The Student Room Group

What good has Sadiq Khan done for London?

Scroll to see replies

Bus hopper fare
Original post by Occitanie
I’ll be happy to hear anything and everything he’s done since he’s been Mayor.

The answer is very little.

As mayor he basically has three roles. To be the figurehead, to manage transport in the city and to manage crime in the city.

As a figurehead if i take out my political dislike he's been okay although he's prone to stupid choices like engaging Trump in Twitter arguments. He generally argues well for London in terms of powers and influence and has a reasonable relationship with the incumbent Tory government.

In terms of transport then he's worse than Ken/Boris but has made no real mistakes so again probably gets a tick here for acceptable.

In terms of crime he has been abysmal. His opposition to racial profiling and Stop and Search (whether minorities and lefties like it or not, those things work) and no doubt contributed to increasing crime as his decision to reduce police numbers.
Original post by Rakas21
The answer is very little.

As mayor he basically has three roles. To be the figurehead, to manage transport in the city and to manage crime in the city.

As a figurehead if i take out my political dislike he's been okay although he's prone to stupid choices like engaging Trump in Twitter arguments. He generally argues well for London in terms of powers and influence and has a reasonable relationship with the incumbent Tory government.

In terms of transport then he's worse than Ken/Boris but has made no real mistakes so again probably gets a tick here for acceptable.

In terms of crime he has been abysmal. His opposition to racial profiling and Stop and Search (whether minorities and lefties like it or not, those things work) and no doubt contributed to increasing crime as his decision to reduce police numbers.

Completely agree with that - although you say Kahn has made 'no real mistakes' in terms of transport. You could quite easily argue he's made a number of mistakes:

Increasing the congestion charge to £15 forcing custom away from businesses inside the zone.
Creating widespread congestion for vehicles by closing off roads for cycling lanes.
Failing to manage TfL finances leading to an annual operating deficit nearing £1bn.
Freezing fares to gain popularity leading to a £640m loss in revenue.
Cutting bus capacity to save costs, meaning many people are left without transport (mostly older people).
Failing to manage CrossRail which under his leadership is £3bn over budget and 3 years behind schedule.
Failing to provide PPE to TfL staff leading to 42 Covid deaths of TfL workers.
Cutting underground services on so that social distancing was impossible for commuters.

And that's just to name a few!

Although many of these are pandemic-related and possibly not his direct decision, he is responsible for them and has made far too many mistakes to even comprehend. I don't recall London ever having had so many transport problems than under Kahn's leadership.
Reply 23
Original post by JOSH4598
Completely agree with that - although you say Kahn has made 'no real mistakes' in terms of transport. You could quite easily argue he's made a number of mistakes:

Increasing the congestion charge to £15 forcing custom away from businesses inside the zone.
Creating widespread congestion for vehicles by closing off roads for cycling lanes.
Failing to manage TfL finances leading to an annual operating deficit nearing £1bn.
Freezing fares to gain popularity leading to a £640m loss in revenue.
Cutting bus capacity to save costs, meaning many people are left without transport (mostly older people).
Failing to manage CrossRail which under his leadership is £3bn over budget and 3 years behind schedule.
Failing to provide PPE to TfL staff leading to 42 Covid deaths of TfL workers.
Cutting underground services on so that social distancing was impossible for commuters.

And that's just to name a few!

Although many of these are pandemic-related and possibly not his direct decision, he is responsible for them and has made far too many mistakes to even comprehend. I don't recall London ever having had so many transport problems than under Kahn's leadership.

It was the govt who increased the congestion charge to £15 not Khan. It was a condition of the coronavirus financial package.

Crossrail is central govt.

He didn't cut underground services - its just that lots of the staff caught Covid and there werent enough staff left to drive the tubes.

It wasn't up to him to provide PPE - that was a central govt duty.

And generally, you neglect to mention that his budget is set by central govt.
Reply 24
Original post by DSilva
You realise the police budget has been slashed by central government? Labour has been warning for the past 10 years that if you cut police budgets you get higher levels of crime, but tory sheep like you nodded along.

And as for TFL, you do realise we're in a pandemic right? Which cut passenger numbers by almost 90%. Not sure why you think Khan is responsible for that.

If the cuts came from the government, then why does Khan want to remove £110m?
Reply 25
If the cuts came from the government, then why does Khan want to remove £110m?

He doesn't...

Not sure if you've noticed but there's been a global pandemic which has absolutely decimated City hall's budget and that's on top of 10 years of central government cuts, especially to policing.

It's classic tory politics this, cut the budgets of Labour councils/mayors so that Labour take the flak for tory implemented cuts.

If you think the police should receive higher funding, you should be looking at central government.
Reply 26
Original post by DSilva
He doesn't...

Not sure if you've noticed but there's been a global pandemic which has absolutely decimated City hall's budget and that's on top of 10 years of central government cuts, especially to policing.

It's classic tory politics this, cut the budgets of Labour councils/mayors so that Labour take the flak for tory implemented cuts.

If you think the police should receive higher funding, you should be looking at central government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53195825

Earlier this week Mr Khan suggested City Hall could move to east London to save £11.1m a year in rent and charges.

Potential cuts of almost £110m in policing and £290m at Transport for London (TfL) were outlined in proposals by Mr Khan.
Not within Mr Khan's remit, but is the London Assembly really necessary?
Original post by barnetlad
Not within Mr Khan's remit, but is the London Assembly really necessary?

No. Ideally all devolved assemblies would be abolished.
Reply 29
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53195825

Earlier this week Mr Khan suggested City Hall could move to east London to save £11.1m a year in rent and charges.

Potential cuts of almost £110m in policing and £290m at Transport for London (TfL) were outlined in proposals by Mr Khan.

Did you actually read that article?

He's not saying he wants to cut them, he's simply saying that the pandemic has hit city hall's finances so hard that they no longer have the money to fund various services to the same extent. And it's obvisouly been made 1000 times worse by ten years of cuts to police funding and local authorities by the Tories.

You seem to have little idea of just how restricted the powers of the Mayor are, including his revenue raising powers.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
Did you actually read that article?

He's not saying he wants to cut them, he's simply saying that the pandemic has hit city hall's finances so hard that they no longer have the money to fund various services to the same extent. And it's obvisouly been made 1000 times worse by ten years of cuts to police funding and local authorities by the Tories.

You seem to have little idea of just how restricted the powers of the Mayor are, including his revenue raising powers.

He’s struggling for finances because over his tenure staff costs have risen by 83%. He’s also purchased himself a brand new Land Rover at the expense of £200,000. No wonder he’s in dire straights.

Are you another one in his support brigade who thinks somehow the Mayor of London should not be responsible for actually what goes on in London? Better off not having a Mayor in that case, and if that means no Khan, I’m fully supportive of that. As Rakas has said, he has been abysmal on crime, absolutely abysmal. He, along with MPs like Dawn Butler have been responsible for the further damaging of the polices reputation.
Reply 32
Original post by imlikeahermit
He’s struggling for finances because over his tenure staff costs have risen by 83%. He’s also purchased himself a brand new Land Rover at the expense of £200,000. No wonder he’s in dire straights.

Are you another one in his support brigade who thinks somehow the Mayor of London should not be responsible for actually what goes on in London? Better off not having a Mayor in that case, and if that means no Khan, I’m fully supportive of that. As Rakas has said, he has been abysmal on crime, absolutely abysmal. He, along with MPs like Dawn Butler have been responsible for the further damaging of the polices reputation.

No. In case you hadn't noticed, there's been a global pandemic which caused a 90% reduction in passenger numbers, as well as huge reductions in business rates income.
Reply 33

Post inflation? If not, then its not a raise at all.

And in any event, the pandemic has decimated City halls' budget, which he is in no way responsible for.
Reply 34

No, he's struggling for finances because of (a) the pandemic and (b) cuts from central government. Not entirely sure what you think he could have done about either of them.

Again, I remind you that it has been the Conservative govenemnt who have cut police budgets consistently for 10 years, not Khan.
Original post by DSilva
No, he's struggling for finances because of (a) the pandemic and (b) cuts from central government. Not entirely sure what you think he could have done about either of them.

Again, I remind you that it has been the Conservative govenemnt who have cut police budgets consistently for 10 years, not Khan.

What’s your point exactly? He’s struggling for funds so it’s absolutely fine that some areas of crime are up 50%?

Look, if, and it’s a big if, he had actually came out and done something about the levels of crime, hell, even talked about it, then his misdemeanours with spending could be forgiven. But how on Earth you can defend somebody who has overseen such a massive change on crime is beyond me.

It’s his rhetoric, it’s his way of dealing with things. Left wing hooligans turn up in London defacing statues, illegally protesting and assaulting police and he stays quiet. All of a sudden the right wing thugs turn up and Sadiq has something to say. Now I realise that is party politics however he should be above that.

In short, his record on crime and law and order is absolutely unforgivable.
Reply 36
What’s your point exactly? He’s struggling for funds so it’s absolutely fine that some areas of crime are up 50%?

Look, if, and it’s a big if, he had actually came out and done something about the levels of crime, hell, even talked about it, then his misdemeanours with spending could be forgiven. But how on Earth you can defend somebody who has overseen such a massive change on crime is beyond me.

It’s his rhetoric, it’s his way of dealing with things. Left wing hooligans turn up in London defacing statues, illegally protesting and assaulting police and he stays quiet. All of a sudden the right wing thugs turn up and Sadiq has something to say. Now I realise that is party politics however he should be above that.

In short, his record on crime and law and order is absolutely unforgivable.

If you cut police budgets and numbers, as the Tories have done, crime will go up. That has nothing to do with Khan.
Original post by DSilva
If you cut police budgets and numbers, as the Tories have done, crime will go up. That has nothing to do with Khan.

Champion. Might as well not have a Mayor of London then and save on the wages.

You back him, please, it’s only you who looks daft for supporting a mayor who’s overseen such a rapid increase in crime. And you’re still not getting the point over his attitude.
Reply 38
Champion. Might as well not have a Mayor of London then and save on the wages.

You back him, please, it’s only you who looks daft for supporting a mayor who’s overseen such a rapid increase in crime. And you’re still not getting the point over his attitude.

I don't feel strongly either way about him. I just find it utterly absurd how the poltical right have made him out to be this bogey man.

Do you really not recognised that if you massively cut police budgets and numbers that you are going to get an increase in crime? And what's the alternative? Shaun Bailey? Please.

You should be furious at the Tory government, not him.
Original post by DSilva
I don't feel strongly either way about him. I just find it utterly absurd how the poltical right have made him out to be this bogey man.

Do you really not recognised that if you massively cut police budgets and numbers that you are going to get an increase in crime? And what's the alternative? Shaun Bailey? Please.

You should be furious at the Tory government, not him.

He makes absolutely no attempts to solve the issues. That’s what you’re missing here. He hasn’t even bothered to speak out about it. Much rather preach about climate change than talking about the daily stabbings.

You’re defending the indefensible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending