The Student Room Group

Science / biology Equivalency tests

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jojo_ford
Yea I didn’t have much time left either so pretty happy it wasn’t out of 126!!

Same here :biggrin:
Original post by AneesaA1
Hi Guys! So I just had my exam and I noticed that on their website it says the exam is out of 126 marks, but when I counted the marks on this exam online it was like 86 or something, I wonder why.

Original post by jojo_ford
Yea I didn’t have much time left either so pretty happy it wasn’t out of 126!!

Has anyone recurved their results ? I’m still waiting
Original post by Anagarda
Has anyone recurved their results ? I’m still waiting

No! I’m still waiting too. I took my exam on the 11th August, when did you take yours?
Original post by Cyprus81
No! I’m still waiting too. I took my exam on the 11th August, when did you take yours?

On Friday. I telephoned
Original post by Anagarda
On Friday. I telephoned

How did you get on? I took my exam on Tuesday. Do you know how long I am expected to wait?
Original post by NatashaSmall
How did you get on? I took my exam on Tuesday. Do you know how long I am expected to wait?

Equivalencytesting.com at least 2 weeks. You can pay £25 for a fast result but 8 had to telephone 3 days on a row to request mine
Thanks so much for this information, Edward. I have email Equivalency Testing a few times and heard nothing back. I want to sit my Biology exam next week and need to ensure I have everything set up properly. Just a few more questions....Is the paper on the screen - do you type in your answers? I want to take the afternoon exam. What time do you need to be ready to log on and what time does the exam start? Thanks very much!
Reply 87
Original post by Edward0
Yes, I did. They have timetables updated every week or so. By the way, just got the results from my Equivalency Testing exam. I scored 94%!! Highest mark I've ever got.

Again, I was averaging 75% on the Pearson tests. So I would use that as the benchmark to work towards and you should have no problem with the equivalency test.

If you have any questions let me know.

Congratulations on achieving a94%

I wanted to ask did you do biology or combined?
Reply 88
Original post by CCShires
Thanks so much for this information, Edward. I have email Equivalency Testing a few times and heard nothing back. I want to sit my Biology exam next week and need to ensure I have everything set up properly. Just a few more questions....Is the paper on the screen - do you type in your answers? I want to take the afternoon exam. What time do you need to be ready to log on and what time does the exam start? Thanks very much!

Hey,

What kind of test papers have you been doing to revise? and What kind of revision materials have you been using?

Thanks
Hi, I've already started my PGCE and have until the 30th of November to get my science equivalency. I just got my maths equivalency this week and that took me about 6months as the last time I did maths was decades ago and I had to learn maths first, not revise it. so, I'm really nervous about science. On top of that I have all the course work to do plus my school placement. Oh and I have a seven year old too! Any tips on the test and what I should cover would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark
Original post by marckwriter
Hi, I've already started my PGCE and have until the 30th of November to get my science equivalency. I just got my maths equivalency this week and that took me about 6months as the last time I did maths was decades ago and I had to learn maths first, not revise it. so, I'm really nervous about science. On top of that I have all the course work to do plus my school placement. Oh and I have a seven year old too! Any tips on the test and what I should cover would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mark

I am in the exact similar situation like you,did English and Maths,but haven't got results even after 27 working days! I have to do Biology ASAP.I am going to lose my money if ET doesn't respond and I have children as well.
Original post by nikimenon
I am in the exact similar situation like you,did English and Maths,but haven't got results even after 27 working days! I have to do Biology ASAP.I am going to lose my money if ET doesn't respond and I have children as well.

I'm going to be in a really bad financial situation if I don't get science. The pressure is hard enough doing course work! Where are you studying?
I'm doing a PGCE this year and was only told last week that I had until the end of Nov to pass my Science. Fortunately, my results and certificate have now arrived (after four weeks!). I have subsequently found out that A Star Equivalency offer a 24-48 hour results guarantee service for an extra fee. Probably a good idea to use them for your next exam. Good luck!
Original post by Mehv98
Hey,

What kind of test papers have you been doing to revise? What kind of revision materials have you been using?

Thanks

I used the CGP and Edexcel/Pearson revision books. Good luck!
Reply 94
I used the CGP and Edexcel/Pearson revision books. Good luck!

Thank you so much.

Did you do equivalency testing or A star?
I'm doing a PGCE this year and was only told last week that I had until the end of Nov to pass my Science. Fortunately, my results and certificate have now arrived (after four weeks!). I have subsequently found out that A Star Equivalency offer a 24-48 hour results guarantee service for an extra fee. Probably a good idea to use them for your next exam. Good luck!

My provider uses only Equivalency exam unfortunately.For English,IELTS was also an option.But before that,I booked my test with equivalency and paid money,so went with them.My fellow trainee did IELTS who didn't get required score,tried again passed second time within 2 weeks.Here I am who did Equivalency exam back in August and still awaiting result.
Original post by nikimenon
South Birmingham SCITT ,course work + PGCE assignment, I am really struggling! On top if it,results haven't come and 1 more equivalency exam to do.I was not aware that I had to do equivalency, they let me know in July only.

When I'm with my son it is impossible to do any work. I feel guilty if I work and don't spend my time with him. I'm really struggling too. Waking up really early, trying not to feel depressed. I changed my life to do this, to have a better life, make a difference but obstacles like science keep getting in the way. The pressure is incredible! And the thing is -they need teachers! But make it so difficult to become one. Good luck
Reply 97
Hello all. I also have to take the Higher Biology equivalency test. I bought the materials and did all of the homeworks but it’s taking quite a while for most of the concepts to sink in. I fell like there is so much terminology to learn. I was hoping to spend a few more weeks studying and take the test at the end of next month.

So far I have just studied the equivalency materials/homeworks (and corrections/additional/follow up materials), along with a few freescience videos on Youtube. From tomorrow, I am going to start piling into as many exam questions as I can from the Bitesize website.

Just wondering if anyone did it lately? How did you find it? Is it enough to mainly use the materials/homeworks+supplementary materials provided by equivalencytesting.com?
Reply 98
Original post by Kalbi
Hello all. I also have to take the Higher Biology equivalency test. I bought the materials and did all of the homeworks but it’s taking quite a while for most of the concepts to sink in. I fell like there is so much terminology to learn. I was hoping to spend a few more weeks studying and take the test at the end of next month.

So far I have just studied the equivalency materials/homeworks (and corrections/additional/follow up materials), along with a few freescience videos on Youtube. From tomorrow, I am going to start piling into as many exam questions as I can from the Bitesize website.

Just wondering if anyone did it lately? How did you find it? Is it enough to mainly use the materials/homeworks+supplementary materials provided by equivalencytesting.com?

Hey,

I did mine back in December, and if you are doing it with A star equivalency, then they may give you one of the past papers; at least that's what they gave me.

I would recommend going over the past papers online through the Edexcel website and do all of them. For me, I find it better to learn from past papers due to learning from the questions you've got wrong and better understanding of the question.

One thing I would say, sometimes we may feel as if we shouldn't do the old past papers from 2010 and older but in fact do them because, when I did my exam, one of those papers was my exam paper.

If I didn't do the older exam papers, then I don't think I would've passed, to be honest.

I hope this helps and Good Luck.
Reply 99
Hello there.

I recently took the exam and scored an A, however trust me Biology/Science is not a strength of mine. So, if I can do it, then the average person can also do it. The exam itself, I found long (or was it that I was typing too much?) and there were definitely tricky bits, but overall if you studied all of the topics, I think everyone on here can get at least 55%.

I'd certainly recommend that you buy the course materials if you can afford it, and complete all of their homeworks for each of the units, as you are effectively getting tutored/good feedback/excellent exam prep along the way. Either way, then as many have said on here before, the AQA GCSE Biology book is absolutely perfect for this course. It also has plenty of practice exam questions contained in the book. That along with the bbc bitesize website and the series of freesciencelessons on youtube by a bloke in a suit, are simply amazing. I'd recommend watching as many of these videos as possible and making notes as you go along. These certainly stood me in good stead.

Overall, I was happy enough with the company ET, the process was fairly low-stress and smooth in terms of applying to take the exam, taking the exam and receiving the result.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending