The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2020/21

Couldn't find a thread for the upcoming application cycle anywhere, so thought I would start it. Anyone else on TSR applying? For which scheme?

I'm planning to apply for Gov Social Research as my top choice, would be great to get to know others in the same boat!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

I'm applying for the GSR as my top choice too - still undecided on what to put for my other preferences!

Do you know when the application window is this year?
Reply 2
Original post by llamab
Couldn't find a thread for the upcoming application cycle anywhere, so thought I would start it. Anyone else on TSR applying? For which scheme?

I'm planning to apply for Gov Social Research as my top choice, would be great to get to know others in the same boat!

Hello I’m applying too! I think I’ll put the general Stream as my first choice.

Have you applied in the past? I did last year but never got through. Felt the prep I had done on ‘assessment day’ didn’t prepare me well last year so was intrigued to find out what you are using for prep? Thank you :smile:
Original post by lkate93
Hey,

I'm applying for the GSR as my top choice too - still undecided on what to put for my other preferences!

Do you know when the application window is this year?

I think I'll be going for Generalist, Digital & Data, and...not sure what to put down for last option hah. I have no idea when applications will open, sadly!
Original post by Kmo7
Hello I’m applying too! I think I’ll put the general Stream as my first choice.

Have you applied in the past? I did last year but never got through. Felt the prep I had done on ‘assessment day’ didn’t prepare me well last year so was intrigued to find out what you are using for prep? Thank you :smile:

Hello! So I applied to EDIP way back in 2015 and didn't get through, applied for SDIP and got put on reserve list and then rejected..and last year applied completely at the last minute for FS grad scheme and I didn't even pass the tests :colondollar: Did you use any online test packs? Because as I understand it, CS don't test on the usual numerical and verbal - its SJT and 'Work style behaviour'.
Hello Vexper! Have seen you on the older forums, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with relocating! I wasn't aware you were already a CS, but happy you're still in a good position with work :smile:

I'm not a PPE grad myself, but have done Sociology with quant methods hence interested in Social Research/even direct appointments at ONS tbh. I have a couple of relevant work experiences, but I also hope my upcoming Masters course will be useful in developing the kind of research skills they're looking for.

I know you've had to answer a billion of these already BUT if as a parting gift you had any tips for us this year? Would be great to hear your insights on the prep. TIA anyway :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by llamab
Hello! So I applied to EDIP way back in 2015 and didn't get through, applied for SDIP and got put on reserve list and then rejected..and last year applied completely at the last minute for FS grad scheme and I didn't even pass the tests :colondollar: Did you use any online test packs? Because as I understand it, CS don't test on the usual numerical and verbal - its SJT and 'Work style behaviour'.

So relate to this - failed so many psychometric tests myself! These graduate schemes make you feel stupid sometimes 😅. They’re painful!

Yeah so I have been using the ‘assessment day’ test pack! Last year I applied for the science stream as my first choice so I think that’s why I had a numerical assessment? The format of it was very different to what I was used to! I’ve got a different pack from job test prep this year so hoping that helps. Do you have any tips?

Also, congrats on getting to the reserve list. That’s an achievement on itself :smile:
Reply 7
Sorry to hear about your troubles with the grad scheme. Seems like such a shame to have gotten so far but ultimately having to reject it.

Thank you taking the time to share your experience on this forum!
I’ll be applying again this year.

I got through to FSAC last year but was unsuccessful; although I’m still hoping a job may come of it through DAS (would be nice).

I think now that I’ve experience it I could pass it this year.

It’s not something you can practice for in any way (i wish I knew that) it’s more a feeling of confidence, handling yourself well and little things let you shine in the group task.

I felt that I waffled during the role play but I remained resolute, confident and answered the questions. They noted I was confident and adaptable during the questions, therefore I’d say just the appearance of confidence will help you a lot. And think ‘big’ with your ideas. For some reason I just couldn’t adjust between role playing and then her asking real questions. I ended up thinking of great answers on the train home....

Communication from them is utterly woeful though. The number is a dead line. I only got confirmation of my train ticket and hotel 1 hour before having to leave, which was mega stressful as I had to travel from outside Glasgow.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not surprising. They got a lot of angry nonsense and spammed a few months back.

The usual anti-intellectual brigade on Twitter who think further education is a con and that the civil service is a closed off ‘liberal’ elitists organisation. Lots of moans about the FS process and the testing (which is bog standard for every job nowadays).
(edited 3 years ago)
I will be applying again this year for the fourth year in a row however it's not as important to me as it was the last few times!
First time I got to FSAC but didn't actually attend because my anxiety got the better of me and I withdrew (basically thinking there was no way I'd measure up and I was only going to make a fool of myself) - very silly of me but we live and learn!
Next time I attended FSAC but failed there by 0.02 points (😂😭)...
Last time I really f***ed up my video interview and didn't pass that! I knew the day I recorded it that I'd blown it! I don't really know what happened to me but I was umm'ing and ah'ing like no one's business, freezing and blanking on word - didn't fill the time on any of the questions! 🤦
2020 - 4th time lucky! 🤞

That said, I'm in a much better job than I was in my previous years with better chance of progression without needing the fast stream. It still really appeals to me though because above all I like the placements aspect. Having had one terrible experience in a brand new role, where people asked stupid questions like, "Well, if you hate it so much, why did you apply?" (My answer being well obviously, if I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it I wouldn't have! 🙄) I just really like the idea of getting placements to try different types of work so you can find out if you really don't enjoy something before you've signed up for life (well, life until you can persuade somewhere else to take you! 😂)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Marfyy2
I will be applying again this year for the fourth year in a row however it's not as important to me as it was the last few times!
First time I got to FSAC but didn't actually attend because my anxiety got the better of me and I withdrew (basically thinking there was no way I'd measure up and I was only going to make a fool of myself) - very silly of me but we live and learn!
Next time I attended FSAC but failed there by 0.02 points (😂😭)...
Last time I really f***ed up my video interview and didn't pass that! I knew the day I recorded it that I'd blown it! I don't really know what happened to me but I was umm'ing and ah'ing like no one's business, freezing and blanking on word - didn't fill the time on any of the questions! 🤦
2020 - 4th time lucky! 🤞

That said, I'm in a much better job than I was in my previous years with better chance of progression without needing the fast stream. It still really appeals to me though because above all I like the placements aspect. Having had one terrible experience in a brand new role, where people asked stupid questions like, "Well, if you hate it so much, why did you apply?" (My answer being well obviously, if I knew I wasn't going to enjoy it I wouldn't have! 🙄) I just really like the idea of getting placements to try different types of work so you can find out if you really don't enjoy something before you've signed up for life (well, life until you can persuade somewhere else to take you! 😂)

Good luck! Which schemes are you hoping to apply for? And it's great you've already got a job that gives you good prospects, so there is not so much pressure there (granted though, it might not be what you want to do long-term).

I'm in a similar boat - I've already got a decent job (though progression is hard), and want to apply as it seems like such an unparalleled opportunity! I've applied about twice in the past (when they were still doing the numerical tests) and never got through the online tests! But hoping with a bit more preparation, as well as 3 yrs of work experience, that I'm now better placed to apply.
It's my second time. Most of you are more experienced than me, I think.:smile:

Last year I failed the the Work based scenario (learning assessment phase). Anybody passed this stage last year? any advice on how to practise this please?

If anybody is interested, maybe we can set up a study group on FB where we can share experience or practice together.
Original post by Charlie Bristol

Last year I failed the the Work based scenario (learning assessment phase). Anybody passed this stage last year? any advice on how to practise this please?

If anybody is interested, maybe we can set up a study group on FB where we can share experience or practice together.

I got through to ac last year.

There is no way to practice. The wbs change every year as far as I’m aware.

What I would say is understand the Civil Service success profile.

Also take a step back when reviewing the question and think about what the short and long term issues are. Think about what they are really looking for you to do (help develop someone, complete a task quickly etc).

Adding to this as well, I honestly don’t believe you can ‘practice’ for the AC either. Maybe practice your typing to improve speed but that’s it really.
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m debating if to apply. I applied last year and failed at the stage before the video interview. I’m a current civil servant so not sure if it’s really worth applying
Original post by S1elyak1
I’m debating if to apply. I applied last year and failed at the stage before the video interview. I’m a current civil servant so not sure if it’s really worth applying

I'd say it depends on how happy you are in your current job, what progression/promotion is available, and how that fits in with your circumstances and aspirations.

If you really like the look of the schemes, go for it! You've got nothing to lose. You're also likely to have more experience of Civil Service behaviours now too, already working in the Civil Service. :smile:
Reply 16
I am going to apply this year but with the expectation that I won't be successful - I think it's a great scheme to run and will probably apply for the next few years too whilst looking to progress through CS roles. I think the lack of ability to prepare is a good feature, for roles within CS anyway there's the constant updating of competencies and development so hopefully applications to FS won't be too time consuming or off-putting for the future.
Reply 17
Original post by S1elyak1

I think it's definitely worth a shot! What've you got to lose? :smile:
Original post by lkate93
I am going to apply this year but with the expectation that I won't be successful - I think it's a great scheme to run and will probably apply for the next few years too whilst looking to progress through CS roles. I think the lack of ability to prepare is a good feature, for roles within CS anyway there's the constant updating of competencies and development so hopefully applications to FS won't be too time consuming or off-putting for the future.

The fact you can’t ‘prepare’ as such is very liberating - at least for the ac anyway.

You just have to keep the competencies in mind and be confident when doing your tasks.

Typing is a big thing though so it may disadvantage those who aren’t as fast in one of the tasks.
Original post by Charlie Bristol

I think the fb group is a really good idea! This will be my first time applying so I would appreciate any help that I could get 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending