The Student Room Group

Banksy buys a "rescue boat" to save migrants in the med

An amusingly bland publicity stunt, if nothing else.
Naming the boat after a terrorist ally and putting such emphasis on the crew being 'vegans' :lol:

Banksy has funded a rescue boat to save refugees encountering danger in the Mediterranean Sea.
The boat, named the Louise Michel, was bought with proceeds from some of the Bristol street artist's works.
It has already carried out a number of rescue missions, taking on board 89 people from a rubber boat on Tuesday, according to its Twitter account.
The vessel features a painting depicting a young girl holding on to a heart-shaped safety float

Banksy repainted the former French Navy boat in distinctive white and pink and launched it under its new guise last week.
The Louise Michel is named after a 19th Century French anarchist and is captained by a professional crew with a "flat hierarchy and a vegan diet".
The vessel's mission statement is "to uphold maritime law and rescue anyone in peril without prejudice".
"We on board the Louise Michel believe we are all individuals, nationality should not make a difference to what rights one has and how we treat each other," it says on its website.
"We answer the SOS call of all those in distress, not just to save their souls - but our own."

According to UN data, 443 people have died or gone missing attempting to cross the Mediterranean from north Africa so far in 2020.
Just over 40,000 have arrived in Europe by sea during the same period.
Banksy's representatives have been contacted for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-53949831

Scroll to see replies

How do you have a captain in a flat hierarchy?
Reply 2
Original post by Underscore__
How do you have a captain in a flat hierarchy?

It could certainly prove amusing when someone needs to decided which way to steer the boat, or which migrant taxi to rescue :lol:. It all sounds like a frightfully middle class sjw endeavour that will be doomed to failure from the outset. Not least because an artist is not exactly a font of knowledge on sea rescue outside of cutting a cheque.
Original post by Napp
It could certainly prove amusing when someone needs to decided which way to steer the boat, or which migrant taxi to rescue :lol:. It all sounds like a frightfully middle class sjw endeavour that will be doomed to failure from the outset. Not least because an artist is not exactly a font of knowledge on sea rescue outside of cutting a cheque.

It does sound awfully like something that middle class kids will start doing with their gap year instead of finding themselves in Asia or South America
Reply 4
The vessel's mission statement is "to uphold maritime law and rescue anyone in peril without prejudice".

Michel is rolling in her grave.
Reply 5
Original post by Ascend
Michel is rolling in her grave.

prsom :rofl:
Original post by Napp
An amusingly bland publicity stunt, if nothing else.
Naming the boat after a terrorist ally and putting such emphasis on the crew being 'vegans' :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-53949831

Better than no boat possibly saving 89 people.
Original post by Underscore__
It does sound awfully like something that middle class kids will start doing with their gap year instead of finding themselves in Asia or South America

"I found myself in the English Channel :redface:"
I wonder will it be actually rescuing them, or picking them up at the African coast and providing free transport to Europe like lots of actions alike did.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Better than no boat possibly saving 89 people.

True this is the wrong end of the problem to be solving, these are the consequences of terrorism and foreign military intervention and economic migrants using people smugglers
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
True this is the wrong end of the problem to be solving, these are the consequences of terrorism and foreign military intervention and economic migrants using people smugglers

The milk has been spilled already. The only way now to stop this is to send back absolutely anyone who has not come from a real war region, and make sure such person loses money on the whole journey. If you make the effort up to them I've heard of a scheme of sending people back with money so could come back with honor to their neigbourhood- absolutely wrong! They indeed should lose their honor, so noone else from there would try the same idea!

I'm not exactly sympathetic with real war refugees either. I know sometimes there is such a great confusion and such a huge mix of fighting parties you can't really do anything, but it's not the case for all these wars. Not even in Syria. It was only possible to push back ISIS, because some people stayed there and fought back. In case of Kurds, even women and elderly people. Guess you all heard of Kurdish female soldiers. Fewer people heard of the Immortal Uncle from Kobane, a 70 years old who's all sons were killed and he still fought back with machinegun in his hands, or an elderly Albanian, Rifat Horoz, who went to Syria to fight against ISIS and gave his life repelling their attack on Kobane.
Reply 11
Original post by PTMalewski
The milk has been spilled already. The only way now to stop this is to send back absolutely anyone who has not come from a real war region, and make sure such person loses money on the whole journey. If you make the effort up to them I've heard of a scheme of sending people back with money so could come back with honor to their neigbourhood- absolutely wrong! They indeed should lose their honor, so noone else from there would try the same idea!

I'm not exactly sympathetic with real war refugees either. I know sometimes there is such a great confusion and such a huge mix of fighting parties you can't really do anything, but it's not the case for all these wars. Not even in Syria. It was only possible to push back ISIS, because some people stayed there and fought back. In case of Kurds, even women and elderly people. Guess you all heard of Kurdish female soldiers. Fewer people heard of the Immortal Uncle from Kobane, a 70 years old who's all sons were killed and he still fought back with machinegun in his hands, or an elderly Albanian, Rifat Horoz, who went to Syria to fight against ISIS and gave his life repelling their attack on Kobane.

I dont disagree with you but the highlighted could be problematic as much of the ME, Asia and Africa these people come from is indeed in a state of conflict, if not open war then most have some form of ongoing insurgency.
Personally i'd want to see a bit more clarity added, i.e. those coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Palestine, Libya and those in that vein be allowed in (after all we have a moral duty on those ones now) and the ones seeking economic gain from Africa, SE Asia and so on be put on the next plane back.
That all being said its damn tricky deporting people back as many don't come with documents and, not to put too fine a point on it, it tends to be tricky to guess where someone comes from based solely on looks.
I am fully in support of controlled immigration. I am not in support of some virtue signalling ‘celeb’ taking it upon himself to help out. What does he suppose will happen when they get to this country? That’s what annoys me the most about this. All these left wing idiotic celebrities are all well and good preaching about letting immigration happen, however then wash their hands of it once people get here. I suppose Banksy was going to put them all up, was he?
Reply 13
Original post by imlikeahermit
I am fully in support of controlled immigration. I am not in support of some virtue signalling ‘celeb’ taking it upon himself to help out. What does he suppose will happen when they get to this country? That’s what annoys me the most about this. All these left wing idiotic celebrities are all well and good preaching about letting immigration happen, however then wash their hands of it once people get here. I suppose Banksy was going to put them all up, was he?

PRSOM, couldnt agree more on this. I firmly believe in letting migrants in to the cpuntry if they come through the proper channels (although these do need a serious overhaul imo) letting any old sod who floats over in though is quite a different matter.

Although, that being said, this being an inherently complex situation there are areas where my opinion differs. After all, whilst a refugee fleeing, say, Iraq is nominally legally obliged to settle in the first port of call that is safe i don't particularly object to them trying to make their way to Britain. I do object to people coming from somewhere like Chad who are simply coming to make a quick buck. Even more so i object to the people who try and make the preposterous argument that it is somehow their right to come to Britain for financial gain and have the temerity to accuse anyone who disagrees as a 'fascist' or 'racist'.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53959554
Update on the Louise Michel's 'adventures.' 4 dead.
Reply 15
Original post by howisladypole
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53959554
Update on the Louise Michel's 'adventures.' 4 dead.

Not exactly covering themselves in glory. He should have stuck to graffiting tube trains and left this to those who know what theyre doing.
I can't believe that the people behind this don't know exactly what they are doing.

They know this will cause more people to attempt to cross.. they might not say it on TV, but they know it - and that's fine. The people at the top of this ideological chain are hardcore no-border types. I've a few friends who are in this camp, lovely people, but they fully support the idea of a border-less world. I must admit, the it is an interesting arguement, and on a hypothetical level it raises a lot of good questions...

But they won't admit it, because they know that the vast majority of the public still isn't ready to even have the conversation yet, let alone accept the ramifications that the open-border types know it leads to (and support). So instead its all shrouded in the rhetoric about saving innocent people, rather than admiting what it actually is - doing anything possible to break down the borders between nations to achieve the end goal of a borderless world.

They need to tell people the truth though, that while there is a really good and logical case that removing borders will make the world more equal and fair, it will do so by lowering the living standards in the developed world, to raise them in the developing/3rd world. The west comes down a step, everywhere else comes up a step, and equality is achieved. They know what will happen when they tell people this though.. so they don't.
Reply 17
Original post by fallen_acorns
I can't believe that the people behind this don't know exactly what they are doing.

Really? :wink:

They need to tell people the truth though, that while there is a really good and logical case that removing borders will make the world more equal and fair, it will do so by lowering the living standards in the developed world, to raise them in the developing/3rd world. The west comes down a step, everywhere else comes up a step, and equality is achieved. They know what will happen when they tell people this though.. so they don't.

In fairness to this i dont think most people really care about equality and fairness in this regard. Nobody wants hordes of foreigners marching into the country to, in this case, literally take peoples jobs, destroy the social welfare system and public utilities and bring all sorts of problems with them.
Borders might well be a modern invention but the world has changed beyond recognition since then, not least due to the population explosion. The people in the west don't want to lose their standard of living (a completely reasonable position to take) but there are more realistic ways that wont end up with pogroms than welcoming the worlds masses through the front door.
I would be interested to hear how these sorts try to justify their view point, outside of some weird moralising though.
Original post by Napp
Really? :wink:

In fairness to this i dont think most people really care about equality and fairness in this regard. Nobody wants hordes of foreigners marching into the country to, in this case, literally take peoples jobs, destroy the social welfare system and public utilities and bring all sorts of problems with them.
Borders might well be a modern invention but the world has changed beyond recognition since then, not least due to the population explosion. The people in the west don't want to lose their standard of living (a completely reasonable position to take) but there are more realistic ways that wont end up with pogroms than welcoming the worlds masses through the front door.
I would be interested to hear how these sorts try to justify their view point, outside of some weird moralising though.

The rough position that I've had explained to me is that without borders human migration will act as a great equalizer. E.g. those from poorer countries will be free to migrate to wealthier areas lowering the living standard and putting more strain on the finances of the wealthier nation. Eventually the wealthiest in those countries will move to a less densely populated place with fewer problems, likely a previously developing country, and with them they will bring improvements. Over a century or so everything would end up averaging out as people migrate to follow wealth, and wealth migrates to find better quality of life etc.

My counter to them is that this theory doesn't work internally inside countries, so why would it work internationally? If mobility to follow wealth was true, then we should see it already inside countries themselves, but we don't. Poor areas stay poor, rich areas stay rich, even though technically the poor have the ability to move near or into the richer area. The rich just simply find new ways to secure their areas, and if its not by force, they do it by property, land ownership, etc. My personal expectations of a no-border world would be that yes between nations things might equalise a bit, but between the rich and the poor they wouldn't - you would just get more and more gated communities and closed off areas.
Original post by Napp
I dont disagree with you but the highlighted could be problematic as much of the ME, Asia and Africa these people come from is indeed in a state of conflict, if not open war then most have some form of ongoing insurgency.

Help those in the greatest danger, as there actually is a very limited amount of things and resources we can do to help them.

Original post by Napp

Personally i'd want to see a bit more clarity added, i.e. those coming from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Palestine, Libya and those in that vein be allowed in (after all we have a moral duty on those ones now) and the ones seeking economic gain from Africa, SE Asia and so on be put on the next plane back.

Okay, but this should be done specifically by countries who invaded those countries or created the mess they're in. The attempt to make all countries of the EU share responsibility, is what reinforced power of the alt-right in Hungary, and helped the right wing catholic-social mafia take over Poland.

Original post by Napp

That all being said its damn tricky deporting people back as many don't come with documents and, not to put too fine a point on it, it tends to be tricky to guess where someone comes from based solely on looks.

Just treat them like adults. Tell them they're absolutely coming back no matter what, and they better tell where do they actually come from. If they end up in the wrong country, it's their fault.

Generally speaking- if they want to immigrate, that's okay, but they should do this legally and show that they can contribute to the society. It is not the case with those migrants.
Original post by fallen_acorns

They know this will cause more people to attempt to cross.. they might not say it on TV, but they know it - and that's fine. The people at the top of this ideological chain are hardcore no-border types. I've a few friends who are in this camp, lovely people, but they fully support the idea of a border-less world. I must admit, the it is an interesting arguement, and on a hypothetical level it raises a lot of good questions...

This is exactly why fascism and nazism is rising its head in Europe. It's not rocket science that all these rescue actions only boost this mass migration further, so people start to believe that is a deliberate action taken by cultural marxists to destroy the European culture.

Personally I'm reluctant to believe this, but the policies and actions taken so far mainly increased the problem, and many European leaders are indeed former members of communist parties, or communist, even maoist organizations so this fits very well to this idea.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending