Anyone going KEDST 2020??????

Itd be nice to know a few :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i am
yaaaaaaaaaa
Reply 3
Original post by BlackNigel
i am

Aghhhh what are you studying??? :smile:)))
Reply 4
Original post by BlackNigel
yaaaaaaaaaa

Whoop whooopp, wanna be friends, prepare us to know atleast one person when we go there ahahhahaha
🙋🏼*♀️
Reply 6
Yay lets be friends! If youd like ofc :smile:))
Reply 7
I am !!
I am too :smile: !
I got in last year but decided not to go, good luck everybody though, and BIG UP THE WM
Original post by 2_versions
I got in last year but decided not to go, good luck everybody though, and BIG UP THE WM

What's the "WM"?
Original post by millieg0061
What's the "WM"?

The West Midlands, best part of Britain!
Original post by 2_versions
The West Midlands, best part of Britain!

Aha- that's true!:colondollar:
Hi! I am a bit late to this chat but I'm really interested in going to King Ed's in Sep 2021 and just wondered how you are all getting on? What's the college like? How are the teachers? Was it easy to make friends? You can be completely honest because I am not 100% sure I want to go, purely on the basis that I know very little about it. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by RumerHasIt.665
Hi! I am a bit late to this chat but I'm really interested in going to King Ed's in Sep 2021 and just wondered how you are all getting on? What's the college like? How are the teachers? Was it easy to make friends? You can be completely honest because I am not 100% sure I want to go, purely on the basis that I know very little about it. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hey I’m in Y12 at KEDST now studying Biology, Chemistry and Art. Honestly the college has been great so far even with the restrictions in place because of covid. All of the teachers I’ve got have been really good and supportive with the workload and transition. Making friends was a little hard but no more so than at any other college. Because everyone has different timetables you find yourself with different people every day, plus it’s really easy to become friends with the people in your classes. Only downside atm is the fact that the usual student led extracurriculars aren’t running but usually there’s loads of different things on offer. For me
one of the main reasons I chose King Eds was the site and location as it gives you lots of independence and freedom, but there’s also a really good student support system as well to help you. I’m happy to answer any other questions if you have any!
Original post by laurenmay_o4
Hey I’m in Y12 at KEDST now studying Biology, Chemistry and Art. Honestly the college has been great so far even with the restrictions in place because of covid. All of the teachers I’ve got have been really good and supportive with the workload and transition. Making friends was a little hard but no more so than at any other college. Because everyone has different timetables you find yourself with different people every day, plus it’s really easy to become friends with the people in your classes. Only downside atm is the fact that the usual student led extracurriculars aren’t running but usually there’s loads of different things on offer. For me
one of the main reasons I chose King Eds was the site and location as it gives you lots of independence and freedom, but there’s also a really good student support system as well to help you. I’m happy to answer any other questions if you have any!

Hi thank you so much for your response! I agree, the independent feel was one of the main attractions for me, like its much more free than school sixth forms and I'm so happy the teachers are supportive, and u can make friends as that was one of the things I was worried about. Just a couple of questions if you have the time. Is the size an issue? As I know its like 1000 pupils per year group, so I get the impression its hard to make yourself known or heard, like do you feel like a small fish in a big pond? R u treated as an individual? Also, what is the biology course like, I'm interested in it but not sure I would be good enough. And what are the start times? Do they vary or do you need to be in the same time everyday. I don't live locally and an 8.30 start for example would be impractical. Thanks again! I'm so glad your enjoying the college and I hope you continue too.
Hi thank you so much for your response! I agree, the independent feel was one of the main attractions for me, like its much more free than school sixth forms and I'm so happy the teachers are supportive, and u can make friends as that was one of the things I was worried about. Just a couple of questions if you have the time. Is the size an issue? As I know its like 1000 pupils per year group, so I get the impression its hard to make yourself known or heard, like do you feel like a small fish in a big pond? R u treated as an individual? Also, what is the biology course like, I'm interested in it but not sure I would be good enough. And what are the start times? Do they vary or do you need to be in the same time everyday. I don't live locally and an 8.30 start for example would be impractical. Thanks again! I'm so glad your enjoying the college and I hope you continue too.

Hi the size of the was a concern for me as well as I came from a small high school, but the pastoral support system is really good. Everyone has a personal tutor who you meet with on a regular basis (and can go see whenever if you need) and their sole responsibility is pastoral care of students. I’ve only had one meeting so far but it really does feel like they care a lot about you not just academically. Plus there are meetings with subject teachers early in in the course to discuss how you’re doing so they do keep up to date with how you’re doing individually. With other students I guess you end up seeing a lot of the same people around who’ve got similar timetables so it’s not as overwhelming as you might think. I’m really enjoying the bio course at the moment and I think if you’re enjoying it now you should go for it! There’s a really wide range of abilities and if you need it there’s lots of maths support- I think you can take an extra core maths qualification?? Start time in the morning is 8:30 but most people are only in at that time a few days a week. The timetable is limited at the moment but generally if you’re not in then you’re in at 1:30 or 12:15 for a short lesson. I know a lot of people do have long journeys to college, I don’t live locally as well, but you may be able to look into some of the college run transport? I know they have a few coach services to areas where the buses don’t run as often. I’ve written tons but I hope this helps, thank you and good luck for this year and deciding where you want to go next!

I went for a week and then moved back to my old school. Terrible if you don’t already know anyone as it’s difficult to make close friends when the days are so unstructured and there’s so many people. I HATED it but someone I know who went there and LOVES it so I think it really depends on whether that amount of freedom appeals to you. For me, I didn’t feel like there was enough to do as I’ve always liked full-on school days with lots of extracurricular etc
Original post by laurenmay_o4
Hi the size of the was a concern for me as well as I came from a small high school, but the pastoral support system is really good. Everyone has a personal tutor who you meet with on a regular basis (and can go see whenever if you need) and their sole responsibility is pastoral care of students. I’ve only had one meeting so far but it really does feel like they care a lot about you not just academically. Plus there are meetings with subject teachers early in in the course to discuss how you’re doing so they do keep up to date with how you’re doing individually. With other students I guess you end up seeing a lot of the same people around who’ve got similar timetables so it’s not as overwhelming as you might think. I’m really enjoying the bio course at the moment and I think if you’re enjoying it now you should go for it! There’s a really wide range of abilities and if you need it there’s lots of maths support- I think you can take an extra core maths qualification?? Start time in the morning is 8:30 but most people are only in at that time a few days a week. The timetable is limited at the moment but generally if you’re not in then you’re in at 1:30 or 12:15 for a short lesson. I know a lot of people do have long journeys to college, I don’t live locally as well, but you may be able to look into some of the college run transport? I know they have a few coach services to areas where the buses don’t run as often. I’ve written tons but I hope this helps, thank you and good luck for this year and deciding where you want to go next!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! It means so much and you've made it easier for me to decide for sure. It's reassuring to know the pastoral team are good and that teachers really care. I will look into the transport and the core maths as that would be super helpful! Again, thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the college :smile:
Original post by millieg0061
I went for a week and then moved back to my old school. Terrible if you don’t already know anyone as it’s difficult to make close friends when the days are so unstructured and there’s so many people. I HATED it but someone I know who went there and LOVES it so I think it really depends on whether that amount of freedom appeals to you. For me, I didn’t feel like there was enough to do as I’ve always liked full-on school days with lots of extracurricular etc

I'm so sorry that happened to you! It's my worst nightmare not knowing anyone, and feeling alone. It is true that its different for everyone and I've always found the freedom appealing but perhaps not to the extent of having nothing to do or no structure. If you had the time it would be great if you could tell me more about the friendship thing. Were people unfriendly or did they just not engage with you? And did you speak to the pastoral people about your problems and did they try and solve it for you? Thanks so much for your response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending