The Student Room Group

My back teeth don’t fit together

Hi everyone! I’m making an appointment with my orthodontist soon about this so please don’t tell me to do that lol. I was just wondering if the fact that my back teeth don’t fit together is normal? Because I don’t want to go to the dentist and have them say that i went for nothing. I’ll be sooo embarrassed haha. So when I bite, I can’t put my back teeth together. I can only put my front teeth together. I have had braces before and I can bite down on my back teeth with my retainers but not without. Is this normal or should I definitely make the appointment? I’m 17 if that’s important :smile:
Original post by Chopinnocturne31

Thanks for the tag :biggrin:

To the OP: it’s not “normal”, ideally all teeth should contact the opposing tooth. But there’s no need to advise you here since you’ve already booked an appointment which is good
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone! I’m making an appointment with my orthodontist soon about this so please don’t tell me to do that lol. I was just wondering if the fact that my back teeth don’t fit together is normal? Because I don’t want to go to the dentist and have them say that i went for nothing. I’ll be sooo embarrassed haha. So when I bite, I can’t put my back teeth together. I can only put my front teeth together. I have had braces before and I can bite down on my back teeth with my retainers but not without. Is this normal or should I definitely make the appointment? I’m 17 if that’s important :smile:

No it’s not normal exactly. Braces would be best but if your like me and don’t qualify for NHS treatment it gets very expensive hopefully this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Mesopotamian.

To the OP: it’s not “normal”, ideally all teeth should contact the opposing tooth. But there’s no need to advise you here since you’ve already booked an appointment which is good

Thank you :smile: I was just wondering if you knew if I would have to pay for the treatment because I’ve already had braces and finished the treatment for that about a year ago.
Reply 5
No it’s not normal exactly. Braces would be best but if your like me and don’t qualify for NHS treatment it gets very expensive hopefully this helps.

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind if I ask why you don’t qualify for NHS treatment? :smile:

You’re welcome! :biggrin:
Thank you :smile: I was just wondering if you knew if I would have to pay for the treatment because I’ve already had braces and finished the treatment for that about a year ago.

You probably will have to pay for treatment if you’re over 18 and don’t qualify for NHS help. However, depending on what exactly the problem is (which no one can tell you over the internet without a physical dental examination and whatnot), the treatment might not be absurdly expensive and it may not necessarily require further orthodontic treatment. Obviously though you need to go to your dentist so they can determine the exact problem and treatment, which you’ve done :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for your reply. Do you mind if I ask why you don’t qualify for NHS treatment? :smile:

My problem isn’t severe enough. I’m 13 and there’s a criteria which I don’t meet so the only option is to get private treatment. Hope this helps. Xx
Reply 9
You probably will have to pay for treatment if you’re over 18 and don’t qualify for NHS help. However, depending on what exactly the problem is (which no one can tell you over the internet without a physical dental examination and whatnot), the treatment might not be absurdly expensive and it may not necessarily require further orthodontic treatment. Obviously though you need to go to your dentist so they can determine the exact problem and treatment, which you’ve done :smile:

What if I’m 17? Is there still a possibility I might have to pay?
Original post by Buddingdentist08
My problem isn’t severe enough. I’m 13 and there’s a criteria which I don’t meet so the only option is to get private treatment. Hope this helps. Xx

Oh, I was hoping it would be free because I’m under 18 :frown: thanks so much. Hopefully I will qualify but we will see xx
Oh, I was hoping it would be free because I’m under 18 :frown: thanks so much. Hopefully I will qualify but we will see xx

I thought it was free for under 18s too. Turns out I was wrong. They do need to be quite severe. Good luck. Xx
What if I’m 17? Is there still a possibility I might have to pay?

It depends on what the treatment is. As a 17 year old, If you’re still in education and your treatment falls within NHS criterion, it’ll be free.
Original post by Buddingdentist08
I thought it was free for under 18s too. Turns out I was wrong. They do need to be quite severe. Good luck. Xx

It depends on what the treatment is. As a 17 year old, If you’re still in education and your treatment falls within NHS criterion, it’ll be free.

Okay thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest