The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Bay Campus

Heyyy, I'm going to the Bay Campus at Swansea university. Does anyone have any advice, tips or general knowledge such as shops or facilities there? Much love

Scroll to see replies

There is a Tesco express there. Also a couple of Cafes, a Restaurant, a Santander bank, Pub, Gym, Library, the Great Hall and a Multi Games Area. It is about 2 and 1/2 miles from the centre of Swansea. There are many buses linking the Bay Campus with both the city centre and Singleton Campus. The number 8 runs from the Bay to Singleton through the city centre and bus station. The number 9 goes directly between the 2 campuses and onto the Student Village and the number 10 links both campuses via the Rail Station and the private accommodation halls.
In addition there are numerous buses going past the front of the campus to the city centre.

The city centre houses all the major banks, shops, cinemas, theatres, restaurants, leisure centre and indoor bowling alleys. There are McDonalds and Starbucks which I think are still 24 hours about a mile from the campus.

Shops in Swansea include Debenhams, M&S, Next, River Island, Primark, Boots, Sports Direct, Zara, Slater Menswear, Animal, WH Smith, Superdry, JD Sports, HMV and New Look.

Swansea has absolutely numerous bars and restaurants including TGI Friday, Nandos, McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Express, Ask, and a host of different nationalities including French, Italian, South American, Caribbean, Portugese, Greek, Turkish, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese and Mexican.

The Leisure Centre is one of Wales biggest attractions.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Woah! 1st of all thank you so much for the response!! I went there yesterday to have a look around but we didn't have enough time to check out in town (I didn't realize it was that far away from the centre WHOOPS). I guess picking out food throughout the week would be perfectly fine and cheap from Tesco Express, I can always catch the bus once a week or so for less essential items. I love going on walks anyway so it'll be nice to explore the city. Quick question, if you catch the uni bus to the Singleton campus, can you get off in town and vice versa? With the 3rd off tickets, it would be great. Again thank you so much for responding, I can't wait to move there very soon!
There are so many different tickets and for annual termly, or daily tickets you would be able to get off whenever or wherever you like. If you had a return or single ticket then no but usually most have term, annual or daily tickets. Most travel to the very big Tesco next to the bus station and do their shopping there for the week and get anything else on line. Some order supermarket deliveries online from the likes of Tesco, Asda etc.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/#my-travel-pass-bus-travel-discount-pass-for-16-21-year-olds-living-in-wales-contents
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/#term-time-bus-pass-contents
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/#day-ticket-contents.
Original post by AlwaysAlice
Woah! 1st of all thank you so much for the response!! I went there yesterday to have a look around but we didn't have enough time to check out in town (I didn't realize it was that far away from the centre WHOOPS). I guess picking out food throughout the week would be perfectly fine and cheap from Tesco Express, I can always catch the bus once a week or so for less essential items. I love going on walks anyway so it'll be nice to explore the city. Quick question, if you catch the uni bus to the Singleton campus, can you get off in town and vice versa? With the 3rd off tickets, it would be great. Again thank you so much for responding, I can't wait to move there very soon!

Hi.
I have lived on bay campus for the past year and commute to Singleton campus. Only the 8 goes via the bus station for the city centre the 9 and 10 go around the outside instead. First bus aren’t actually bringing the 9 into service for this term so you will only have the 8 or 10 to get between campus in which case the 8 is the quickest by around 10/15mins. If you get a day ticket or a term pass or annual pass you will have unlimited bus travel. There are also a number of buses that go from the road outside bay campus to the bus station such as the X1, X5 and 38 where you can get a connection to Singleton such as the 4 to Singleton campus (not Morriston hospital) or 3a.
Tesco express is okay, and some people do live out of it but most people take the bus ride to the big Tesco next to the bus station or the Sainsbury’s which is on the main route to the bus station to do their food shopping.
Tesco on campus also has a habit of increasing prices so it is actually cheaper sometimes to just take the journey into town and you’ll get more options. Most people use tesco express to grab last minute stuff like milk, comfort food, alcohol, sand which meal deals and ready meals. Tbh, that is pretty much the entirety of what Tesco stocks.
With the parcel room, address everything to your accommodation address. Letters will be delivered to your block postbox and accommodation will email you to tell you that you have a parcel. You can then collect your parcel during opening hours. Just so you know, the parcel room is shut at weekends so if you order anything that comes via courier (not by Royal Mail) make sure it doesn’t arrive on a Saturday or Sunday (or bank holiday Monday) as couriers have a habit of attempting delivery and then returning your parcel to sender (mostly Hermes).
Fire alarm testing on bay is every Wednesday morning so don’t expect a lie in on that day. Also, invest in a good long rain coat because umbrellas don’t stand a chance on bay. When it rains on bay in the winter it rains and a shower proof rain mac won’t protect you. I’m guessing your a girl due to your username so this will be easier for you to find, so buy a coat that is water proof (not showerproof) and goes down to around your knees and has a decent hood. You’ll thank me in January when you have been through 3 + storms in 50mph winds and torrential rain whilst walking back to your flat from the bus with your shopping. Also, a waterproof or showerproof backpack so that your laptop doesn’t get water damaged in the rain. I have a showerproof backpack and whilst the inside of my backpack has got damp in some very bad downpours, my laptop sleeve is also splash-proof so my laptop was fine.
I know the above advice seems a bit extreme but you have to remember that bay campus is basically on the beach so there is no breaker for the weather. When it hits, it hits at full force which is absolutely amazing unless you have to go out in it. A good raincoat on bay is an absolute must! Most people end up buying one by the end of November.
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
I have lived on bay campus for the past year and commute to Singleton campus. Only the 8 goes via the bus station for the city centre the 9 and 10 go around the outside instead. First bus aren’t actually bringing the 9 into service for this term so you will only have the 8 or 10 to get between campus in which case the 8 is the quickest by around 10/15mins. If you get a day ticket or a term pass or annual pass you will have unlimited bus travel. There are also a number of buses that go from the road outside bay campus to the bus station such as the X1, X5 and 38 where you can get a connection to Singleton such as the 4 to Singleton campus (not Morriston hospital) or 3a.
Tesco express is okay, and some people do live out of it but most people take the bus ride to the big Tesco next to the bus station or the Sainsbury’s which is on the main route to the bus station to do their food shopping.
Tesco on campus also has a habit of increasing prices so it is actually cheaper sometimes to just take the journey into town and you’ll get more options. Most people use tesco express to grab last minute stuff like milk, comfort food, alcohol, sand which meal deals and ready meals. Tbh, that is pretty much the entirety of what Tesco stocks.
With the parcel room, address everything to your accommodation address. Letters will be delivered to your block postbox and accommodation will email you to tell you that you have a parcel. You can then collect your parcel during opening hours. Just so you know, the parcel room is shut at weekends so if you order anything that comes via courier (not by Royal Mail) make sure it doesn’t arrive on a Saturday or Sunday (or bank holiday Monday) as couriers have a habit of attempting delivery and then returning your parcel to sender (mostly Hermes).
Fire alarm testing on bay is every Wednesday morning so don’t expect a lie in on that day. Also, invest in a good long rain coat because umbrellas don’t stand a chance on bay. When it rains on bay in the winter it rains and a shower proof rain mac won’t protect you. I’m guessing your a girl due to your username so this will be easier for you to find, so buy a coat that is water proof (not showerproof) and goes down to around your knees and has a decent hood. You’ll thank me in January when you have been through 3 + storms in 50mph winds and torrential rain whilst walking back to your flat from the bus with your shopping. Also, a waterproof or showerproof backpack so that your laptop doesn’t get water damaged in the rain. I have a showerproof backpack and whilst the inside of my backpack has got damp in some very bad downpours, my laptop sleeve is also splash-proof so my laptop was fine.
I know the above advice seems a bit extreme but you have to remember that bay campus is basically on the beach so there is no breaker for the weather. When it hits, it hits at full force which is absolutely amazing unless you have to go out in it. A good raincoat on bay is an absolute must! Most people end up buying one by the end of November.

I have just discovered that First Cymru are not running unibuses into the Bus Station this year so they wont be convenient for shopping in Tesco or Sainsbury. You will probably need to catch one of the buses stopping outside the campus or have a walk to catch the bus on the Kingsway or over the bridge from Sainsbury's. The number 8 is being diverted on the route the number 10 used to take up to the railway station then down the Kingsway and onto St Helens Road. The service is no longer 24 hours probably because the nightclubs are now closed. The buses run from approx 7 in the morning with the last leaving at approx 11pm. This may change if nightclubs open when coronavirus is sorted.

https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/south-west-wales/Service_8_MF_Sa_SU_1stSept20.pdf
https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/south-west-wales/Service_10_MF_Sa_SU_1stSept20.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
I have just discovered that First Cymru are not running unibuses into the Bus Station this year so they wont be convenient for shopping in Tesco or Sainsbury. You will probably need to catch one of the buses stopping outside the campus or have a walk to catch the bus on the Kingsway or over the bridge from Sainsbury's. The number 8 is being diverted on the route the number 10 used to take up to the railway station then down the Kingsway and onto St Helens Road. The service is no longer 24 hours probably because the nightclubs are now closed. The buses run from approx 7 in the morning with the last leaving at approx 11pm. This may change if nightclubs open when coronavirus is sorted.

https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/south-west-wales/Service_8_MF_Sa_SU_1stSept20.pdf
https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/south-west-wales/Service_10_MF_Sa_SU_1stSept20.pdf

That has got to be wrong. The 8 will be serving the bus station. I’m going to email uni now to check this.
That has got to be wrong. The 8 will be serving the bus station. I’m going to email uni now to check this.

It is the case. The university are saying so. Clearly they want this bus going past Student Roost, Rail Station and Oldway Centre. They think this is going to save time not going into the Bus Station.

First Cymru have adjusted their campus to campus services for Swansea University students in line with the covid-19 pandemic. With the needs of our students in mind, the Number 8 will take a more direct route between Hendrefoilan Student Village, Singleton and Bay Campus, via the Kingsway and missing out Sketty Park Estate and the Quadrant Bus Station. The Number 10 route will remain the same. Please note that First Cymru will review and adjust these services in line with student need and with any change in Government advice and guidance.
It is the case. The university are saying so. Clearly they want this bus going past Student Roost, Rail Station and Oldway Centre. They think this is going to save time not going into the Bus Station.

First Cymru have adjusted their campus to campus services for Swansea University students in line with the covid-19 pandemic. With the needs of our students in mind, the Number 8 will take a more direct route between Hendrefoilan Student Village, Singleton and Bay Campus, via the Kingsway and missing out Sketty Park Estate and the Quadrant Bus Station. The Number 10 route will remain the same. Please note that First Cymru will review and adjust these services in line with student need and with any change in Government advice and guidance.

Where did you find that?
Here is the link. It is shown on campus to campus services

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/
There are so many different tickets and for annual termly, or daily tickets you would be able to get off whenever or wherever you like. If you had a return or single ticket then no but usually most have term, annual or daily tickets. Most travel to the very big Tesco next to the bus station and do their shopping there for the week and get anything else on line. Some order supermarket deliveries online from the likes of Tesco, Asda etc.

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/#my-travel-pass-bus-travel-discount-pass-for-16-21-year-olds-living-in-wales-contents
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/#term-time-bus-pass-contents
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/sustainability/travel/by-bus/#day-ticket-contents.

Yeah that is what I'll do, not sure about ordering online though. Thank you for linking everything! Very useful
Hi.

Hey, thank you for all of the information! I'm guessing catching the number 8 bus single day tickets are best this year due to the uncertainty of Corona (providing it does go into town this year). Silly question, but is the parcel room for big parcels or just letters? As in can you order any sized stuff? Haha thanks for the heads up with the fire alarm, I am an early bird but that sounds like such a pain!! So glad that I've already got a raincoat. I didn't think about the weather, I was going to put my laptop and everything else in a backpack. Maybe getting a waterproof case before I go is wise. Thank you for the information, very helpful! :smile:
Hey, thank you for all of the information! I'm guessing catching the number 8 bus single day tickets are best this year due to the uncertainty of Corona (providing it does go into town this year). Silly question, but is the parcel room for big parcels or just letters? As in can you order any sized stuff? Haha thanks for the heads up with the fire alarm, I am an early bird but that sounds like such a pain!! So glad that I've already got a raincoat. I didn't think about the weather, I was going to put my laptop and everything else in a backpack. Maybe getting a waterproof case before I go is wise. Thank you for the information, very helpful! :smile:

Hi.
Yeh the parcel room is for parcels. Letters go there too but then get sent to the block post boxes. Obviously don’t go ordering a garden shed or a 3 seater sofa because accommodation will get a bit grumpy but people order rugs and things like that. I’ve even seen a large tv in there before.

The number 8 and 10 do go into the city centre. The Kingsway is the main road through the city centre. It is 1 street away from the Market and 2 from the the Quadrant Shopping Centre. The problem is Tesco is the other side of the shopping centre and the bus station backs onto the Quadrant Shopping Centre so it is a further walk and with shopping bags you dont really want to walk further. You can catch one of the many buses that go from the Quadrant to the road outside the Bay Campus but you will have to walk over the main road with shopping. It isnt that far but something you could do without when carrying shopping.

You might be better using day tickets rather than Single or Returns. There are other options including term tickets. If you are staying and studying on the Bay daily tickets will probably be best. If you are travelling into the city centre very often or staying on one campus and travelling to the other for lectures there might be better options. You really need to assess it when you arrive. Dont forget to sign up for the Welsh Assembly scheme offering 1/3 off.
hey everyone,

the link to first bus's website when they discuss the campus to campus bus is https://www.firstgroup.com/south-west-wales/routes-and-maps/swansea-university you are correct in saying that the bus does pass our building here at student roost. just remember currently in wales it is not mandatory (but is recommended) to wear a mask in shops but it is mandatory to wear a mask while on public transport.
Hi.
Yeh the parcel room is for parcels. Letters go there too but then get sent to the block post boxes. Obviously don’t go ordering a garden shed or a 3 seater sofa because accommodation will get a bit grumpy but people order rugs and things like that. I’ve even seen a large tv in there before.

Woah that is absolutely amazing!!
You might be better using day tickets rather than Single or Returns. There are other options including term tickets. If you are staying and studying on the Bay daily tickets will probably be best. If you are travelling into the city centre very often or staying on one campus and travelling to the other for lectures there might be better options. You really need to assess it when you arrive. Dont forget to sign up for the Welsh Assembly scheme offering 1/3 off.

Yeah, that's what I mean by the single day tickets. Getting term or yearly tickets seems like a waste as I'll only be travelling to go shopping or to look around. I'll be sure to apply for the scheme as well
The number 8 and 10 do go into the city centre. The Kingsway is the main road through the city centre. It is 1 street away from the Market and 2 from the the Quadrant Shopping Centre. The problem is Tesco is the other side of the shopping centre and the bus station backs onto the Quadrant Shopping Centre so it is a further walk and with shopping bags you dont really want to walk further. You can catch one of the many buses that go from the Quadrant to the road outside the Bay Campus but you will have to walk over the main road with shopping. It isnt that far but something you could do without when carrying shopping.

Ah okay, the problem is that I haven't looked around there much. I will be going there on the 7th September, so I'll check then how long it will be to walk around. Thanks for the heads up!
Thanks for the link :smile: I've gotten into a habit of wearing a face mask where ever I go with lots of people around, looks like wearing one will become mandatory everywhere outside soon enough.

Quick Reply

Latest