Insurance, MOT & Tax are the first things
AlexaJones
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Joshkav)
Insurance, MOT & Tax are the first things
What should be kept in the car in case of emergency?
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Basically they are a money absorbing nightmare. Tax, insurance, servicing and tyres add up to a fortune. Not to mention the risk of some other part going catastrophically wrong. So work your way as quickly as you can to a job where someone provides this for you.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlexaJones)
I keep a first aid kit, space blanket [folded], wind-up [small] torch, pen and paper.

In snow I carry a spade and flask of something hot.
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I keep a first aid kit, space blanket [folded], wind-up [small] torch, pen and paper.

In snow I carry a spade and flask of something hot.
Exactly what Muttley said, but I would also get breakdown cover as well. Costs me only £60 for the year for the full package with unlimited call outs
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joshkav)
Exactly what Muttley said, but I would also get breakdown cover as well. Costs me only £60 for the year for the full package with unlimited call outs
Yes I agree with getting breakdown cover but I got that free with my car when I bought it
Joshkav
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Yes I agree with getting breakdown cover but I got that free with my car when I bought it
I got my Ford Focus new, so got free breakdown cover with them and will keep being free, as long as the car keeps getting serviced. But I have no idea who provides this service, as Ford just have you ring their breakdown number. So bought my own as well, at least I know who I am with, where they are (as I can track them) and how long they will be
Bexjw
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Always make sure you have screenwash and oil (and a cloth) handy. Some sort of high visibility clothing e.g. a coat/ vest for if you’re broken down and have to exit the car for safety. A phone charger/ power bank are also handy.

Also keep a copy of your insurance/ breakdown policies in your car, including all the relevant contact details.
Last edited by Bexjw; 1 month ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
If you've recently passed your test, you may want to consider "P" plates. Most people who've just passed their test think they're competent drivers; they're not - they've just reached the minimum standard to be allowed on the road alone.
InfiniteWill
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anyone got any tips for new car owners what they'll need etc
If you want your car to last long... give it a wash every week, protecting its paint work. (wash from top down so dirt at the bottom can 'dissolve' in the liquid for longer time)

Check Oil level, cooling fluid level, clutch fluid level, tyre thread, Underbody, propeller shaft for any unexpected movement and brake disk pads every 3000 miles.

try to clean underbody every week

You can also try decarbonising the engine so it lasts longer.

Also, if you scrape your car body, try to prevent rust building up by covering bare metal quickly with paint or else the body will become weaker as you dig out the rust and add filler paint over it.

Don't use your car for journeys less than 10 mins (time it takes for engine to build up heat to evaporate the water in exhaust pipes)

Also don't put your heater on right as you start the car

Also WATER and raw METAL is NEVER GOOD, use small amount of petrol on a wipe to clean.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have said, breakdown cover, it's a huge relief knowing you can lift a phone 24 hours and say 'Come get me!'

Tyre stuff - Spare/filler goo, jack & socket for changing and a 12v compressor, it's good to get a bit of practice because you don't really want to learn in the middle of the night by a wet & muddy roadside.

Some spare bulbs and a torch are good to keep too, generally pretty standard and cheap.

I won't go much into first aid, food, water, blankets ect...but basically you should be able to spend a night in the car if it really came to it.
Max217
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Breakdown Cover, Spare Tyre/ Filler and a Compressor, Lug Wrench, Work Gloves, Torch, Jump leads, Phone charger, Jacket and it's never a bad idea to have a yellow vest and some spare money just in case. And if you ever break down, especially on the hard shoulder, get out the car and stand a good distance away from it on the bank on whatever, I see far too many people broken down on the hard shoulder sitting in the car. All it takes is someone not paying attention or making a mistake and game over.
alex282
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I keep a bottle of water in mine cause one of my fuel pipes is leaking so the inside stinks of petrol fumes and could go on fire at any time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.52%
I'm not sure (45)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (308)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.61%
I'm not a current university student (503)
48.69%

Watched Threads