The Student Room Group

Everyone starting Year 13 In September - How can TSR help?

Poll

New Year 13s - How can experts answer your questions best?

Hey guys,

Last week I asked you guys who you wanted to hear from most when it comes to getting the clarity you need following a pretty darn tumultuous time over the past six months.

As it stands, the government and universities were the people you wanted to hear from most.

As part of our follow up to our open letter on behalf of students, we're working hard to get you guys the answers you need as you head into this important new academic year.

To do that, we'd like to know *how* you'd like us to connect you with these important people? What's the best way for you to hear from them?
Is a live chat possible?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Is a live chat possible?

Interesting! In what sense do you mean? Like via text? Or like a zoom call where students can actually talk directly to them if they're signed up to the webinar type deal?
Original post by BlinkyBill
Interesting! In what sense do you mean? Like via text? Or like a zoom call where students can actually talk directly to them if they're signed up to the webinar type deal?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind either way.

I was thinking some users may have personal reasons for not being able to do a Zoom call, for example noisy siblings and so text would be easier for them. :dontknow:
I agree with what @5hyl33n has said. For virtual open days a lot of unis have been doing Q&As via zoom/teams/or similar where the host and panel are on video but everyone else asks their questions via text - this allows people to keep their identity private and also allows the panelists to explain their answers easier (most people find it easier to talk through their answers rather then having to type them out)...
Original post by 5hyl33n
Honestly, I wouldn't mind either way.

I was thinking some users may have personal reasons for not being able to do a Zoom call, for example noisy siblings and so text would be easier for them. :dontknow:

Yeah so true. We've done forum-based Q&As before and we actually got loads of feedback that people would prefer video (but obvs Zoom has a whole bunch of other implications) which is why we started embedding the live videos in the forum. Maybe a mixture would be good?

Original post by Becca216
I agree with what @5hyl33n has said. For virtual open days a lot of unis have been doing Q&As via zoom/teams/or similar where the host and panel are on video but everyone else asks their questions via text - this allows people to keep their identity private and also allows the panelists to explain their answers easier (most people find it easier to talk through their answers rather then having to type them out)...

Ahhhhh okay I see what you mean. This is kind of like what we do for TSR Answers? The problem is we usually get a lot of questions and usually can't get to them all.
Ahhhhh okay I see what you mean. This is kind of like what we do for TSR Answers? The problem is we usually get a lot of questions and usually can't get to them all.

That's true :s-smilie:.

Generally, we seem to have common questions though. I guess if a thread was made, we could kinda morph similar questions into one? :lol:
Original post by RazzzBerries
That's true :s-smilie:.

Generally, we seem to have common questions though. I guess if a thread was made, we could kinda morph similar questions into one? :lol:

Yeah that's what we try and do tbh. We do see themes coming out, so we try and make sure we can get answers for the most commonly asked ones so the most people get their general question answered (even if it's worded slightly differently).
Yeah so true. We've done forum-based Q&As before and we actually got loads of feedback that people would prefer video (but obvs Zoom has a whole bunch of other implications) which is why we started embedding the live videos in the forum. Maybe a mixture would be good?

A mixture of both sounds great. This is the first Q&A I will be a part of on TSR so I'm interested to see how it will work.
Posting to subscribe :beard:
Original post by Becca216

what things in virtual open days have you found to be particularly good or particularly bad?

are there any that stand out to you in particular?

I really agree that it's so much easier to ask questions kind of anonymously - sometimes i worry my questions are maybe a bit silly and just would prefer to stay anoymous tbh
Original post by Gov.LeslieKnope
what things in virtual open days have you found to be particularly good or particularly bad?

are there any that stand out to you in particular?

I really agree that it's so much easier to ask questions kind of anonymously - sometimes i worry my questions are maybe a bit silly and just would prefer to stay anoymous tbh

I quite like it when they do zoom/team meetings as it allows you to ask questions as they talk, as sometimes other people ask questions that make you think of another question to ask. I prefer them to text based Q&As as I just found the questions are often answered better.

For me, Birmingham Uni, Nottingham Uni and Liverpool John Moores are the ones that stand out (off the top of my head)
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending