The Student Room Group

ENGAA Prep Thread 2020 (for 2021 Admissions)

A little bit early putting this on this year, however the unusual circumstances may mean people start to consider preparation earlier than normal!
---

Welcome to the ENGAA prep thread 2020 (for admission in 2021). This is the place to discuss, post problems, or ask any questions you may have regarding the exam.

What is ENGAA?

ENGAA is a pre-interview written assessment for Engineering required by the University of Cambridge. In 2020, the format presumably will be the same as 2019, with no calculators and two hour long sections. All the questions are multiple choice.

Dates

Registration deadline: 15 October, 2020
Exam: 5 November, 2020

Registration

You can find the details here.

Specification, Past Paper and Assessment Format can be found here.

Other Resources

Tips

Last year's thread may be worth a look to get a general sense of some of the FAQs.

I've recently made some videos about the Cambridge ENGAA to help test-takers. There's two videos which are about my tips and tricks and answering example questions. Between these and the ENGAA tips written resource, this gives you some useful apporaches to the exam.

In general, the ENGAA is a race against time with maths and physics questions in a large volume. You need to be fluent with using the concepts to get through the questions in time. Trying the past papers under timed conditions is the best practice to get you prepared for the exam, but the listed resources are extremely helpful also.

If we have any successful 2020 Cambridge applicants here who sat the ENGAA your advice would be much appreciated!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Haven't fully decided if I am applying for Cambridge yet, but going to follow this thread because I plan to have a look at some past papers, while I make my decision :smile:
hey, there are not as many past papers as some may think. I'd love to hear about the other tests you do under time conditions for preparation:smile: thanks.
Reply 3
What percentage would you need to get in? I've heard 50% be the requirement? And if you're going to get really bad predicted grades (like me) what percentage would you need then, 70%?
Reply 4
Original post by zeerie
What percentage would you need to get in? I've heard 50% be the requirement? And if you're going to get really bad predicted grades (like me) what percentage would you need then, 70%?

There is no pass mark. Indeed, some people with "low" scores receive offers, some with high scores don't.

All aspects of an application are reviewed holistically, so weaknesses in some areas can be offset by strengths elsewhere.
Reply 5
Original post by Doones
There is no pass mark. Indeed, some people with "low" scores receive offers, some with high scores don't.

All aspects of an application are reviewed holistically, so weaknesses in some areas can be offset by strengths elsewhere.

Thanks.

I've also heard a fair amount of people (like 70%) usually get to the interview stage, do you know whether this is true or not?
Reply 6
Original post by zeerie
Thanks.

I've also heard a fair amount of people (like 70%) usually get to the interview stage, do you know whether this is true or not?

edit, Cambridge interviews about 80% of applicants.
(edited 3 years ago)
Unsure when it was released, but the 2019 paper and mark scheme for the ENGAA is now out. I'd highly recommend trying this one under exam conditions seeing as it's the most recent:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engaa_2019.pdf
Reply 8
Original post by Doones
edit, Cambridge interviews about 80% of applicants.

Thanks for the help!

If you have really bad predicted grades (I probably will because I did terrible in year 12 due to health/family issues) could you still get an interview if you did well in ENGAA? I'm only asking because if there's absolutely no chance of getting an interview when your pred. grades are poor (no matter your ENGAA results) then there's probably no point in me applying.
Reply 9
Original post by zeerie
Thanks for the help!

If you have really bad predicted grades (I probably will because I did terrible in year 12 due to health/family issues) could you still get an interview if you did well in ENGAA? I'm only asking because if there's absolutely no chance of getting an interview when your pred. grades are poor (no matter your ENGAA results) then there's probably no point in me applying.

Make sure you provide an Extenuating Circumstances Form when you apply. And ask your referee to mention the circumstances in their reference too.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

And the 100% guaranteed way to not get an interview is by not applying...
Reply 10
Original post by Doones
Make sure you provide an Extenuating Circumstances Form when you apply. And ask your referee to mention the circumstances in their reference too.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

And the 100% guaranteed way to not get an interview is by not applying...

Thank you!

My referee asked me if I had any health/family issues, and I told her yes.

Do I need to fill in the form, or will she do it for me? (I see that the form is addressed to the school and not to students?..)
Reply 11
Original post by zeerie
Thank you!

My referee asked me if I had any health/family issues, and I told her yes.

Do I need to fill in the form, or will she do it for me? (I see that the form is addressed to the school and not to students?..)

Yes it's best completed by your school. Show her the form and discuss your circumstances with her.
Should I still mention getting a bronze in the as physics challenge for application for engineering as there are loads of people getting gold and silver? Would it downgrade my PS in a way? Thanks guys!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by jzhang0818
Should I still mention getting a bronze in the as physics challenge for application for engineering as there are loads of people getting gold and silver? Would it downgrade my PS in a way? Thanks guys!

What did you learn from doing the challenge? That's more important than a medal.
Original post by Doones
What did you learn from doing the challenge? That's more important than a medal.

Thank you so much!
Many of you have adviced practicing from Issac physics . What are the minimum and maximum level questions that I should attempt?
Reply 16
Are there any books for the new ENGAA spec?? I can’t seem to find any!
Original post by Grim845
Are there any books for the new ENGAA spec?? I can’t seem to find any!

There aren't many books altogether that seem useful. I have bought this tutors book and it seems pretty good (and has one more paper) so maybe consider that if you want more questions / stuff to learn
Isaac physics seems more useful for interview, so I haven't done too much of it. But probs 2-4 if you wanted to

Original post by Learner.m
Many of you have adviced practicing from Issac physics . What are the minimum and maximum level questions that I should attempt?

Original post by NemesisRider
Unsure when it was released, but the 2019 paper and mark scheme for the ENGAA is now out. I'd highly recommend trying this one under exam conditions seeing as it's the most recent:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engaa_2019.pdf

Ive heard the 2019 was especially nasty in terms of timed. It was the first timed I done so I got pretty low (30%) in it, but improved on more recent papers so should be fine
Original post by zeerie
Thanks.

I think its on the website that its true, idk about this year though since everything was based on predicted grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending