The Student Room Group

The Pursuit of A*s - A Year 12 GYG, 2020/2021

Hi, hello!

I've seen plenty of new GYG blogs pop up recently, and as I've recently been interacting more with TSR, I thought I'd do one too! So hello, my name is Nat, and as you can see, I'm going into Year 12 this year! The title, by the way, is a pun on the movie 'The Pursuit of Happyness' in case it seemed quite random. If you have a blog too, link it below so that I can follow! (You can tag me, too!) I really, really hope this format works!

(Disclaimer: Maybe it's a bit of a stretch, aiming for A*s by the end of Year 12, but hey - aim for the moon, land on the stars right?)

Anyway! At first, I wasn't going to do one of these but then I thought that it would probably motivate me to do better throughout the year! So prepare for the ups and downs of a new school through covid-19 :,) In a way, this is also a memento for me to remember what a wacky year this will probably turn out to be! Fingers crossed all goes well!

Time for some background info!
GCSEs

Spoiler

A Levels

Spoiler

Hobbies/Interests!

Spoiler

_______________________ :bubbles:________________________

Goals This Year

Spoiler

Post Masterlist!

Spoiler

Schedule

Spoiler

__________________________:emog:________________________

Tag List!
Let me know if you'd like in or out!

Spoiler

Hope to see you all soon! :undefined:macarena
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

My college stated to me, you will get B’s and C’s most of the year but this doesn’t mean you won’t get A* next year. I got A stars in most of my tests. Remember by the end of year 12, you will not get A stars for the full spec, but certainly for the AS spec with hard work. I’m currently predicted all A stars. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by killak434
My college stated to me, you will get B’s and C’s most of the year but this doesn’t mean you won’t get A* next year. I got A stars in most of my tests. Remember by the end of year 12, you will not get A stars for the full spec, but certainly for the AS spec with hard work. I’m currently predicted all A stars. Good luck.

thank you for the heads up! we'll consider this part 1 then, haha - part 2 will, fingers crossed, be the a* year :,) congrats for the a stars, that's amazing!
No problem. I’ll give you a few tips. College is nothing like GCSE, if you don’t do work off your own back you will get low grades. I know a student who got straight 9’s in all his a levels. I got a few 8’s and the rest 7’s and 6’s. He scored 50% in most of his maths and I scored high 90’s. Extra work is the key. Always be asking your teachers for extra work and what else you can do. Always look for improvements, nothing will ever be perfect. Develop your exam skills, eg essay writing if you do subjects like economics etc.
Reply 4
No problem. I’ll give you a few tips. College is nothing like GCSE, if you don’t do work off your own back you will get low grades. I know a student who got straight 9’s in all his a levels. I got a few 8’s and the rest 7’s and 6’s. He scored 50% in most of his maths and I scored high 90’s. Extra work is the key. Always be asking your teachers for extra work and what else you can do. Always look for improvements, nothing will ever be perfect. Develop your exam skills, eg essay writing if you do subjects like economics etc.

that's amazing advice, thank you! i'll definitely keep this in mind :')
Also don’t let your ego get to you. I think this was a major problem I faced coming close to lockdown. I spent the year getting straight A stars because I worked extremely hard and then I stopped because I decided I won’t drop grades. This led to me having to go over loads of work to remember. Just because u get an A star in one test doesn’t mean u will get an A star in the next. Always stay consistent in terms of hard work and revision. Make timetables, u do not want to end up working all day. Some break time is good and it is much better for you in terms of motivation, when you will break in the day
Reply 6
Also don’t let your ego get to you. I think this was a major problem I faced coming close to lockdown. I spent the year getting straight A stars because I worked extremely hard and then I stopped because I decided I won’t drop grades. This led to me having to go over loads of work to remember. Just because u get an A star in one test doesn’t mean u will get an A star in the next. Always stay consistent in terms of hard work and revision. Make timetables, u do not want to end up working all day. Some break time is good and it is much better for you in terms of motivation, when you will break in the day

ooh i see. that's very true! thanks again for telling me this, i will check myself often haha
All the best! :hugs:
I love your blog banner btw!
Reply 8
Original post by laurawatt

ahh thank you so much! :,) glad you like it!
Best of luck, I love your OP :h:
Original post by Mesopotamian.

thank youu! :,)
Original post by laurawatt

also, if either of you want a tag let me know! :,)
Happy to be tagged :smile:

Good luck with year 12, I moved to a college for sixth form where I knew nobody but manage to settle in really quickly, if you are stuggling to meet people, make sure you join any clubs that you are interested in as you will meet people with similar interests :biggrin:
Original post by Becca216
Happy to be tagged :smile:

Good luck with year 12, I moved to a college for sixth form where I knew nobody but manage to settle in really quickly, if you are stuggling to meet people, make sure you join any clubs that you are interested in as you will meet people with similar interests :biggrin:

ahh thank you, will keep that in mind! + ooh that's so nice to hear :biggrin:
Original post by bookausten
also, if either of you want a tag let me know! :,)

Tag me please :yep:
I wish I could be bothered to put as much effort into my blog OP as everyone else on here :innocent:
Tag me please :yep:
I wish I could be bothered to put as much effort into my blog OP as everyone else on here :innocent:

wiil do ! :smile: if you decide to try anything and you need any help, let me know!
For humanities / social sciences, I would highly recommend extra reading daily throughout all of year 12. Magazines, news, books, online lectures, etc. It really helps you to maintain your knowledge as you are effectively refreshing your subjects daily, but also means that you will pick up argument structures and see your learning in context.
Original post by hw8
For humanities / social sciences, I would highly recommend extra reading daily throughout all of year 12. Magazines, news, books, online lectures, etc. It really helps you to maintain your knowledge as you are effectively refreshing your subjects daily, but also means that you will pick up argument structures and see your learning in context.

that's actually so true, i hadn't thought of that! do you have any go-to sources?
Good day!

Sorry if the flashy first post bothers anyone haha, I like the first pages of anything to look neat :,) (because they will undoubtedly get messier as we progress.)

Sixth Form Prep
Until Thursday, I'm pretty much just preparing for my first couple of days. We got an email about new safety measures, and the one way system will either be super easy to navigate, or will cause me to get lost so quickly haha
I have completed all the bridging work (just), but I think I need to do some extra just to keep me sane (not much!)

Spoiler

Other than that, I'll just need to do some folder organising (I have the cutest mini planner! I know studying isn't all about the aesthetic, but it certainly helps!) Additionally, I hope that all of these exclamation points don't come off as too loud, I think I'm just a very excitable person. (<- that just looks rude to me!) Thank you to everyone who has replied already, you've got some amazing tips!

I'm definitely looking forward to Thursday to get to know everything at a new school, meet form tutors, etc. We're going to be using microsoft teams somehow as well -- I'm just wondering if that means classes will be split or something?

Spoiler

Tags :cube:
Let me know if you want to in or out!

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bookausten
Good day!

Sorry if the flashy first post bothers anyone haha, I like the first pages of anything to look neat :,) (because they will undoubtedly get messier as we progress.)

Sixth Form Prep
Until Thursday, I'm pretty much just preparing for my first couple of days. We got an email about new safety measures, and the one way system will either be super easy to navigate, or will cause me to get lost so quickly haha
I have completed all the bridging work (just), but I think I need to do some extra just to keep me sane (not much!)

Spoiler

Other than that, I'll just need to do some folder organising (I have the cutest mini planner! I know studying isn't all about the aesthetic, but it certainly helps!) Additionally, I hope that all of these exclamation points don't come off as too loud, I think I'm just a very excitable person. (<- that just looks rude to me!) Thank you to everyone who has replied already, you've got some amazing tips!

I'm definitely looking forward to Thursday to get to know everything at a new school, meet form tutors, etc. We're going to be using microsoft teams somehow as well -- I'm just wondering if that means classes will be split or something?

Spoiler

Tags :cube:
Let me know if you want to in or out!

Spoiler

My uni started using Microsoft teams too - your classes don’t have to be split if they aren’t originally planned to be so. The teams meetings can allow a large number of people in so you’ll most likely have everyone in your class with you at the same time (for better or worse haha)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending