The Student Room Group

Immerse Cambridge summer programme

Hello, I was told that the immerse Cambridge summer programme where running an essay competition and you win a scholarship to the two week summer programme if your essay is selected. I have written and essay and I’m all ready to submit my application but they need the details of my current school’s career advisor. My school does have a career advisor however I have never met her and she mainly works with sixth form students ( I am going into sixth form this September but haven’t met her yet) I emailed her to ask if it would be alright if I gave her details but I don’t think she will reply to me in time because the application deadline is 31/8/20. So my question is shall I fill out the application with my career advisor’s details even if she doesn’t reply to my email in time? Would she be alright with it or would it be her problem? I only need to give them her name and email address. It’s unlikely I would get into the the summer course but I wanted to give it a go anyway. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tigergirl
Hello, I was told that the immerse Cambridge summer programme where running an essay competition and you win a scholarship to the two week summer programme if your essay is selected. I have written and essay and I’m all ready to submit my application but they need the details of my current school’s career advisor. My school does have a career advisor however I have never met her and she mainly works with sixth form students ( I am going into sixth form this September but haven’t met her yet) I emailed her to ask if it would be alright if I gave her details but I don’t think she will reply to me in time because the application deadline is 31/8/20. So my question is shall I fill out the application with my career advisor’s details even if she doesn’t reply to my email in time? Would she be alright with it or would it be her problem? I only need to give them her name and email address. It’s unlikely I would get into the the summer course but I wanted to give it a go anyway. Thanks

If they aren't asking for a reference directly, just for a point of contact at the school, it's OK to put her details in.
I have the same question. But, I am aplying from Austria and just need to put a teacher's name because we don't have career advisors. Which subject are you applying for? If we are applying for different subjects we could proofread each others and see how fierce competition is :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by ScienceApply_22
I have the same question. But, I am aplying from Austria and just need to put a teacher's name because we don't have career advisors. Which subject are you applying for? If we are applying for different subjects we could proofread each others and see how fierce competition is :wink:

Cool! I’m doing medicine what about you?
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
If they aren't asking for a reference directly, just for a point of contact at the school, it's OK to put her details in.

I don’t know! Are you sure? I haven’t even met her before and she won’t really know of me and I don’t want her to take it the wrong way if I put in her email address and she starts getting loads of emails from them
Cool! I’m doing medicine what about you?

I'm doing engineering (16-18).
Reply 6

Nice! I'm in the same age category! Good luck to you

im doing chemistry 16-18 (haven't finished it yet...the referencing is super confusing :/)
good luck both of you!!
Original post by vix.xvi
im doing chemistry 16-18 (haven't finished it yet...the referencing is super confusing :/)
good luck both of you!!

Yeah the referencing is confusing indeed. I just copied their example format even though every other website has different ways of Oxford referencing...

Do you two want to exchange entries when submitted? I just want to see other entries and what you have to say. :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah the referencing is confusing indeed. I just copied their example format even though every other website has different ways of Oxford referencing...

Do you two want to exchange entries when submitted? I just want to see other entries and what you have to say. :smile:

Sure but I’m not sure what do yet with my application since I haven’t heard anything back from my careers advisor yet and I doubt she will reply in time but we will have to see
Reply 10
Original post by vix.xvi
good luck both of you!!

Good luck to you too! What referencing by the way?
Good luck to you too! What referencing by the way?

you hv to reference anythign u refer to in ur essay....
r u doing it? I've been tryna figure it out for the last hour lmao
Original post by vix.xvi

I could try to help you. I just referenced websites, journal articles and images. What are you referencing?
I don’t know! Are you sure? I haven’t even met her before and she won’t really know of me and I don’t want her to take it the wrong way if I put in her email address and she starts getting loads of emails from them

Why would they send her 'loads of emails'?

For references, unless the person is your current employer, you usually ask people if they are prepared to give references before giving their details.

However, in this situation, where they have asked for a specific person, and that person is a teacher, especially a careers teacher, it's part of their job to answer things like this. So especially in the holidays, you can just put their details down. It's their job, nto a favour you are asking for.
Reply 14
Original post by threeportdrift
Why would they send her 'loads of emails'?

For references, unless the person is your current employer, you usually ask people if they are prepared to give references before giving their details.

However, in this situation, where they have asked for a specific person, and that person is a teacher, especially a careers teacher, it's part of their job to answer things like this. So especially in the holidays, you can just put their details down. It's their job, nto a favour you are asking for.

I understand, thank you for your help
Reply 15
Original post by vix.xvi

I referenced articles and websites that I got ideas from
I could try to help you. I just referenced websites, journal articles and images. What are you referencing?

im just referencing websites and stuff...like this for example (:

https://www.epa.gov/facts-and-figures-about-materials-waste-and-recycling/plastics-material-specific-data

its ok though i just did som random referencing lol thankss
(edited 3 years ago)

also yeah! i dont mind exchanging entires...would be interesting to see (:
Original post by vix.xvi
also yeah! i dont mind exchanging entires...would be interesting to see (:

Great! On Tuesday/after the deadline we can exchange :smile: Which subject and age category are you? Did you already enter? I did yesterday.
Great! On Tuesday/after the deadline we can exchange :smile: Which subject and age category are you? Did you already enter? I did yesterday.

cool
chemistry in 16-18
gonna enter tonight..i do everything last minute haha

hbu? what subject and category? (:

Quick Reply

Latest