Congrats on new blog a great idea! :five:
Original post by Scotney
The good thing about uni is there are no reports or parents evenings so you can just make up the grades you tell your parents! :biggrin:
Congrats on new blog a great idea! :five:

Very true. Thanks for the idea
Reply 22
I'd like to follow this :smile:
could you make the text in the OP bigger? very hard to read
Original post by Sinnoh
I'd like to follow this :smile:
could you make the text in the OP bigger? very hard to read

Cool - I will add you when I’m on my computer tomorrow and reformat it - I didn’t realise how small it was until I looked at it a bit earlier in my phone
Thirty three days until I move into halls...

The countdown has officially begun! I found out I was allocated Orchard Heights in the East Residential village just over a week ago now and completed the induction. The course starts on the 5th of October and there are about 3 weeks that you can move in over and a virtual induction for the course the week before. Whilst the allocated dates were a bit earlier than this for my halls I had a family event thing planned for earlier in the week commencing the 28th and my dad could only help on Thursdays or Fridays so I went for moving in on October 1st. I'm hoping this gives me a few days to get organised and meet people in the limited ways the uni are offering as I kind of didn't want to miss out on seeing my grandma who I probably won't get to see properly for ages if I go to uni as she isn't really going out and as things stand we wouldn't really be able to see much of each other due to the virus. My grandma did want to bu me something for uni though and I always feel bad about people giving me things so I decided that when the time is right she can buy my stethoscope - she seemed very pleased about this and I figured that when the time was right it would be useful and an expense I didn't have to budget for so that's a positive!

I've done so many responsible but boring admin tasks today - it is actually so tiring! My family think I went slightly overboard budgeting for the whole year but I thought I might as well as then there will only be the need to tweak it as the year goes on as opposed to having to draw a new one up constantly - well my dad approved of my approach anyway. I had to phone the contents insurance company to get some documents sent to me which was so stressful because despite having good grades I pretty much had zero idea what I was doing. I also looked over some of the recommendations for preparing for uni the uni have on their website which I found helpful. Since a level results day I haven't really done any work - I've seen so many threads on here with people asking what they should do before starting first year but personally I'm just going with what the uni said which was to do nothing; I figured I'll be doing stuff forevermore so I might as well make use of this last opportunity for a good while to take a break.

Organisation to do before uni still

Do all of the registering bits which opens at the beginning of September

Finish typing up the list of things to take with me

Cross-reference said list with what I own so I can make things to buy for uni

Get the rest of my documents in order

Buy any bits I need for uni

Think about how I might study at uni

Print my budget and put it in my accounts book

Send a few emails to various people

Change my sheets before I go so that if we are allowed home in the holidays I have fresh sheets and don't need to worry about it then (probably something for the day I go as it won't take us long to get there)

Things I'm doing before uni

[*]Walking the Clarendon way with my dad
[*]Meeting up with a friend from college
[*]Meeting up with a school friend
[*]Driving theory test
[*]Getting my eyes checked and having a flu jab
[*]Finishing my cushion cover I'm knitting
[*]Going out for coffee with my mum (I think I'm trying to get through all the independent coffee shop coffees before I go to uni to find the best)
Could I be tagged please? Good luck for when you start!
Original post by imogen28
Could I be tagged please? Good luck for when you start!

Thank you. I think I've done that
Amazing grades there! Tag me please?
Original post by DGeorge13
Thirty three days until I move into halls...

The countdown has officially begun! I found out I was allocated Orchard Heights in the East Residential village just over a week ago now and completed the induction. The course starts on the 5th of October and there are about 3 weeks that you can move in over and a virtual induction for the course the week before. Whilst the allocated dates were a bit earlier than this for my halls I had a family event thing planned for earlier in the week commencing the 28th and my dad could only help on Thursdays or Fridays so I went for moving in on October 1st. I'm hoping this gives me a few days to get organised and meet people in the limited ways the uni are offering as I kind of didn't want to miss out on seeing my grandma who I probably won't get to see properly for ages if I go to uni as she isn't really going out and as things stand we wouldn't really be able to see much of each other due to the virus. My grandma did want to bu me something for uni though and I always feel bad about people giving me things so I decided that when the time is right she can buy my stethoscope - she seemed very pleased about this and I figured that when the time was right it would be useful and an expense I didn't have to budget for so that's a positive!

I've done so many responsible but boring admin tasks today - it is actually so tiring! My family think I went slightly overboard budgeting for the whole year but I thought I might as well as then there will only be the need to tweak it as the year goes on as opposed to having to draw a new one up constantly - well my dad approved of my approach anyway. I had to phone the contents insurance company to get some documents sent to me which was so stressful because despite having good grades I pretty much had zero idea what I was doing. I also looked over some of the recommendations for preparing for uni the uni have on their website which I found helpful. Since a level results day I haven't really done any work - I've seen so many threads on here with people asking what they should do before starting first year but personally I'm just going with what the uni said which was to do nothing; I figured I'll be doing stuff forevermore so I might as well make use of this last opportunity for a good while to take a break.

Change my sheets before I go so that if we are allowed home in the holidays I have fresh sheets and don't need to worry about it then (probably something for the day I go as it won't take us long to get there)

[*]Driving theory test
[*]Going out for coffee with my mum (I think I'm trying to get through all the independent coffee shop coffees before I go to uni to find the best)

[*]Hi DGeorge looking forward to follow you on your next journey. Enjoy the last few days at home. I have to drop my son on the 11th as there fresher programme starts on the 12th. Already getting depressed thinking about it. Its hard being a parent.
Original post by MidnightSymphony
Amazing grades there! Tag me please?

Thanks I will do when I’m next on my computer .

I think I’ve done that now
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by messy accountant
[*]Hi DGeorge looking forward to follow you on your next journey. Enjoy the last few days at home. I have to drop my son on the 11th as there fresher programme starts on the 12th. Already getting depressed thinking about it. Its hard being a parent.

Good luck to your son.

[*]Yes it is!One of the most bitter sweet days when they start at uni. :console:
I've actually done things!

[*]Driving theory test

[*]Somehow I've actually been productive. That and taught my sister how to knit which she wanted to learn before I went to uni.
Twenty eight days until I move to uni...

I feel like time is actually going really fast which is both a good thing (soon I will actually have to do things again and be learning things as well as having justified imposter syndrome not just its irrational precursor) and a bad thing as in no way do I feel ready to be independent...

In terms of admin I've been doing relatively little as the uni haven't really been in contact yet - they said next few weeks about a week ago so I know it will not be long. I did return a phone call from the accommodation people as they called me due to being anxious about moving to uni - I'm not really sure how this happened as I remember filling in the induction and the options were vaguely: excited, apprehensive or terrified and I am relatively sure I put apprehensive as whilst I am vey excited there is the slight worry that comes with moving away. Luckily they were really nice about this and it was sorted out very quickly - still very nice of them to call and check though!

My parents have been helping me get things for uni which has been slightly stressful as we all have slightly different definitions of 'essential' and obviously I don't want to miss things and they are stressed out about me going to uni anyway but we are mostly done now with that. I just have a few storage bits to get so my things are organised as there is nothing worse than disorganisation in my view.Being bought things has definitely made me feel very guilty though as I really feel bad when people spend any money on me. I also finished buying clothes as most of my wardrobe is from when I was about 14 (I really haven't grown much since I was about 10!) and so I thought I should get some newer things especially that are more student friendly as opposed to all my woolly jumpers which would be a nightmare to wash - I managed to get this just using the savings from rounding up my spending over the year when I bought things (mainly coffee) which actually generated far more than I thought it would .
Twenty eight days until I move to uni...

I feel like time is actually going really fast which is both a good thing (soon I will actually have to do things again and be learning things as well as having justified imposter syndrome not just its irrational precursor) and a bad thing as in no way do I feel ready to be independent...

In terms of admin I've been doing relatively little as the uni haven't really been in contact yet - they said next few weeks about a week ago so I know it will not be long. I did return a phone call from the accommodation people as they called me due to being anxious about moving to uni - I'm not really sure how this happened as I remember filling in the induction and the options were vaguely: excited, apprehensive or terrified and I am relatively sure I put apprehensive as whilst I am vey excited there is the slight worry that comes with moving away. Luckily they were really nice about this and it was sorted out very quickly - still very nice of them to call and check though!

My parents have been helping me get things for uni which has been slightly stressful as we all have slightly different definitions of 'essential' and obviously I don't want to miss things and they are stressed out about me going to uni anyway but we are mostly done now with that. I just have a few storage bits to get so my things are organised as there is nothing worse than disorganisation in my view.Being bought things has definitely made me feel very guilty though as I really feel bad when people spend any money on me. I also finished buying clothes as most of my wardrobe is from when I was about 14 (I really haven't grown much since I was about 10!) and so I thought I should get some newer things especially that are more student friendly as opposed to all my woolly jumpers which would be a nightmare to wash - I managed to get this just using the savings from rounding up my spending over the year when I bought things (mainly coffee) which actually generated far more than I thought it would .

Don't worry most people buy new clothes before uni. Just a suggestion (and I am sure you have already done it) open a student bank account and make sure you receive all your bank cards before you go. I ensured my son put our home address as the main address as he will be moving into new addresses every year and the home address will be constant. You can ensure that you get online statements.
Hey! I'm about to start my first year of med school too, and I've been following your journey since the beginning of the application process. I'm so happy for you and I look forward to reading this blog. Would you be able to tag me please? Thank you. :smile:
Don't worry most people buy new clothes before uni. Just a suggestion (and I am sure you have already done it) open a student bank account and make sure you receive all your bank cards before you go. I ensured my son put our home address as the main address as he will be moving into new addresses every year and the home address will be constant. You can ensure that you get online statements.

Thank you - all sorted but I'm trying to weigh up where to get another account with for organisation.
Original post by EClark0224
Hey! I'm about to start my first year of med school too, and I've been following your journey since the beginning of the application process. I'm so happy for you and I look forward to reading this blog. Would you be able to tag me please? Thank you. :smile:

Good luck for first year. Where are you going? I think I've done that
Thank you - all sorted but I'm trying to weigh up where to get another account with for organisation.

My son has got a instant access saving account with the same bank as his student account. I advised him to transfer most of his student loan into saving account and only transfer to current when he needs it.
My son has got a instant access saving account with the same bank as his student account. I advised him to transfer most of his student loan into saving account and only transfer to current when he needs it.

Having looked into that it looks like a good idea. That said currently interest rates are non existent...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending