The Student Room Group

Why do I feel so old :((

So I’m 19 (and a half) and Idk why but over this quarantine I’ve just started feeling like I’m really really old now and feel like I barely have time left to do anything fun
I know the 20s are supposed to be some of the best years of your life but I just feel like once I hit 20 I’m suddenly gonna start thinking I’m too old to be wearing some kinds of things, going to certain places even though that probably isn’t true.
I still have 7 months of being 19 left but I’m already dreading turning 20 even though I’m sure it’ll be more fun and I’ll have more independence and trust from my parents and physically I’ll probably look better because my teenage years were not the best in terms of physical attractiveness but instead of looking forward to these things I’m dreading the idea of saying I’m 20 something
Mind you I don’t look or feel different from when I was 15/16 and I don’t look like I’m 19. Also my parents have not really aged so I’m sure I’ll be fine in terms of aging but I just feel like turning 20 will just make it so unacceptable to wear stuff like crop tops, skinny jeans, colourful clothing or do stuff like getting really drunk, being confused about school work, using slang or even using social media like Instagram or snapchat etc.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m 19 (and a half) and Idk why but over this quarantine I’ve just started feeling like I’m really really old now and feel like I barely have time left to do anything fun
I know the 20s are supposed to be some of the best years of your life but I just feel like once I hit 20 I’m suddenly gonna start thinking I’m too old to be wearing some kinds of things, going to certain places even though that probably isn’t true.
I still have 7 months of being 19 left but I’m already dreading turning 20 even though I’m sure it’ll be more fun and I’ll have more independence and trust from my parents and physically I’ll probably look better because my teenage years were not the best in terms of physical attractiveness but instead of looking forward to these things I’m dreading the idea of saying I’m 20 something
Mind you I don’t look or feel different from when I was 15/16 and I don’t look like I’m 19. Also my parents have not really aged so I’m sure I’ll be fine in terms of aging but I just feel like turning 20 will just make it so unacceptable to wear stuff like crop tops, skinny jeans, colourful clothing or do stuff like getting really drunk, being confused about school work, using slang or even using social media like Instagram or snapchat etc.

you have plenty of time to do all those things if you want to do them, some people go clubbing and such and don't really settle down until their 30's these days.
and some of us never do!
Reply 3
I feel old at 18 lol.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
you have plenty of time to do all those things if you want to do them, some people go clubbing and such and don't really settle down until their 30's these days.

Idk it just feels like I can’t do some of the things I enjoyed as a teenager- for example, certain dressing styles such as crop tops etc. (I feel like I need to dress more ‘mature’), certain foods like baby bel which I love but feel like it would be considered childish, animated films which I also love but again feel like I am too old to ‘still’ be watching them at 20, this is ridiculous but even making pretty notes which is something I love doing but feel like it’s a very teenager thing to do. Even liking some junk food now I’m like, well that’s not a very mature thing to like etc.
Idk how to stop feeling like this because I know I’m not old and I won’t be considered anywhere near old until at least another 15-20 years but still feel like I need to grow up and basicaly become a fully functioning adult by 20
Reply 5
Honestly, I’m not even worried about aging, it’s just 19 feels like a weird age where idk whether I should act old and act young and is making me question so many of my likes and dislikes
Honestly, I’m not even worried about aging, it’s just 19 feels like a weird age where idk whether I should act old and act young and is making me question so many of my likes and dislikes

dont worry abt acting old or acting young, just be you
Idk it just feels like I can’t do some of the things I enjoyed as a teenager- for example, certain dressing styles such as crop tops etc. (I feel like I need to dress more ‘mature’), certain foods like baby bel which I love but feel like it would be considered childish, animated films which I also love but again feel like I am too old to ‘still’ be watching them at 20, this is ridiculous but even making pretty notes which is something I love doing but feel like it’s a very teenager thing to do. Even liking some junk food now I’m like, well that’s not a very mature thing to like etc.
Idk how to stop feeling like this because I know I’m not old and I won’t be considered anywhere near old until at least another 15-20 years but still feel like I need to grow up and basicaly become a fully functioning adult by 20

Don't worry. :smile:
I'm 25 and still wear crop tops, watch animated musical children's movies, have over 100 toy animals that wear clothes & enjoy tea parties.
Still enjoy cherryade and some junk food from takeaways a few times a month.
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
I'm 25 and still wear crop tops, watch animated musical children's movies, have over 100 toy animals that wear clothes & enjoy tea parties.

Sounds fun.
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst

This will be me, did you ever feel like you were 'too old'??
32 here. I thought it would be a good idea to cut my hair into a mohawk about 30 minutes ago! I do not regret it. :cool:

Who exactly is gonna stop you wearing skinny jeans or getting drunk? This isn't KSA, we don't have a morality police. :biggrin:
This will be me, did you ever feel like you were 'too old'??

Sometimes, usually when I am babysitting friends children.
The oldest of whom is almost 11.

You don't have to stop any of those things just because you are 20. Plenty of people do them into their 20s and beyond. You are overthinking things. Just keep doing what you enjoy.
same except in not even 18

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending