The Student Room Group

Access course choice before studying in September 2021

So I didn't quite achieve the grades I wanted to go straight onto becoming a Nurse at university, so I am taking 2 years out. The first year I used to gain some experience and things to boost my personal statement and CV for the future. This second year I am taking to study an access course to boost my points to allow me to continue my studies at university as I was suggested by someone from a University admissions. I have now found an online one to allow me to also work around my studies (so I can save at least some money before going onto university), but this company has two courses that are very very similar and I am not sure which one I should be doing? I was suggested on aimed towards health professions.

One of them is titled: "Online Access to Higher Education Diplomas for Nursing (Health Professions)"

The other is titled: "Online Access to Higher Education Diplomas for Nursing (Nursing and Midwifery)"

They are ver y similar in terms of what is studied, however, the nursing and midwifery one has less biology and psychology, but does contain a section about health and social care. The health professions one has a lot more about biology and psychology, but nothing to do with health and social care. I am therefore wondering what other people would reccommend I take or do about this situation. Thank you
Original post by Liv141119
So I didn't quite achieve the grades I wanted to go straight onto becoming a Nurse at university, so I am taking 2 years out. The first year I used to gain some experience and things to boost my personal statement and CV for the future. This second year I am taking to study an access course to boost my points to allow me to continue my studies at university as I was suggested by someone from a University admissions. I have now found an online one to allow me to also work around my studies (so I can save at least some money before going onto university), but this company has two courses that are very very similar and I am not sure which one I should be doing? I was suggested on aimed towards health professions.

One of them is titled: "Online Access to Higher Education Diplomas for Nursing (Health Professions)"

The other is titled: "Online Access to Higher Education Diplomas for Nursing (Nursing and Midwifery)"

They are ver y similar in terms of what is studied, however, the nursing and midwifery one has less biology and psychology, but does contain a section about health and social care. The health professions one has a lot more about biology and psychology, but nothing to do with health and social care. I am therefore wondering what other people would reccommend I take or do about this situation. Thank you

As long as they are both QAA verified, then the one you are most interested in and can get the best grades. I would say the second one sounds easier unless you like science.

Be aware online courses require you to be disciplined and organised. They arent for everyone. You lack classmates and the tutor. If you do online they normally let you do them over a longer period. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of online v brick.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
As long as they are both QAA verified, then the one you are most interested in and can get the best grades. I would say the second one sounds easier unless you like science.

Be aware online courses require you to be disciplined and organised. They arent for everyone. You lack classmates and the tutor. If you do online they normally let you do them over a longer period. Make sure you understand the pros and cons of online v brick.

Thank you for this. I have double-checked and it is QAA verified. I am a very disciplined and organised person, I didn't do well at A levels due to huge amounts of anxiety and not receiving help at all with it. This online course does give me access to a tutor thank goodness which I am grateful for. This is a course that allows me to set my own deadlines, but they recommend that is if I want to start studying in September (2021), they suggest to aim for a June/July assessment, so about a year-long course.
Thank you for this. I have double-checked and it is QAA verified. I am a very disciplined and organised person, I didn't do well at A levels due to huge amounts of anxiety and not receiving help at all with it. This online course does give me access to a tutor thank goodness which I am grateful for. This is a course that allows me to set my own deadlines, but they recommend that is if I want to start studying in September (2021), they suggest to aim for a June/July assessment, so about a year-long course.

I would start before.
You also need to treat your anxiety as a project in itself.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
I would start before.
You also need to treat your anxiety as a project in itself.

Start what before??
I am in the process of sorting out some sessions with someone about my anxiety, a lot of it is to do with exams (that's when it is really bad), but also shows up in other ways too.
Start what before??
I am in the process of sorting out some sessions with someone about my anxiety, a lot of it is to do with exams (that's when it is really bad), but also shows up in other ways too.

Practice and routine will be best for exams. I suggest some cbt.
You should tlak to your provider and see at what stage you can get the materials and when you have to sit.
In that way you could perhaps get them 6 months early and pace yourself more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending