chances of getting into investment banking/Quantitative analyst

Watch
henrythegury
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So right now I am going to do physics at Swansea university 2020, I know it isn't a target university but I'm hoping to secure a first class for my undergraduate and hopefully get into the top 5 unis for IB to peruse a masters in physics, which should increase my chance of getting into IB, but my initial plan was to gain a Phd in physics and then get into the quantitative side of IB. Also please bare in mind that I'm not solely planning to do a Phd-physics for banking since that would defile the whole point of doing it and i could've done a economics degree which would be more relevant.

Furthermore, I haven't achieved the right a level grades due to the whole pandemic and awarding CAG(centre assessed grades) by teachers benefited most of the students but a small portion of students which includes me were disadvantaged since we didn't perform well for mocks and my 6th from had a whole change of staff during year 13 so it was hard for the teachers to asses a students capability.

Now just to summaries everything

I wanted to know my chances of breaking into IB with a 1st class in physics at Swansea and a masters in physics from a top 5 IB targeted university and also might do a Phd in physics if i ever wanted to go into research also keeping in mind that my a levels aren't the best, I know its going to be extremely hard but I'm sure with more recent qualifications such as the masters and degree should outweigh my a levels.
Last edited by henrythegury; 1 month ago
JamesHardenRocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by henrythegury)
So right now I am going to do physics at Swansea university 2020, I know it isn't a target university but I'm hoping to secure a first class for my undergraduate and hopefully get into the top 5 unis for IB to peruse a masters in physics, which should increase my chance of getting into IB, but my initial plan was to gain a Phd in physics and then get into the quantitative side of IB. Also please bare in mind that I'm not solely planning to do a Phd-physics for banking since that would defile the whole point of doing it and i could've done a economics degree which would be more relevant.

Furthermore, I haven't achieved the right a level grades due to the whole pandemic and awarding CAG(centre assessed grades) by teachers benefited most of the students but a small portion of students which includes me were disadvantaged since we didn't perform well for mocks and my 6th from had a whole change of staff during year 13 so it was hard for the teachers to asses a students capability.

Now just to summaries everything

I wanted to know my chances of breaking into IB with a 1st class in physics at Swansea and a masters in physics from a top 5 IB targeted university and also might do a Phd in physics if i ever wanted to go into research also keeping in mind that my a levels aren't the best, I know its going to be extremely hard but I'm sure with more recent qualifications such as the masters and degree should outweigh my a levels.
Experience typically beats out grades especially the further along you go in your university career, your final degree classification and even your first year grade would go a long way to balancing out sub-par grades especially given the circumstances surrounding this academic year.

STEM students are highly sort after, the quant/strat side of finance is a high growth area in finance so don't worry, good physics degree, along with some coding (Python) would boost your chances. Focus on getting insight days and learning as much as you can about the industry.

You most definitely have a chance, grades/ subjects are just one part of an application but the subject you're studying and the area you're interested in definitely boost your overall chances as it's in high demand
Last edited by JamesHardenRocks; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (48)
16.16%
I'm not sure (8)
2.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (101)
34.01%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.35%
I'm not a current university student (136)
45.79%

Watched Threads