The Student Room Group

Still confused with a-level choices

Hey, I need help deciding what to choose.

I want to be a psychologist when I grow up but I don’t have the grades to do bio A-level.

I’m confused on which 3 I should choose.

I want to study psychology and sociology definitely but I’m unsure on the 3rd. I can’t decide between business studies or media. I know they’re both not “academic” A-level choices but I really want to do one of those.
Which one would say is better? I feel like I’ll get a higher grade in media than business but I’m not sure. Is media less respected than business? I’m aware they’re not respected a-level choices but it’s something I’m interested in. Also, with my subject choices am I even able to get into a psychology degree? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

If you're unsure on what subjects are required maybe have a look at some psychology courses on uni websites, they should state the entry requirements. I can't see them being super specific so you should be fine with those. As for you third choice do whatever you think you'll enjoy the most! I'm applying to medicine this year and do drama which is pretty unconventional but I love it to bits - don't stress too much about which is more 'respected' as at the end of the day you want to spend 2 years doing something you actually like because you'll be putting a lot of work into it. If you think you'll get a higher grade in media then maybe do that, I think most psychology courses look for a couple of A's.
Reply 2
Original post by francisab03
If you're unsure on what subjects are required maybe have a look at some psychology courses on uni websites, they should state the entry requirements. I can't see them being super specific so you should be fine with those. As for you third choice do whatever you think you'll enjoy the most! I'm applying to medicine this year and do drama which is pretty unconventional but I love it to bits - don't stress too much about which is more 'respected' as at the end of the day you want to spend 2 years doing something you actually like because you'll be putting a lot of work into it. If you think you'll get a higher grade in media then maybe do that, I think most psychology courses look for a couple of A's.

Thank you soo much for your response! I’m just super nervous tbh I don’t really know if I’m taking a huge risk choosing media. I hope you get into medicine! My GCSEs aren’t great so I want to prove my capabilities at A-level.
what about politics? or english language?
Reply 4
Original post by Kerasquioxian
what about politics? or english language?

Hmm I’m not too keen on politics but I’ll look into English language. I don’t really know if I’ll do well in English for A-level though.
Reply 5
Original post by -novice-
Hey, I need help deciding what to choose.

I want to be a psychologist when I grow up but I don’t have the grades to do bio A-level.

I’m confused on which 3 I should choose.

I want to study psychology and sociology definitely but I’m unsure on the 3rd. I can’t decide between business studies or media. I know they’re both not “academic” A-level choices but I really want to do one of those.
Which one would say is better? I feel like I’ll get a higher grade in media than business but I’m not sure. Is media less respected than business? I’m aware they’re not respected a-level choices but it’s something I’m interested in. Also, with my subject choices am I even able to get into a psychology degree? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

I suggest you have a good look at entry requirements for universities, they are often very specific about subjects and grades. e.g. York Uni says AAA including at least one science. We include Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths as science subjects.

So you certainly could be accepted onto a degree with your subjects. The more important thing is going to be your grades, getting 3 As is tough. What were your GCSE grades?

If you really struggle with the exam side, you could look at doing a BTEC National Extended Diploma in Science?
Thank you soo much for your response! I’m just super nervous tbh I don’t really know if I’m taking a huge risk choosing media. I hope you get into medicine! My GCSEs aren’t great so I want to prove my capabilities at A-level.

Sometimes universities will have lists of accepted subjects on their websites or what they reject (typically only General Studies and Critical Thinking). You could also email the admissions team for psychology to ask whether or not they'd accept media, the email address is usually on the page for that degree :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by francisab03
Sometimes universities will have lists of accepted subjects on their websites or what they reject (typically only General Studies and Critical Thinking). You could also email the admissions team for psychology to ask whether or not they'd accept media, the email address is usually on the page for that degree :smile:

Thanks! I’ll definitely have a look. Sociology isn’t considered a general studies A-level is it? Also, would you say it’s a good choice if I choose media instead of business?
Reply 8
Original post by L-K
I suggest you have a good look at entry requirements for universities, they are often very specific about subjects and grades. e.g. York Uni says AAA including at least one science. We include Psychology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths as science subjects.

So you certainly could be accepted onto a degree with your subjects. The more important thing is going to be your grades, getting 3 As is tough. What were your GCSE grades?

If you really struggle with the exam side, you could look at doing a BTEC National Extended Diploma in Science?

Thanks I’ll definitely have a look! Sadly I’ve never gotten an A at gcse but I’m willing to push myself to reach the highest I can! I wasn’t really organised at gcse so I want to change that. I really am determined to prove my potential at A-level as my GCSEs aren’t great.
For Psychology at Bristol - as just one example - you need to be doing one 'science related subject', and they include Geography, Computer Science and Psychology on that list. There will be many other courses/Unis who will not want Biology and will be quite happy with just Psychology.

Sociology is not considered a soft subject - its a solid, academic, essay-based subject.
It would compliment Psych well. And if the 3rd subject is nt specified by Unis, then it makes sense to take a subject which you feel you will enjoy and are likely to get a good grade.
Reply 10
Original post by McGinger
For Psychology at Bristol - as just one example - you need to be doing one 'science related subject', and they include Geography, Computer Science and Psychology on that list. There will be many other courses/Unis who will not want Biology and will be quite happy with just Psychology.

Sociology is not considered a soft subject - its a solid, academic, essay-based subject.
It would compliment Psych well. And if the 3rd subject is nt specified by Unis, then it makes sense to take a subject which you feel you will enjoy and are likely to get a good grade.

Thanks for your response! Do you think I’m making a good choice choosing media? I don’t know if it’s a good or bad idea. Also, do you think I’ll be able to go to any Russel group universities with my a-level choices?
Reply 11
Thanks I’ll definitely have a look! Sadly I’ve never gotten an A at gcse but I’m willing to push myself to reach the highest I can! I wasn’t really organised at gcse so I want to change that. I really am determined to prove my potential at A-level as my GCSEs aren’t great.

Sorry, I may not have been clear, that's AAA at A level! So there is still time, but it will be hard work.
Reply 12
Thanks for your response! Do you think I’m making a good choice choosing media? I don’t know if it’s a good or bad idea. Also, do you think I’ll be able to go to any Russel group universities with my a-level choices?

Hi I did Psychology, Economics and Law for my A-levels and I applied to three Russell Group universities (uni of Manchester, uni of Sheffield and UCL) and got offered places from all three to study psychology! When picking A-levels make sure it's something you enjoy or find interesting otherwise they are painfully hard to revise as I have learn from my own experience lol
(edited 3 years ago)

Media would be fine as a 3rd choice - if that subject is not specified by the Uni then they really aren't fussed as long as you get the required high grade. If they say a subject is 'preferred' (ie. 'a second science is preferred'), of 'recommended' ((Ie. 'Maths is recommended'), then that is what they mean.

Btw, if worth having one ambitious choice like Bristol (they ask A*AA, but will consider making offers to applicants with AAA predictions) but make sure your other choices are more realistic.

You need to check each Uni entry requirements carefully - A levels and GCSEs - they will all be different. In particular check that you have the right GCSE Maths grade!
Reply 14
What are the alevels that you do ?? I’m a bit confused aswell I got the highest grades in bio (8) and chem (9) out of all my GCSE’s I like them but idk if I like them enough to do it at alevel, I’m also not 100% sure if I want to do medicine at university maybe dentistry or psychologist maybe even a midwife instead
Reply 15
Original post by Hsxo
What are the alevels that you do ?? I’m a bit confused aswell I got the highest grades in bio (8) and chem (9) out of all my GCSE’s I like them but idk if I like them enough to do it at alevel, I’m also not 100% sure if I want to do medicine at university maybe dentistry or psychologist maybe even a midwife instead

Wow those grades are great! I’m not studying A-levels at the moment I’m just finalising my choices as I’m confused.
Reply 16
Original post by McGinger
Media would be fine as a 3rd choice - if that subject is not specified by the Uni then they really aren't fussed as long as you get the required high grade. If they say a subject is 'preferred' (ie. 'a second science is preferred'), of 'recommended' ((Ie. 'Maths is recommended'), then that is what they mean.

Btw, if worth having one ambitious choice like Bristol (they ask A*AA, but will consider making offers to applicants with AAA predictions) but make sure your other choices are more realistic.

You need to check each Uni entry requirements carefully - A levels and GCSEs - they will all be different. In particular check that you have the right GCSE Maths grade!

Thanks for your response! Sadly I only have a grade 5 in maths so I’ll have to look at the best option for that. I really want to show my true potential at A-level but I’m not sure if business or media is preferred. May I ask what you mean by ‘your other choices must be realistic? Thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by mayahl
Hi I did Psychology, Economics and Law for my A-levels and I applied to three Russell Group universities (uni of Manchester, uni of Sheffield and UCL) and got offered places from all three to study psychology! When picking A-levels make sure it's something you enjoy or find interesting otherwise they are painfully hard to revise as I have learn from my own experience lol

Thanks for your response! Wow it’s great to hear you got places at great universities I’m proud! haha. Thanks I’ll definitely look into it more.
Reply 18
Original post by L-K
Sorry, I may not have been clear, that's AAA at A level! So there is still time, but it will be hard work.

Yeah that’s true! I just hope I can prove to people that I have potential, I really don’t want my GCSEs to define me as they’re not great.
Thanks! I’ll definitely have a look. Sociology isn’t considered a general studies A-level is it? Also, would you say it’s a good choice if I choose media instead of business?

Nope, general studies is a completely separate thing (I don't think many schools offer it anymore). If you think you'll enjoy media more then I'd say go for it. I don't know anyone who does business but I have a friend who does media and she loves it!

Quick Reply

Latest