The Student Room Group

Teacher or Solicitor

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Tello
Best of luck!

Thanks could i ask u where you’re at in you career / education?
Reply 81
Original post by yhuss98
Thanks could i ask u where you’re at in you career / education?

I was working in the past for a few years, but have now decided to go back to college to study something I was more passionate about :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Tello
I was working in the past for a few years, but have now decided to go back to college to study something I was more passionate about :smile:

Could I ask what this was/ and what you’re doing now?
And that is amazing! Go chase those dreams like the vid say the biggest fear one can have is regret!
Original post by yhuss98
I’m Really stuck
Hearing horror stories etc. I dont know what to do
Should I pursue teaching
I’m inclining to teaching but all these horror stories are scaring me
From my understanding as long as u enter a supportive school then the workload etc. will all reduce
Please help
Im stressing out

Morning.

You definitely do not need to stress out. Teaching is like any job. There will be a good and bad schools and people you love working with and people you hate, just like any company. However, you should get the relevant support, especially in your training and NQT year, to help you gain the skills and experience needed. You'll quickly find you feet and my biggest advice is to find the teachers that have the work life balance down to a tee and see what they do in order to keep on top of everything.

I certainly did when i was teaching. It's all about prioritizing and understanding you can't teach outstanding lessons all the time, as well as working well as a department. This is crucial.

You'll be fine.
Reply 84
Original post by FingersXedAgain
The average solicitor earns £35k. Most solicitors including myself have taken a pay cut of 20% so the average solicitor will earn £28k. I think that is roughly as much as your average teacher. Either way both jobs are more work that their pay would indicate.

These figures are simply not true for fully quslified solicitors. And the 20% cut is Covid-19 related i presume.
Working in London the average is between 52k-100k. Recently qualified London teachers don't even get close to these figures.
There is no comparison at all between lawyers and recently qualified teachers. I am not talking about trainees in either career.
Original post by mgi
These figures are simply not true for fully quslified solicitors. And the 20% cut is Covid-19 related i presume.
Working in London the average is between 52k-100k. Recently qualified London teachers don't even get close to these figures.
There is no comparison at all between lawyers and recently qualified teachers. I am not talking about trainees in either career.

My figures are correct. Yes in London you earn more but there are lot of lawyers (outside of London) who earn less. Hence the average figure.
Reply 86
Original post by FingersXedAgain
My figures are correct. Yes in London you earn more but there are lot of lawyers (outside of London) who earn less. Hence the average figure.

I was referring to London where recently qualified solicitors earn significantly more than any recently qualified teacher in London. Recently qualified Commercial lawyere may even earn literally double!
Reply 87
Original post by Get into Teaching
Morning.

You definitely do not need to stress out. Teaching is like any job. There will be a good and bad schools and people you love working with and people you hate, just like any company. However, you should get the relevant support, especially in your training and NQT year, to help you gain the skills and experience needed. You'll quickly find you feet and my biggest advice is to find the teachers that have the work life balance down to a tee and see what they do in order to keep on top of everything.

I certainly did when i was teaching. It's all about prioritizing and understanding you can't teach outstanding lessons all the time, as well as working well as a department. This is crucial.

You'll be fine.

Interesting that you are no longer a teacher now though! :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by L-K

Indeed. lol.
Reply 89
Original post by mgi
I was referring to London where recently qualified solicitors earn significantly more than any recently qualified teacher in London. Recently qualified Commercial lawyere may even earn literally double!

Yeah but getting a teacher position in London is way easier than being a solicitor in London
Law is a long journey to get in a good paying firm, in London
Reply 90
Original post by L-K

So why do you think they left then lol ha
Reply 91
Original post by yhuss98
So why do you think they left then lol ha

It's usually workload related!
There are many other jobs out there with similarly crazy workloads, but teaching often gives the illusion of having a light workload, so can be an unexpected shock!
Reply 92
Original post by L-K
It's usually workload related!
There are many other jobs out there with similarly crazy workloads, but teaching often gives the illusion of having a light workload, so can be an unexpected shock!

Yeah true but i mean if it is from 7:30 am to 6 pm and a few hrs over the weekend (lets say 2hr in the morning on Sat and Sun) then why would it be too bad?
I mean I would love that to be the case for me
I’ve read some horrifying workloads here, one being from 7:30am till like 10 pm !
Reply 93
Original post by yhuss98
Yeah true but i mean if it is from 7:30 am to 6 pm and a few hrs over the weekend (lets say 2hr in the morning on Sat and Sun) then why would it be too bad?
I mean I would love that to be the case for me
I’ve read some horrifying workloads here, one being from 7:30am till like 10 pm !

You'll have to become and teacher and you will find out!
Reply 94
Original post by L-K
You'll have to become and teacher and you will find out!

Yeah but i dont want to waste 36k then realising I don’t want to do it because I have a horrifying work load
But you are right, the best way to find out is to go hands in!
Just keep me in your prayers 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Reply 95
Original post by yhuss98
Yeah but i dont want to waste 36k then realising I don’t want to do it because I have a horrifying work load
But you are right, the best way to find out is to go hands in!
Just keep me in your prayers 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Message some teachers/schools after coronavirus and ask if you can do some shadowing. It might help you get an idea of what we do during the day.
Where are you based?
Reply 96
Original post by L-K
Message some teachers/schools after coronavirus and ask if you can do some shadowing. It might help you get an idea of what we do during the day.
Where are you based?

Northampton! I would message but this wont be doable in year 13!
I am a teacher and have only had positive experiences. during my pgce I did 1-2 hours of work in the evenings and maybe 1-2 hours over the weekend too. In my NQT year I started off working maybe 7.30-5 but gradually that changed to 7.30-4. I didn't take any work home at all through my NQT year. now I leave at 3pm but do my work at home for maybe 1 hour and still get to work at 7.30.

I feel very supported and wouldn't change my job for the world
Reply 98
Original post by jedygety
I am a teacher and have only had positive experiences. during my pgce I did 1-2 hours of work in the evenings and maybe 1-2 hours over the weekend too. In my NQT year I started off working maybe 7.30-5 but gradually that changed to 7.30-4. I didn't take any work home at all through my NQT year. now I leave at 3pm but do my work at home for maybe 1 hour and still get to work at 7.30.

I feel very supported and wouldn't change my job for the world

Massive congratulations!!!!
What subject do you teach? And are you working at an academy / high school/primary?
Original post by yhuss98
Massive congratulations!!!!
What subject do you teach? And are you working at an academy / high school/primary?

I teach maths, which I guess is part of the reason why I don't have to work so much outside school hours as the marking is very light. I am at an academy.

I would say that as long as you find the right school you could absolutely have a good work life balance, and you will get the added benefit of feeling passionate about your job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending