The Student Room Group

Any ACTUAL TECHNIQUES for gcse revision

Rather than tips, because whenever I search revision techniques it comes up with 'start early' and 'take breaks'. If anyone has any actual methods to share then I'd be very thankful 😊
Any subjects in particular? Every subject can be revised in a different way for maximum efficiency.

What helped me the most was using a revision schedule. However I would keep it general like a to do list. So I would have a list of things to get done by the end of the day/week but wasn’t pressuring myself too much to do it at a particular time slot.

Also give specifications and examiner reports a good read especially for essay subjects. These can be really helpful.

Last thing, make notes first, then do the questions on it. There’s no point doing the questions before if you don’t know the content well enough.
Reply 2
Original post by LegsEleven17
Any subjects in particular? Every subject can be revised in a different way for maximum efficiency.

What helped me the most was using a revision schedule. However I would keep it general like a to do list. So I would have a list of things to get done by the end of the day/week but wasn’t pressuring myself too much to do it at a particular time slot.

Also give specifications and examiner reports a good read especially for essay subjects. These can be really helpful.

Last thing, make notes first, then do the questions on it. There’s no point doing the questions before if you don’t know the content well enough.

Thankyou!!
I'm taking both English, maths, double science, French, history, geography, stats, and further maths.
I think specific ones for each is a good idea, I'm just not sure which for which.
Reply 3
I got 5A*s and 4Bs (Welsh qualifications) and this is what I did. I after lessons revisited notes, then condenced them such that one lesson would fit on a side of A3 paper. After I was confident I had understood an exam topic I would test my knowledge using PPQs and past papers and continued at this until I was consistently hitting high marks. I think this technique worked best with STEM bc all of my A*s were in STEM and all of my B's in Humanities and languages.
NEVER EVER MAKE NOTES
USE ANKI
active recall and spaced repetition are the only ways to study efficiently
making notes is very passive and will not do anything
instead download anki, make flashcards and do them
also do past papers
I disagree with this previous one, especially for English, history and geography it's important to do more than just flashcards. You need to be able to extend your points. But "notes" can come in any way, shape or form. I did a lot of mind mapping for the anthology in English Lit. I drew diagrams with information all around for geography case studies. I can't speak for history but for sciences it really is just recall and maths skills so practice here is key.
Reply 6
Original post by RelationsGuru
NEVER EVER MAKE NOTES
USE ANKI
active recall and spaced repetition are the only ways to study efficiently
making notes is very passive and will not do anything
instead download anki, make flashcards and do them
also do past papers

depends on how you remember things. I have a good photographic memory so most of the time I just need to write something down. You can hardly say my method doesn't with with those GCSE results and that I've just been awarded an A in a level maths in year 12 (I finished the course in eight months)

Quick Reply

Latest