The Student Room Group

how good do u hv to be at GCSE maths to take Furthermaths?

ok so im going into yr 12 on Thursday and now I'm second-guessing my ability to do maths at AS. Im only doing the AS and then dropping it.
I got a 9 in my GCSE for maths. However, i didn't do amazingly in the UKMT and stuff (but i didn't practice). so I'm not sure if I'm good enough to do it at a-level.

also so the ppl in my school are soo smart and soo good at maths i feel like I'm not good enough to get an A at AS. The ppl doing FM got like
a gold in UKMT without any practice apparently...

so how good do you really have to be. Is there any way I can tell if I'm good enough haha :/

Scroll to see replies

Try to focus less on grades at GCSE level and more your own ability to work out tough problems. Maths is just as much about problem solving as it is about remembering rules and laws. Further Maths is really challenging and if you feel like you're up to it, then go ahead. Just be prepared to work hard.
Reply 2
Original post by vix.xvi
ok so im going into yr 12 on Thursday and now I'm second-guessing my ability to do maths at AS. Im only doing the AS and then dropping it.
I got a 9 in my GCSE for maths. However, i didn't do amazingly in the UKMT and stuff (but i didn't practice). so I'm not sure if I'm good enough to do it at a-level.

also so the ppl in my school are soo smart and soo good at maths i feel like I'm not good enough to get an A at AS. The ppl doing FM got like

so how good do you really have to be. Is there any way I can tell if I'm good enough haha :/

A 9 shows that you have the foundations to be able to do well in FM. It's not possible for anyone here to know how well you will do - you could find FM really hard or even really easy. Poor UKMT definitely shouldn't put you off FM and there's no need to compare yourself to the very top maths students in the country i.e. gold UKMT students.

Give further maths a go and see how you find it. Although if you definitely plan to drop it after AS then I question what the point of doing it is?
I got a 7 at GCSE, I’m currently predicted an A* in maths and I recently took on further maths and I’m predicted an A. What you got at GCSE maths doesn’t matter. My teacher was shocked when I got an A star in one of our assessments. I think it was the second one. It’s just down to hard work, nothing to do with ‘grades’
Btw I’m doing further maths AS. Personally I do not find it hard but some concepts are quite tricky to understand. With hard work you can get the grade you want.
You will be absolutely fine as the requirement at most colleges to do further maths is a 6.
Original post by vix.xvi

We ask for a 9 but will sometimes take a grade 8; just keep practising examples - this is a great website which you will find helpful:

https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main
Original post by Cheesecake04
You will be absolutely fine as the requirement at most colleges to do further maths is a 6.

Really? It's 8/9 is some schools and at least a 7 in others!.
Original post by Muttley79

It is 7 or 8 in most schools but if you are going to a public college it is a 6 I believe. I may be wrong as it changes with each school and area/location. If you want to know you can always get a school prospectus or email the college as they will let you know.
I wouldn't advise taking it tbh. You got a 9 but you didnt sit the exam this year so you dont know how you wouldve done if the exams went ahead. So thats why i personally think its risky taking further maths. But at the end of the day its up to you. Would u be motivated to study it etc? You have to decide. Hope this helps.
Original post by Muttley79

It happens. :frown:
Original post by dj_ad_1
I wouldn't advise taking it tbh. You got a 9 but you didnt sit the exam this year so you dont know how you wouldve done if the exams went ahead. So thats why i personally think its risky taking further maths. But at the end of the day its up to you. Would u be motivated to study it etc? You have to decide. Hope this helps.

im quite certain i wouldve got a 9 if i did take it
Original post by vix.xvi

You are absolutely good enough to do A level furthermaths. Your success will depend on how hard you work, and how well you overcome obstacles and set backs.

I scored 100% in my maths GCSE, and STILL I thought I wasn't smart enough. I said "Oh, those people are way smarter than me.", or "Oh I'm not good enough for that, that sounds scary.".

What I learned is that most of your success is all about belief. If you don't believe you can jump over a hurdle, you will lower the bar, and then you will never know if you could have jumped over the higher one. The first step to success is setting the bar high. Now you might be wondering "but can I set the bar high and go for furthermaths?". Yes, you can. You scored 9 in maths GCSE which shows you have the skills to do it. AS LONG AS YOU WORK HARD.

You must work hard. Furthermaths is not really any harder than regular maths A level, it's just more modules. You need to work hard, accept that sometimes you won't hit an A, be prepared to do retakes, and belief in yourself.

I did maths GCSE, maths A level, and did maths at university. I got 100% in my maths GCSE. At A level I got an A in maths and a B in furthermaths. 18 year old me would have said I got that B because I wasn't smart enough. 26 year old me knows better, and knows I didn't get it because I never believed I could get an A for one second, and so never set my bar that high and never did the necessary work to do it.

Practice, read, watch YouTube videos, do past paper questions. Then do it all over again. Then do it all over again another 100 times. Then do it again. Work hard, beleive, and you will get an A in both maths and furthermaths. Maths is a beautiful subject, that becomes more beautiful the harder you work at it and more hurdles you overcome. Goodluck.
Original post by killak434
Btw I’m doing further maths AS. Personally I do not find it hard but some concepts are quite tricky to understand. With hard work you can get the grade you want.

Original post by killak434
I got a 7 at GCSE, I’m currently predicted an A* in maths and I recently took on further maths and I’m predicted an A. What you got at GCSE maths doesn’t matter. My teacher was shocked when I got an A star in one of our assessments. I think it was the second one. It’s just down to hard work, nothing to do with ‘grades’

thanks so much...this gives me some hope:h:
Original post by vix.xvi
im quite certain i wouldve got a 9 if i did take it

Then it depends how much effort will you put into further maths, does your university degree need it etc.
Original post by vix.xvi

Go for it. Grade 9 shows that you can do it.
Original post by DavidJES
You are absolutely good enough to do A level furthermaths. Your success will depend on how hard you work, and how well you overcome obstacles and set backs.

I scored 100% in my maths GCSE, and STILL I thought I wasn't smart enough. I said "Oh, those people are way smarter than me.", or "Oh I'm not good enough for that, that sounds scary.".

What I learned is that most of your success is all about belief. If you don't believe you can jump over a hurdle, you will lower the bar, and then you will never know if you could have jumped over the higher one. The first step to success is setting the bar high. Now you might be wondering "but can I set the bar high and go for furthermaths?". Yes, you can. You scored 9 in maths GCSE which shows you have the skills to do it. AS LONG AS YOU WORK HARD.

You must work hard. Furthermaths is not really any harder than regular maths A level, it's just more modules. You need to work hard, accept that sometimes you won't hit an A, be prepared to do retakes, and belief in yourself.

I did maths GCSE, maths A level, and did maths at university. I got 100% in my maths GCSE. At A level I got an A in maths and a B in furthermaths. 18 year old me would have said I got that B because I wasn't smart enough. 26 year old me knows better, and knows I didn't get it because I never believed I could get an A for one second, and so never set my bar that high and never did the necessary work to do it.

Practice, read, watch YouTube videos, do past paper questions. Then do it all over again. Then do it all over again another 100 times. Then do it again. Work hard, beleive, and you will get an A in both maths and furthermaths. Maths is a beautiful subject, that becomes more beautiful the harder you work at it and more hurdles you overcome. Goodluck.

thanks soo much. really.

yeah i think i just need to believe in myself a bit more...
Original post by Hardy_Breloom
Try to focus less on grades at GCSE level and more your own ability to work out tough problems. Maths is just as much about problem solving as it is about remembering rules and laws. Further Maths is really challenging and if you feel like you're up to it, then go ahead. Just be prepared to work hard.

thank you
Original post by Sir Cumference
A 9 shows that you have the foundations to be able to do well in FM. It's not possible for anyone here to know how well you will do - you could find FM really hard or even really easy. Poor UKMT definitely shouldn't put you off FM and there's no need to compare yourself to the very top maths students in the country i.e. gold UKMT students.

Give further maths a go and see how you find it. Although if you definitely plan to drop it after AS then I question what the point of doing it is?

thank you!
Im taking it at AS cuz my school requires us to do 4 in year 12 and drop one in yr 13
Original post by Plücker
Go for it. Grade 9 shows that you can do it.

Quick Reply

Latest