The Student Room Group

Speeding past police in opposite direction

I was very obviously speeding to make some distance between me and the car tailgating me on a dual carriageway.

Police car heading in the opposite direction past me, I did slam the brakes pretty hard. They couldn't turn around and by the time they could have, I would be far away from them.

Just wondering if someone has experienced this and received a NIP in the mail?

I know it was stupid of me speeding and I definitely wouldn't be doing it again.
Did you pass your theory test? You should know the correct thing to do when being tailgated is slow down.
Reply 2
Original post by Theloniouss
Did you pass your theory test? You should know the correct thing to do when being tailgated is slow down.

Or just do the speed limit, like everyone else. I wouldn't slow down, as this would more than likely prevoke them. Just do the speed limit and make them wait :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Techlow
I was very obviously speeding to make some distance between me and the car tailgating me on a dual carriageway.

Police car heading in the opposite direction past me, I did slam the brakes pretty hard. They couldn't turn around and by the time they could have, I would be far away from them.

I know it was stupid of me speeding and I definitely wouldn't be doing it again.

It is very unlikely that you will receive a NIP, as they won't have any measurement of what speed you were actually doing. Just drive the speed limit next time and make the tailgater wait :smile:
Original post by Joshkav
Or just do the speed limit, like everyone else. I wouldn't slow down, as this would more than likely prevoke them. Just do the speed limit and make them wait :smile:

Or maybe take the government's advice? In fairness, I suppose it doesn't matter that much either way - but on the theory test you have to know the correct thing to do is slow down.
Original post by Joshkav

There are a couple of benefits to slowing down. One is that you encourage the tailgater to overtake, removing the immediate issue of someone tailgating you. Additionally in the event of an accident you have increased your thinking time and reduced the speed involved, both quite important when the person behind you will not have adequate time to react.

Speeding up is obviously the wrong thing to do, however slowing down is often better than maintaining the speed limit. Keeping to the speed limit would be great if everybody kept to it and everybody stayed a safe distance. However this doesn't happen in the real world. If someone is tailgating you, as the driver you now need to factor in the stopping distance for both yourself and the car behind. This typically means leaving a bigger gap in front, and the easiest way to achieve that is by slowing down.
Reply 6
Original post by Theloniouss
Or maybe take the government's advice? In fairness, I suppose it doesn't matter that much either way - but on the theory test you have to know the correct thing to do is slow down.

Original post by AcseI
There are a couple of benefits to slowing down. One is that you encourage the tailgater to overtake, removing the immediate issue of someone tailgating you. Additionally in the event of an accident you have increased your thinking time and reduced the speed involved, both quite important when the person behind you will not have adequate time to react.

Speeding up is obviously the wrong thing to do, however slowing down is often better than maintaining the speed limit. Keeping to the speed limit would be great if everybody kept to it and everybody stayed a safe distance. However this doesn't happen in the real world. If someone is tailgating you, as the driver you now need to factor in the stopping distance for both yourself and the car behind. This typically means leaving a bigger gap in front, and the easiest way to achieve that is by slowing down.

Sorry, I was taking the view that the OP was already in the overtaking lane, which is the reason why they decided to speed, as they needed to get in front of the car they were overtaking, to be able to move back over, but now reading over this again, I can see this is not the case (my fault for reading too fast :biggrin:). So yeah, I agree with you and is what I do with tailgaters actually, I slow down, forcing them to overtake. I was thinking the OP was in the overtaking lane, which if they drove slower for the tailgater, would cause the tailgater to undertake and probably cause some confrontation. Apologies again for the misread :smile:
Reply 7
This is the stupidest thing "I was breaking the law because someone was driving close to me"... Highway code so clearly states to slow down to allow you to brake slower if you need to, therefore avoiding a rear end collision. If you speed up it just means the car behind will be going faster when it hits you.
Original post by Techlow

Police car heading in the opposite direction past me, I did slam the brakes pretty hard.

I assume that the person tailgating had been left behind when you hit the brakes?

Original post by Techlow

I haven't, but you'd be extremely unlucky to get one.

Original post by Techlow

Some roads are safer than others for exceeding the, sometime rather arbitrary, speed limit. Whatever the limit, you have to drive safely.

How many lanes where there, and which one were you in?
How much did you speed-up?

The default lane is the left hand one, with all others to be used for overtaking. Regardless, they should not have been tailgating.
(edited 3 years ago)
Doubt it. It’s when they’re behind you and have proof of you speeding there is an issue!
Reply 10
I'm well aware of what you are supposed to do but unfortunately what you are suppose to doesn't always work. This got off topic rather quickly. The car behind me had ample opportunities to overtake. At the start of the dual carriageway, I didn't speed up at all to give them the chance to overtake me on the right side which they didn't, they just accelerated to as close to me as possible (Couldn't even see the bonnet in my rearview mirror). That's when I decided to accelerate a lot more than I should have to make a decent size gap between me and the other car. Even for a good few miles before the dual carriageway, they could have overtaken but they continued to be right behind me.

Original post by RogerOxon
I assume that the person tailgating had been left behind when you hit the breakes?

How many lanes where there, and which one were you in?
How much did you speed-up?

1. He was nowhere near me at that point, I made a pretty big gap and was aware no one was behind me when I hit the brakes.

2. Two Lanes. I was in the left hand lane for the length of the carriageway, the car in question continued to stay in the left hand lane right behind me until I accelerated.

3. Not really sure, I started at 30 to let them pass me, they never did. I accelerated to beyond 50 which is the speed limit.

(Why its a 50 is kinda dumb, straight dual carriageway, no turns on or off, no harsh corners, no bus stops. But still doesn't excuse the speed although it is definitely safe road for higher speeds)

I get it's no excuse for me to be speeding, but it's already happened!
Original post by Techlow
I'm well aware of what you are supposed to do but unfortunately what you are suppose to doesn't always work.

Yes, it does. The aim isn't to get him to overtake you (although that's a positive), it's to give you more braking time if you have to suddenly brake.
Yeah you're kinda making yourself sound like the bad guy here?

No one likes being tailgated, but if you were doing 30 in a 50 that's basically direct provocation, and by the time you meet the police car, you've already sped well away from them? Personally I either ignore them or pull in and let them by, they want to be reckless they can do it away from me. Picking up speed to the limit to avoid delays is one thing, but I don;t let other cars push me to illegal speeding (With the exception of emergency services)

Unless the police did a U turn and pelted after you they'll eve it, they v likely DID notice and it;s possible they can warn other vehicles to look out for you.
Very unlikely.

I'd also avoid slamming your brakes on if you're speeding and see a copper.

1. Because that's going to cause an accident, especially if you've got someone tailgating you.
And 2. If a copper sees you slam your brakes on when they suddenly appear, it's a dead giveaway that you were speeding.
Reply 15
This is one of the stupidest threads I've seen in cars & motoring in a while, I can't lie.

"I broke the law because the guy behind me wanted me to".

If someone is tailgating you it's bad enough that you SPEED to create a gap (erm...) but then slam your brakes not too long after... while said vehicle is behind you. :rolleyes:

Also, yes the coppers on the other side would have seen.
No they won't report you.
Lol you should've sped up, let him catch up and then brake checked the b*stard, he would've gotten shook and created distance from you voluntarily - trust me I know from doing this often 😂
You brake check someone if they are tailgating your at fault of the the crash as well as them. Just so your aware

Latest

Trending

Trending