The Student Room Group

I got ABC for A-levels - Investment Banking

will the grades ABC for A-levels be a disadvantage for someone trying to get into Investment Banking, I got into Newcastle, and was wondering if getting a good grade there is the only thing that matters. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

IB is ultra competitive and your grades and uni choice are frankly not sufficient. Your best chance will be to build substantial experience in a field relevant to IB if you want to be in with a chance of competing.

I'd suggest you look at other careers.
Reply 2
Original post by KaptainCliff
IB is ultra competitive and your grades and uni choice are frankly not sufficient. Your best chance will be to build substantial experience in a field relevant to IB if you want to be in with a chance of competing.

I could retake 1 a-level and get AAB and then get into Leeds, would this be better?
imo 2 ways to overwrite a level performance.

1) get your degree from newcastle. smash it and get a masters at a really good uni
2) break into big 4 corporate finance as a grad and then lateral across to IB.
wait do grades matter for investment banking? I don't see how a level grades from 3/4 years ago would matter though? I guess it might matter a lit bit for internships but idk
Reply 5
Original post by royalty1702
wait do grades matter for investment banking? I don't see how a level grades from 3/4 years ago would matter though? I guess it might matter a lit bit for internships but idk

Yh apparently for grad schemes they require minimum UCAS points so it's around AAB-ABB, and it matters for spring week internships, that's why I'm considering retaking

How about 2020 graduates? Are they still really strict with grades with this cohort of A Level students or is there more emphasis on first year grades?
Reply 7
Original post by tw15st3d
imo 2 ways to overwrite a level performance.

1) get your degree from newcastle. smash it and get a masters at a really good uni
2) break into big 4 corporate finance as a grad and then lateral across to IB.

I'm not sure about masters, you don't need it for IB, I'm taking a year out to study full-time anyway so I was thinking of retaking 1 subject I got a C in
You can probably work FOR an IB in a back office role with those grades. But not FO.
Original post by James Rahman
I could retake 1 a-level and get AAB and then get into Leeds, would this be better?

Typically - though not always - successful IB candidates will have A*A*A A levels and will have gone to a top 5 UK university (i.e Oxbridge, etc).

Sorry to be so pessimistic but there are so many people with high hopes of earning £££+ in IB having seen The Wolf of Wall Street that employers can be exceptionally picky when it comes to shortlisting the thousands of applicants. Unless you're lucky to be in a position to get some work experience directly in banking, your chances are meagre.

My advice would be to focus on getting a decent education at uni, maybe get a part-time job and take up a meaningful volunteering position (become a magistrate, work for charity hotlines (NSPCC?) or become a special constable, etc). With those three things you'll be in a good position to get a decent job upon graduation. That's what I did anyway and I got an actuarial job offer (very competitive, though not as much as IB) before I graduated.
Original post by futurelawtrainee
How about 2020 graduates? Are they still really strict with grades with this cohort of A Level students or is there more emphasis on first year grades?

Few employers in my opinion will look at your CV in a few years and give you a job out of pity for being in the class of 2020. Unfortunately, despite it being unfair - and for which you have my every sympathy - there will be others in the class of 2020 that did fine and got their really high grades.
Reply 11
Original post by royalty1702

they matter for investment banking. its because they receive loads of applications, so have to filter out some applications through this way
I'm not sure about masters, you don't need it for IB, I'm taking a year out to study full-time anyway so I was thinking of retaking 1 subject I got a C in

Applicants don't usually need a masters, but getting it from a target is something you might have to do considering the a level results. Just look around on linkedin.
Reply 13
Original post by tw15st3d
Applicants don't usually need a masters, but getting it from a target is something you might have to do considering the a level results. Just look around on linkedin.

Original post by Raja12
they matter for investment banking. its because they receive loads of applications, so have to filter out some applications through this way

Typically - though not always - successful IB candidates will have A*A*A A levels and will have gone to a top 5 UK university (i.e Oxbridge, etc).

Sorry to be so pessimistic but there are so many people with high hopes of earning £££+ in IB having seen The Wolf of Wall Street that employers can be exceptionally picky when it comes to shortlisting the thousands of applicants. Unless you're lucky to be in a position to get some work experience directly in banking, your chances are meagre.

My advice would be to focus on getting a decent education at uni, maybe get a part-time job and take up a meaningful volunteering position (become a magistrate, work for charity hotlines (NSPCC?) or become a special constable, etc). With those three things you'll be in a good position to get a decent job upon graduation. That's what I did anyway and I got an actuarial job offer (very competitive, though not as much as IB) before I graduated.

Original post by BusMan21
You can probably work FOR an IB in a back office role with those grades. But not FO.

I could do a foundation degree at Warwick, would this be better?
Reply 14
Reply 15

a lot better. warwick is a target university, on the same level on oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial
Reply 16
Original post by Raja12
a lot better. warwick is a target university, on the same level on oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Imperial

would it matter if its foundation? I would also be studying Management.
Reply 17

degree doesn't matter in investment banking, its more what university you go to. it doesn't matter if its foundation however you are going to be losing a year. Also, you will still need to have ABB or AAB A-Level requirement.

Yes that is ALOT better. Your grades nor uni choice are competitive (unless you get a first and then break into a top business school for an MBA), but a degree from warwick in management would be a good advantage; though you still have to work very hard and score top grades while in Warwick to improve your chances. The degree ultimately would not say Management with foundation years, but Management, which is suitable for a job in the banking world.
Reply 19
Hi James. I’m in the same position as you. Didn’t perform well in my A Levels but got into Newcastle. What are you doing now? Did you transfer? Any tips? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending