The Student Room Group

Can I catch up on missed work in 7 days

I havent done work in quarantine and im going into yr 10 on the 9th. can i do lots of work starting from today at like 6:00pm to 8th of september and catch up on everything ive missed? im in top set too

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Han05S
I havent done work in quarantine and im going into yr 10 on the 9th. can i do lots of work starting from today at like 6:00pm to 8th of september and catch up on everything ive missed? im in top set too

Is there a reason why you think you can't?

Rather than waiting for someone to tell you if you can or cannot do something, just get on and do it.
Yes but I would recommending working as fast and efficiently in the next few days!
Reply 3
Original post by AcseI
Is there a reason why you think you can't?

Rather than waiting for someone to tell you if you can or cannot do something, just get on and do it.

Because i feel like i wont be able to catch up
Original post by Han05S

"Catching up on all the work" is quite an open and difficult goal. There's a risk that if you set this goal for yourself, you'll struggle to build up the motivation to even start the work everyday. I know that personally, if I set a really big goal like that, I end up not starting it at all. That may not be what you're like at all, and in that case, go ahead.

However, what might be a more realistic goal would be to select a few subjects you consider the most essential and focus on those. Then, set a reasonable goal of how many hours you will spend a day doing work. Perhaps 3-4 hours per day is realistic. You can still do extra if you get in the swing of things, but having a realistic goal will make you more likely to achieve it.

At this point, even if you don't catch-up before school starts again, you're still likely to have time to continue catching up during the school year, but you don't want to burn yourself out before the school year has even started. You won't be the only person who's not done any work, but at the same time, if you'd like to continue being a high achieving students, it's going to be important that you consistently do a bit of extra work til you've caught up.
Original post by Han05S
Because i feel like i wont be able to catch up

Then it sounds like you've already made the decision, and whatever we tell you won't matter.

It's unclear how much work you have missed, but at some point you'll need to start doing it. It doesn't necessarily matter if you haven't caught up with everything by the time you start Year 10, it matters if you know it when the exams come around. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll catch up. The longer you leave it, the more it'll build up and the harder it'll be to catch up.
Step 1: block TSR
Reply 7
Original post by bluebeetle
"Catching up on all the work" is quite an open and difficult goal. There's a risk that if you set this goal for yourself, you'll struggle to build up the motivation to even start the work everyday. I know that personally, if I set a really big goal like that, I end up not starting it at all. That may not be what you're like at all, and in that case, go ahead.

However, what might be a more realistic goal would be to select a few subjects you consider the most essential and focus on those. Then, set a reasonable goal of how many hours you will spend a day doing work. Perhaps 3-4 hours per day is realistic. You can still do extra if you get in the swing of things, but having a realistic goal will make you more likely to achieve it.

At this point, even if you don't catch-up before school starts again, you're still likely to have time to continue catching up during the school year, but you don't want to burn yourself out before the school year has even started. You won't be the only person who's not done any work, but at the same time, if you'd like to continue being a high achieving students, it's going to be important that you consistently do a bit of extra work til you've caught up.

SO if i dont catch up soon i will be moved sets down?
Reply 8
Original post by ZR246
Step 1: block TSR

why
Original post by Han05S
SO if i dont catch up soon i will be moved sets down?

Nobody knows the answer to that except your teachers.

My biggest piece of advice would be that now you've had some advice, that you get started on doing the work rather than lingering on TSR. Talking about doing the work can often be the biggest barrier to actually doing the work. Just pick a subject, perhaps one you like, go and find the work that was set during lockdown for that subject and have a look through it. Pick a piece of work that looks achievable within an hour or two, and have a go at doing that today. You'll feel miles better once you've just done that, and no TSR thread will provide you the same level of reassurance as actually going and doing a bit of the work.
Reply 10
Nobody knows the answer to that except your teachers.

My biggest piece of advice would be that now you've had some advice, that you get started on doing the work rather than lingering on TSR. Talking about doing the work can often be the biggest barrier to actually doing the work. Just pick a subject, perhaps one you like, go and find the work that was set during lockdown for that subject and have a look through it. Pick a piece of work that looks achievable within an hour or two, and have a go at doing that today. You'll feel miles better once you've just done that, and no TSR thread will provide you the same level of reassurance as actually going and doing a bit of the work.

How do you revise or learn because im not going to use the work my teachers set but CGP because as our school gave them to us. Idk how to revise i have no flash cards btw. Im going to start on doing science today hopefully
Original post by Han05S
How do you revise or learn because im not going to use the work my teachers set but CGP because as our school gave them to us. Idk how to revise i have no flash cards btw. Im going to start on doing science today hopefully

I would recommend using sceneca learning, specific websites e.g. my maths , method maths and mathwatch for maths , bullet pointing previous work you have done to make it easier to read and instead of just reading over your notes actively revise. Make a quiz on them , learn the formulas e.t.c as this will so much more beneficial then just reading it. I would also turn off all devices whilst doing this as it will allow you to fully concentrate.
Reply 12
Original post by Cheesecake04
I would recommend using sceneca learning, specific websites e.g. my maths , method maths and mathwatch for maths , bullet pointing previous work you have done to make it easier to read and instead of just reading over your notes actively revise. Make a quiz on them , learn the formulas e.t.c as this will so much more beneficial then just reading it. I would also turn off all devices whilst doing this as it will allow you to fully concentrate.

Thank you so much this is very helpful!
Original post by Han05S
Thank you so much this is very helpful!

You are very welcome!
Whatever you do, don’t let it be staying up till 6am sleeping for 5 hours and then going to work again. It works but absolutely sucks
Original post by Han05S
why

Because you're wasting your valuable time here io studying :frown:
Original post by Han05S

depends how much will you got how much you got and how fast you work
Original post by Han05S

Sorry, why are you not using the work your teachers have set? If you want to catch up to where the school expects you to be, that is exactly the work you should be looking at and doing!
Reply 18
Original post by Oófie
Whatever you do, don’t let it be staying up till 6am sleeping for 5 hours and then going to work again. It works but absolutely sucks

I cant get my self to start i tried doing maths but finished after 5 minutes.. nothing is going through my head. im probably starting tmrw hopefully i actually do
Reply 19
Sorry, why are you not using the work your teachers have set? If you want to catch up to where the school expects you to be, that is exactly the work you should be looking at and doing!

i dont have access to internet 24/7

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending