The Student Room Group

Teacher or Solicitor

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by yhuss98
Yeah but Law is a VERY saturated field like very hard to break through if you dont have a strong experience background, strong degree from a good uni & excellent academic background! Unlike with teaching, it is fairly okay. I think my view on teaching is only positive because My teachers had success stories etc. they seemed happy in life with good cars and always had the latest phones and designer clothes!
But maybe, my experience wont be so positive if I dont get put in such a supportive school like my old one

I think you should go for it with teaching, it sounds like you want to do it! The positives certainly outweigh the negatives for me.
Reply 61
Original post by mgi
Yes, you are probably right. Go with your gut feeling! It may be a completely different feeling to mine and who is to say that you are not going to be proved correct!

Yeah I’m leaning to do it, are there any prospects beyond a bioscience Degree - something other than teaching and a sciencey job?
And yes, I will definitely do the PGCE and hopefully find a supportive school to work in that promotes good life and work balance!! Thank you
I want to teach, ideally, KS3 science and then Ks4 biology
Reply 62
Original post by yhuss98
Yeah I’m leaning to do it, are there any prospects beyond a bioscience Degree - something other than teaching and a sciencey job?
And yes, I will definitely do the PGCE and hopefully find a supportive school to work in that promotes good life and work balance!! Thank you
I want to teach, ideally, KS3 science and then Ks4 biology

Yes, this is what i did up to A level. It is really important that you find a good supportive school with an excellent management team and mainly motivated students.
And regardless of this you need to give the students a good deal while making sure that you look after your own work -life balance, otherwise stress will overtake you. Try to avoid taking work home!
Reply 63
Original post by mgi
Yes, this is what i did up to A level. It is really important that you find a good supportive school with an excellent management team and mainly motivated students.
And regardless of this you need to give the students a good deal while making sure that you look after your own work -life balance, otherwise stress will overtake you. Try to avoid taking work home!

Yeah I’m hoping I can go back to my old secondary school as I know how it works properly and know what I’ll be getting myself into. I’m prepared for some stress just like any other job but if it proves too much i’ll just leave. Could you give me some jobs i can get with a bioscience Degree?
Reply 64
Original post by yhuss98
Yeah I’m hoping I can go back to my old secondary school as I know how it works properly and know what I’ll be getting myself into. I’m prepared for some stress just like any other job but if it proves too much i’ll just leave. Could you give me some jobs i can get with a bioscience Degree?

Quite a number of choices within science. Sometimes peole go into other fields such as finance or computing as well.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology
Original post by mgi
It actually isn't a much longer harder process tbh. A uni graduate can become a solicitor in 2 years.
After graduation one would still have to undergo 2 more years of training to be fully registered as a qualified teacher.
And why do you think that law is more competitive than teaching? better salaries for sure and better status!

I would say that it is a lot harder to become a solicitor than a teacher actually. You can become a teacher with a basic degree at a lower ranked university which is probably only 2 or 3 days a week and you barely even need to understand high school maths. There are often free teaching posts in my region because many people realise that it is not what they want to do.

A law degree is much harder and the majority of people that study it will never go on to become a solicitor. After the law degree you have to do extra qualifications (I saw someone on here mention that one they knew had to do LLB, LLM and a Phd ON TOP of the degree before they got a job as a solicitor). Getting a job is much more competitive because so many people have the qualifications.
Reply 66
Original post by yhuss98

I did biochem and my course mates who wanted to stick with practical science went into either academic research and did a PhD or in industry like astra zeneca or covance. Others did masters degrees or further courses to become teachers, doctors, nurses, physiotherapist, clinical biochemists working in hospitals, genetic counsellors, audiologists. Some went straight into science related jobs at museums, zoos and the food industry. Some did Science grad schemes with the Wellcome trust or Civil service, others moved away from science and did grad schemes open to all degrees. Everyone I'm still in touch with from my course is doing a graduate job that they couldn't have done without the degree anyway!
Original post by yhuss98
Tbh I would love to teach ideally
Having my own classroom and teach them but there’s all these unnecessary things you have to do
Like I have no issue with planning and marking
But I have issues with going to pointless meetings and have expectations from teachers to run afterschool clubs if you have alot on your plate already
I personally think it depends on the school?

I dont have any other alternative careers atm, but I need to decide before applying this year For uni

You don’t want to go teaching because of unnecessary paperwork and meetings? Welcome to law. I am a solicitor and my holiday official started at 6pm of Friday but I worked until 12 then against until 10am - 6pm on Saturday and I may still be taking calls this week. And it’s September and my first holiday of the year. I am also going in next Monday because I have unnecessary meetings and paperwork etc to do even though I did have that day off too.

That being said, no career let’s you away from the economic slavery completely. Bosses nowadays expect you to live and breathe work. The only way to get good pay and conditions is to do something in demand where there is a lack of supply or work an industry with trade unions.

Teaching is full of bs. Office politics, paperwork, crappy parents, complaints about crap and lots and lots of meetings. And this is after school and during your holidays. But none of my teaching friends work the hours that my lawyer friends do. None of them have answered the phone to a student/parent at 1am. I have answered clients at 1am. I have answered the phone in the middle of the night and worked my whole weekend to help a client avoid a timebar (a deadline after which they cannot bring a claim) but then had a complaint made against me because I needed to spend time on my other clients after everything was in sorted and apparently that’s not acceptable. Rolling eyes.

Now some schools are more laid back. They finish 10 mins after the kids and do not run any out of hours activities. However, really helping kids and your local community is not done by just turning up and doing your standard hours. The best teachers are those who have a passion and will stay late to help out.
Reply 68
^^^^ to all Above i’m unsure if this will notify you all. I think I’ll rather do bioscience degree, that way I can still enter law as you have to pass the SQE exams to be a solicitor now. I’d rather have the option of teaching sciences open to me, personally, I think those hours (in a good/supportive school that considers you as a human) will suit me better. And thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to actually reply to my concerns! When I think about the concept of teaching.. it excites me! Right? That’s how a job should feel. But when I think of solicitor, I think of long dreary hours with no ‘fun’
Teens can be hard work but they’re also interesting at the same time - so I think I’d prefer teaching as a career

And it’s great to hear a bioscience degree does lead to other careers too! This makes me more confident in pursuing a degree.
Started typing before reading your last comment but I want to say Good Choice.

I feel workload wise and the company/school you work for is the same in both professions. You need to decide on the opportunities both can give being a Solicitor gives vs a Teacher.

Law Degree then LPC then a law firm who needs to hire you as a trainee solicitor or apprenticeship style law qualification are two options to become a Solicitor its not as easy as becoming a teacher qualification wise it's very competitive (I know because I have family who are qualified solicitors).

Teacher- undergrad degree in any subject or specific teaching degree, PGCE or there's an option if you've been working x amount of years these teacher training providers let you join the course without a degree but that's only to become an early years teacher...you can do PGCE after your undergrad whenever...

From my experience I highly recommend you speak to your careers advisor if you have one at college. Look into ALL the other degrees or apprenticeships you can do. Don't settle for law or teaching just yet unless you have done all the research, looks like you have by thinking of bioscience..
Reply 70
Original post by FingersXedAgain
You don’t want to go teaching because of unnecessary paperwork and meetings? Welcome to law. I am a solicitor and my holiday official started at 6pm of Friday but I worked until 12 then against until 10am - 6pm on Saturday and I may still be taking calls this week. And it’s September and my first holiday of the year. I am also going in next Monday because I have unnecessary meetings and paperwork etc to do even though I did have that day off too.

That being said, no career let’s you away from the economic slavery completely. Bosses nowadays expect you to live and breathe work. The only way to get good pay and conditions is to do something in demand where there is a lack of supply or work an industry with trade unions.

Teaching is full of bs. Office politics, paperwork, crappy parents, complaints about crap and lots and lots of meetings. And this is after school and during your holidays. But none of my teaching friends work the hours that my lawyer friends do. None of them have answered the phone to a student/parent at 1am. I have answered clients at 1am. I have answered the phone in the middle of the night and worked my whole weekend to help a client avoid a timebar (a deadline after which they cannot bring a claim) but then had a complaint made against me because I needed to spend time on my other clients after everything was in sorted and apparently that’s not acceptable. Rolling eyes.

Now some schools are more laid back. They finish 10 mins after the kids and do not run any out of hours activities. However, really helping kids and your local community is not done by just turning up and doing your standard hours. The best teachers are those who have a passion and will stay late to help out.

What about the ridiculous salaries of teachers as well? Do solicitors get ridiculous salaries? i dont think so.
Original post by mgi
What about the ridiculous salaries of teachers as well? Do solicitors get ridiculous salaries? i dont think so.

The average solicitor earns £35k. Most solicitors including myself have taken a pay cut of 20% so the average solicitor will earn £28k. I think that is roughly as much as your average teacher. Either way both jobs are more work that their pay would indicate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Ash1234
Started typing before reading your last comment but I want to say Good Choice.

I feel workload wise and the company/school you work for is the same in both professions. You need to decide on the opportunities both can give being a Solicitor gives vs a Teacher.

Law Degree then LPC then a law firm who needs to hire you as a trainee solicitor or apprenticeship style law qualification are two options to become a Solicitor its not as easy as becoming a teacher qualification wise it's very competitive (I know because I have family who are qualified solicitors).

Teacher- undergrad degree in any subject or specific teaching degree, PGCE or there's an option if you've been working x amount of years these teacher training providers let you join the course without a degree but that's only to become an early years teacher...you can do PGCE after your undergrad whenever...

From my experience I highly recommend you speak to your careers advisor if you have one at college. Look into ALL the other degrees or apprenticeships you can do. Don't settle for law or teaching just yet unless you have done all the research, looks like you have by thinking of bioscience..

Tbh I dont think I need a careers advisor besides they’re always full and in Y13 I wont have the chance to speak to them for obvious reasons
And why should I ask them, they havent had experience of teacher or being a solicitor?
But people on here are in/have worked in these professions,
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by yhuss98
Tbh I dont think I need a careers advisor besides they’re always full and in Y13 I wont have the chance to speak to them for obvious reasons
And why should I ask them, they havent had experience of teacher or being a solicitor?
But people on here are in/have worked in these professions, & they can tell me their experiences
Imo, law seems too much off a big ask, getting tonnes of work experience whilst in a degree, and all of this BS, which honestly I cant be asked for
And solicitor, yes it is a VERY good title to have, but I don’t think that I can see myself being normal/happy in there in such a job.
Whereas as with teaching, There’s more human to human contact.
I feel like ppl who decide to pursue law, are a certain type of person - money motivated and dont mind if their worklife balance suffers as a result of that
I mean if teaching somehow moulds into a 7:30-6pm job, and the salary isnt too bad - I would love to embark on that rather than law
Then again if teaching fails, Having a bioscience degree will help me in the future of getting a graduate job outside of teaching/sciencey jobs
Whereas with law i cant enter teaching as it isnt a PGCEable subject

Sounds like you have thought everything out. Are you applying to uni for next year or trying to get a place via clearing?
Reply 74
Original post by yhuss98
I’m Really stuck
Hearing horror stories etc. I dont know what to do
Should I pursue teaching
I’m inclining to teaching but all these horror stories are scaring me
From my understanding as long as u enter a supportive school then the workload etc. will all reduce
Please help
Im stressing out

FLIP A COIN, but dont look at the answer and the thing you hope to see is the choice u should pick!
Reply 75
Original post by FingersXedAgain
Sounds like you have thought everything out. Are you applying to uni for next year or trying to get a place via clearing?

I finished Y12 , gonna start Y13 this sept! Gonna be applying soon I think by Jan 2021 it all should be done!
Reply 76
Original post by Tello
FLIP A COIN, but dont look at the answer and the thing you hope to see is the choice u should pick!

If only life decisions were as easy as this ha
Reply 77
Original post by yhuss98
If only life decisions were as easy as this ha

Ah, what I mean is:
assign both choices to either heads or tails to a coin and flip the coin, but dont see what the answer is and the choice you want to see appear on the coin deep down, like the choice you really wanna do pop up in your head, chose that and dont look at the answear on the coin! To see what u actually wanna do. ermmm I hope u see what i mean.
Also have a watch of this video it may help : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8cBTK45Uqw
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Tello
Ah, what I mean is:
assign both choices to either heads or tails to a coin and flip the coin, but dont see what the answer is and the choice you want to see appear on the coin deep down, like the choice you really wanna do pop up in your head, chose that and dont look at the answear on the coin! To see what u actually wanna do. ermmm I hope u see what i mean.
Also have a watch of this video it may help : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8cBTK45Uqw

Oh i get it, I tried it and it pops in my mind of wanting to be a teacher funnily enough! Thank you. I’ll just have to fish around for the right school I guess for a while.. but It’ll be worthit in the end
Reply 79
Original post by yhuss98
Oh i get it, I tried it and it pops in my mind of wanting to be a teacher funnily enough! Thank you. I’ll just have to fish around for the right school I guess for a while.. but It’ll be worthit in the end

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending