llamab
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Couldn't find a thread for the upcoming application cycle anywhere, so thought I would start it. Anyone else on TSR applying? For which scheme?

I'm planning to apply for Gov Social Research as my top choice, would be great to get to know others in the same boat!
lkate93
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

I'm applying for the GSR as my top choice too - still undecided on what to put for my other preferences!

Do you know when the application window is this year?
Kmo7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by llamab)
Couldn't find a thread for the upcoming application cycle anywhere, so thought I would start it. Anyone else on TSR applying? For which scheme?

I'm planning to apply for Gov Social Research as my top choice, would be great to get to know others in the same boat!
Hello I’m applying too! I think I’ll put the general Stream as my first choice.

Have you applied in the past? I did last year but never got through. Felt the prep I had done on ‘assessment day’ didn’t prepare me well last year so was intrigued to find out what you are using for prep? Thank you
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just a random blah post about my experience with the most recent Fast Stream recruitment.

I got through the FSAC this year but ultimately declined roles offered as they couldn't take account of my caring circumstances (possibly because my caring responsibility is split with another person, which blows my mind given how many separated parents there are...) and expected me to move. I actually started the ball rolling really early to ensure these were taken into consideration. It is really disappointing. I live in the rural North so not in a comfortable position for Fast Stream roles really as all offered were London, Bristol and... Blackpool. They made it really seem like they were really trying their best... like changing from London... to Bristol. Land's End next? With COVID-19 they did offer wiggle room for a remote role - but with a future and nearing expectation that I go onto a site permanently nowhere near me in line with gov guidance... for some reason they couldn't see it just doesn't work, it's delaying a problem that will eventually rear its head.

Funnily enough I really wanted a role in Newcastle, for me the commute is doable and there's a lot going on there CS-wise. One of the folks who attended my FSAC who lives in London has now told me their first role is in Newcastle. They are not restricted in any way. It is totally mind boggling that someone with restrictions who would want that location... gets London and Newcastle gets offered to someone unrestricted who is living in the FS hotspot for roles - London. Like, I can't even fathom what is going on in the Fast Stream team, they are in shambles. Trying to actually communicate with them, either by phone (especially this my god nobody ever picks up) and email - different person picking up your trail everytime and putting their own gloriously awful stamp on it is just... a headache I am happy to move on from.

I won't be applying anymore. I'm in a great role in the CS already and I'm happy - it's not even a promotion for me anymore thankfully. I'd imagine folks in this thread will encounter the same barriers, misinformation, errors etc what everyone encountered last year.

Hope everyone doesn't get that though. It should be a great experience. Hopefully people don't get caught up in it all and remember you're not just there to advance your career, you're there to do a good job too. They don't go hand in hand. On another note the FSAC experience is cool and I really enjoyed it, staff were friendly, the content was interesting (albeit a bit comical in the group task) and you really walk away feeling exhausted. I missed my train home because the first group overran, lol. I'm shocked at the space the estate for it takes up for the Newcastle FSAC, huge corridors and countless empty rooms, like CS what are you doing??? I loathe iPads too, I'm more a desktop person... Felt like a dinosaur using them! Didn't like most of the other applicants, kinda felt a bit snooty of one another - doing **** measuring with the grades and such. I'm not sure many of them knew much about the CS aside from the FS, which I find really odd. Met two people I've kept in touch with though still who I'm happy to say were both successful and I'm really proud of them both.

There was an underlying feeling that I walked away with that the tasks are suited for the PPE grads, so if you're doing that or one of those elements you'll probably fly through.

I generally float around these threads every year but will be avoiding this one when it comes active as I'm tired of it. You kinda read the same issues every year and you know there's never a 'lessons learned' for them. Best of luck.

Nearly every question you could ask here (and the same will still being asked in 100 pages time) can be found here;

https://www.faststream.gov.uk/faqs/index.html
llamab
Rep:
?
(Original post by lkate93)
Hey,

I'm applying for the GSR as my top choice too - still undecided on what to put for my other preferences!

Do you know when the application window is this year?
I think I'll be going for Generalist, Digital & Data, and...not sure what to put down for last option hah. I have no idea when applications will open, sadly!
llamab
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kmo7)
Hello I’m applying too! I think I’ll put the general Stream as my first choice.

Have you applied in the past? I did last year but never got through. Felt the prep I had done on ‘assessment day’ didn’t prepare me well last year so was intrigued to find out what you are using for prep? Thank you
Hello! So I applied to EDIP way back in 2015 and didn't get through, applied for SDIP and got put on reserve list and then rejected..and last year applied completely at the last minute for FS grad scheme and I didn't even pass the tests Did you use any online test packs? Because as I understand it, CS don't test on the usual numerical and verbal - its SJT and 'Work style behaviour'.
llamab
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vexper)
Just a random blah post about my experience with the most recent Fast Stream recruitment.

I got through the FSAC this year but ultimately declined roles offered as they couldn't take account of my caring circumstances (possibly because my caring responsibility is split with another person, which blows my mind given how many separated parents there are...) and expected me to move. I actually started the ball rolling really early to ensure these were taken into consideration. It is really disappointing. I live in the rural North so not in a comfortable position for Fast Stream roles really as all offered were London, Bristol and... Blackpool. They made it really seem like they were really trying their best... like changing from London... to Bristol. Land's End next? With COVID-19 they did offer wiggle room for a remote role - but with a future and nearing expectation that I go onto a site permanently nowhere near me in line with gov guidance... for some reason they couldn't see it just doesn't work, it's delaying a problem that will eventually rear its head.

Funnily enough I really wanted a role in Newcastle, for me the commute is doable and there's a lot going on there CS-wise. One of the folks who attended my FSAC who lives in London has now told me their first role is in Newcastle. They are not restricted in any way. It is totally mind boggling that someone with restrictions who would want that location... gets London and Newcastle gets offered to someone unrestricted who is living in the FS hotspot for roles - London. Like, I can't even fathom what is going on in the Fast Stream team, they are in shambles. Trying to actually communicate with them, either by phone (especially this my god nobody ever picks up) and email - different person picking up your trail everytime and putting their own gloriously awful stamp on it is just... a headache I am happy to move on from.

I won't be applying anymore. I'm in a great role in the CS already and I'm happy - it's not even a promotion for me anymore thankfully. I'd imagine folks in this thread will encounter the same barriers, misinformation, errors etc what everyone encountered last year.

Hope everyone doesn't get that though. It should be a great experience. Hopefully people don't get caught up in it all and remember you're not just there to advance your career, you're there to do a good job too. They don't go hand in hand. On another note the FSAC experience is cool and I really enjoyed it, staff were friendly, the content was interesting (albeit a bit comical in the group task) and you really walk away feeling exhausted. I missed my train home because the first group overran, lol. I'm shocked at the space the estate for it takes up for the Newcastle FSAC, huge corridors and countless empty rooms, like CS what are you doing??? I loathe iPads too, I'm more a desktop person... Felt like a dinosaur using them! Didn't like most of the other applicants, kinda felt a bit snooty of one another - doing **** measuring with the grades and such. I'm not sure many of them knew much about the CS aside from the FS, which I find really odd. Met two people I've kept in touch with though still who I'm happy to say were both successful and I'm really proud of them both.

There was an underlying feeling that I walked away with that the tasks are suited for the PPE grads, so if you're doing that or one of those elements you'll probably fly through.

I generally float around these threads every year but will be avoiding this one when it comes active as I'm tired of it. You kinda read the same issues every year and you know there's never a 'lessons learned' for them. Best of luck.

Nearly every question you could ask here (and the same will still being asked in 100 pages time) can be found here;

Hello Vexper! Have seen you on the older forums, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with relocating! I wasn't aware you were already a CS, but happy you're still in a good position with work

I'm not a PPE grad myself, but have done Sociology with quant methods hence interested in Social Research/even direct appointments at ONS tbh. I have a couple of relevant work experiences, but I also hope my upcoming Masters course will be useful in developing the kind of research skills they're looking for.

I know you've had to answer a billion of these already BUT if as a parting gift you had any tips for us this year? Would be great to hear your insights on the prep. TIA anyway
Kmo7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! So I applied to EDIP way back in 2015 and didn't get through, applied for SDIP and got put on reserve list and then rejected..and last year applied completely at the last minute for FS grad scheme and I didn't even pass the tests Did you use any online test packs? Because as I understand it, CS don't test on the usual numerical and verbal - its SJT and 'Work style behaviour'.
So relate to this - failed so many psychometric tests myself! These graduate schemes make you feel stupid sometimes 😅. They’re painful!

Yeah so I have been using the ‘assessment day’ test pack! Last year I applied for the science stream as my first choice so I think that’s why I had a numerical assessment? The format of it was very different to what I was used to! I’ve got a different pack from job test prep this year so hoping that helps. Do you have any tips?

Also, congrats on getting to the reserve list. That’s an achievement on itself
Kmo7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the grad scheme. Seems like such a shame to have gotten so far but ultimately having to reject it.

Thank you taking the time to share your experience on this forum!
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello Vexper! Have seen you on the older forums, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with relocating! I wasn't aware you were already a CS, but happy you're still in a good position with work

I'm not a PPE grad myself, but have done Sociology with quant methods hence interested in Social Research/even direct appointments at ONS tbh. I have a couple of relevant work experiences, but I also hope my upcoming Masters course will be useful in developing the kind of research skills they're looking for.

I know you've had to answer a billion of these already BUT if as a parting gift you had any tips for us this year? Would be great to hear your insights on the prep. TIA anyway
Ah no worries! 2020 has been a real year for things going a bit pear shaped, it's a write off

I'd say for all the initial testing take the perspective of a leader as that's what the scheme is about. Look to the horizon of the issues at hand - short term solutions often cause more problems and damage rather than long term solutions which are cost effective, enable an organisation to change at a managed pace and such. I always felt there were options which looked like an easy way out to choose but when you consider the long term prospects, they offer little resolution.

For example, one team is reluctant to work with another team on a joint project. Short term solution is to find another team to work with them on it. The project still gets done. A long term solution is to find out why they can't work together currently and come up with a plan of action to change this. There may come a time where there are no other teams to take resource from - long term solutions are often always better. Some of the testing I feel does tempt short term solutions where long term ones may be more difficult to see for those who desire immediate results - and don't see the risks or lack of development opportunities.

With video interview I would be firm with why you want to join the Fast Stream - and the qualities and experience you can bring to it.

FSAC is fast paced and difficult to prepare for. Being good at drafting, presenting and persuasion is probably key. Be positive with everyone and inclusive. Be bold in your ideas in the one to one task and take great account of the statistics available when it comes to the written task. It'll probably be good practice doing essay style work on comparing differing ideas.

Good luck!
jg2012
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ll be applying again this year.

I got through to FSAC last year but was unsuccessful; although I’m still hoping a job may come of it through DAS (would be nice).

I think now that I’ve experience it I could pass it this year.

It’s not something you can practice for in any way (i wish I knew that) it’s more a feeling of confidence, handling yourself well and little things let you shine in the group task.

I felt that I waffled during the role play but I remained resolute, confident and answered the questions. They noted I was confident and adaptable during the questions, therefore I’d say just the appearance of confidence will help you a lot. And think ‘big’ with your ideas. For some reason I just couldn’t adjust between role playing and then her asking real questions. I ended up thinking of great answers on the train home....

Communication from them is utterly woeful though. The number is a dead line. I only got confirmation of my train ticket and hotel 1 hour before having to leave, which was mega stressful as I had to travel from outside Glasgow.
Last edited by jg2012; 1 month ago
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In case anyone was planning on contacting FS over their Twitter;

https://twitter.com/faststreamuk/sta...80029403303936

No longer in operation :rolleyes:
jg2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In case anyone was planning on contacting FS over their Twitter;

https://twitter.com/faststreamuk/sta...80029403303936

No longer in operation :rolleyes:
Not surprising. They got a lot of angry nonsense and spammed a few months back.

The usual anti-intellectual brigade on Twitter who think further education is a con and that the civil service is a closed off ‘liberal’ elitists organisation. Lots of moans about the FS process and the testing (which is bog standard for every job nowadays).
Marfyy2
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I will be applying again this year for the fourth year in a row however it's not as important to me as it was the last few times!
First time I got to FSAC but didn't actually attend because my anxiety got the better of me and I withdrew (basically thinking there was no way I'd measure up and I was only going to make a fool of myself) - very silly of me but we live and learn!
Next time I attended FSAC but failed there by 0.02 points (😂😭)...
Last time I really f***ed up my video interview and didn't pass that! I knew the day I recorded it that I'd blown it! I don't really know what happened to me but I was umm'ing and ah'ing like no one's business, freezing and blanking on word - didn't fill the time on any of the questions! 🤦
2020 - 4th time lucky! 🤞

That said, I'm in a much better job than I was in my previous years with better chance of progression without needing the fast stream. It still really appeals to me though because above all I like the placements aspect. Having had one terrible experience in a brand new role, where people asked stupid questions like, "Well, if you hate it so much, why did you apply?" (My answer being well obviously, if I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it I wouldn't have! 🙄) I just really like the idea of getting placements to try different types of work so you can find out if you really don't enjoy something before you've signed up for life (well, life until you can persuade somewhere else to take you! 😂)
Last edited by Marfyy2; 1 month ago
Marisa_Grace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marfyy2)
I will be applying again this year for the fourth year in a row however it's not as important to me as it was the last few times!
First time I got to FSAC but didn't actually attend because my anxiety got the better of me and I withdrew (basically thinking there was no way I'd measure up and I was only going to make a fool of myself) - very silly of me but we live and learn!
Next time I attended FSAC but failed there by 0.02 points (😂😭)...
Last time I really f***ed up my video interview and didn't pass that! I knew the day I recorded it that I'd blown it! I don't really know what happened to me but I was umm'ing and ah'ing like no one's business, freezing and blanking on word - didn't fill the time on any of the questions! 🤦
2020 - 4th time lucky! 🤞

That said, I'm in a much better job than I was in my previous years with better chance of progression without needing the fast stream. It still really appeals to me though because above all I like the placements aspect. Having had one terrible experience in a brand new role, where people asked stupid questions like, "Well, if you hate it so much, why did you apply?" (My answer being well obviously, if I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it I wouldn't have! 🙄) I just really like the idea of getting placements to try different types of work so you can find out if you really don't enjoy something before you've signed up for life (well, life until you can persuade somewhere else to take you! 😂)
Good luck! Which schemes are you hoping to apply for? And it's great you've already got a job that gives you good prospects, so there is not so much pressure there (granted though, it might not be what you want to do long-term).

I'm in a similar boat - I've already got a decent job (though progression is hard), and want to apply as it seems like such an unparalleled opportunity! I've applied about twice in the past (when they were still doing the numerical tests) and never got through the online tests! But hoping with a bit more preparation, as well as 3 yrs of work experience, that I'm now better placed to apply.
Charlie Bristol
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's my second time. Most of you are more experienced than me, I think.

Last year I failed the the Work based scenario (learning assessment phase). Anybody passed this stage last year? any advice on how to practise this please?

If anybody is interested, maybe we can set up a study group on FB where we can share experience or practice together.
jg2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Charlie Bristol)
It's my second time. Most of you are more experienced than me, I think.

Last year I failed the the Work based scenario (learning assessment phase). Anybody passed this stage last year? any advice on how to practise this please?

If anybody is interested, maybe we can set up a study group on FB where we can share experience or practice together.
I got through to ac last year.

There is no way to practice. The wbs change every year as far as I’m aware.

What I would say is understand the Civil Service success profile.

Also take a step back when reviewing the question and think about what the short and long term issues are. Think about what they are really looking for you to do (help develop someone, complete a task quickly etc).

Adding to this as well, I honestly don’t believe you can ‘practice’ for the AC either. Maybe practice your typing to improve speed but that’s it really.
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m debating if to apply. I applied last year and failed at the stage before the video interview. I’m a current civil servant so not sure if it’s really worth applying
Marisa_Grace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S1elyak1)
I’m debating if to apply. I applied last year and failed at the stage before the video interview. I’m a current civil servant so not sure if it’s really worth applying
I'd say it depends on how happy you are in your current job, what progression/promotion is available, and how that fits in with your circumstances and aspirations.

If you really like the look of the schemes, go for it! You've got nothing to lose. You're also likely to have more experience of Civil Service behaviours now too, already working in the Civil Service.
lkate93
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am going to apply this year but with the expectation that I won't be successful - I think it's a great scheme to run and will probably apply for the next few years too whilst looking to progress through CS roles. I think the lack of ability to prepare is a good feature, for roles within CS anyway there's the constant updating of competencies and development so hopefully applications to FS won't be too time consuming or off-putting for the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.56%
I'm not sure (8)
2.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (107)
34.74%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.3%
I'm not a current university student (138)
44.81%

Watched Threads