The Student Room Group

Driving in box junction, new driver.

Was I allowed to turn right here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here is where it happened. Was I allowed to turn right from this position entering the box junction?
Reply 2
If your exit road is clear and you're waiting for oncoming traffic to pass then it's fine for you to sit in the box.

If your exit road isn't clear then you should wait behind the stop line.
Reply 3
Original post by Football199
Here is where it happened. Was I allowed to turn right from this position entering the box junction?

No, you weren't.
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
No, you weren't.

Lol, but arent they designed for turning right
Reply 5
Lol, but arent they designed for turning right

No. For you to turn right there you would have to block all traffic behind you. That's clearly not right.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
No. For you to turn right there you would have to block all traffic behind you. That's clearly not right.

Ahhh just found out that the turn was a viable option lool. It says so on the GPS on google maps lol. 😅😅🤣🤣
Reply 7
Ahhh just found out that the turn was a viable option lool. It says so on the GPS on google maps lol. 😅😅🤣🤣

Google Maps is not necessarily correct. It's quite clear that you shouldn't be turning right there.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Google Maps is not necessarily correct. It's quite clear that you shouldn't be turning right there.

Ur right 😭😭😭. I just hope the camera didnt pick up on it. I can't do with a fine ;(
Reply 9
It doesn't however state no right turn or have a no right turn sign so I don't think it will hurt in this case
Original post by IWMTom
It's quite clear that you shouldn't be turning right there.

How is it clear? I don't see anything saying that you can't, although I don't know what the "Except Buses" is referring to.
Reply 11
Original post by RogerOxon
How is it clear? I don't see anything saying that you can't, although I don't know what the "Except Buses" is referring to.

For someone to turn right from that side of the road they would have to impede all traffic from the rear as they can't enter the box and wait there.

The other side of the junction has a right turn lane to avoid impeding traffic - this side doesn't.

EDIT: There is a no right turn sign above the "except buses" on the far traffic light. Check Google Streetview. It's fairly blackened, though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
For someone to turn right from that side of the road they would have to impede all traffic from the rear as they can't enter the box and wait there.

The other side of the junction has a right turn lane to avoid impeding traffic - this side doesn't.

I don't often disagree with you, but I do here.

Only having one lane does not implicitly disallow a right turn. They can enter the box junction, and wait there, if their turn is only prevented by oncoming traffic or other cars waiting to turn right. You could be turning left, and prevented from doing so by a pedestrian - you're still allowed to.
Reply 13
I don't often disagree with you, but I do here.

Only having one lane does not implicitly disallow a right turn. They can enter the box junction, and wait there, if their turn is only prevented by oncoming traffic or other cars waiting to turn right. You could be turning left, and prevented from doing so by a pedestrian - you're still allowed to.

Please see my edit. There is a no right turn sign.

EDIT: I do concede that my understanding of a yellow box junction was incorrect in regards to right turns.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
EDIT: There is a no right turn sign above the "except buses" on the far traffic light. Check Google Streetview. It's fairly blackened, though.

Ah - that makes sense then. I couldn't see it on street view - too faded.
Reply 15
Ah - that makes sense then. I couldn't see it on street view - too faded.

Yes, I'm not sure whether it's just bad photography from the Streetview car, or whether it illuminates to indicate when a right turn is forbidden (perhaps at peak times to avoid congestion?)
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, I'm not sure whether it's just bad photography from the Streetview car, or whether it illuminates to indicate when a right turn is forbidden (perhaps at peak times to avoid congestion?)

That would make sense.
It didn't illuminate when I drove past at all. I didn't see one car turn right from my position too which worried me. If I had seen a no right turn sign I would have not turned right but I didn't see it anywhere. I think the 'except buses' sign means every vehicle can turn right into that road EXCEPT BUSES. Or NO vehicles EXCEPT BUSES can turn right. I'm so confused lol. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks 🤣😂
Reply 18
It didn't illuminate when I drove past at all. I didn't see one car turn right from my position too which worried me. If I had seen a no right turn sign I would have not turned right but I didn't see it anywhere. I think the 'except buses' sign means every vehicle can turn right into that road EXCEPT BUSES. Or NO vehicles EXCEPT BUSES can turn right. I'm so confused lol. I guess I'll find out in 2 weeks 🤣😂

No, it means "no right turn unless you're a bus".

I wouldn't anticipate any comeback from this anyway, but I know TfL can be a bit anal about yellow boxes and the like.

If you're local to the area, it would be great if you could run past that junction again to see if the sign is one that illuminates or not. Appreciate you may not be.
Original post by IWMTom
No, it means "no right turn unless you're a bus".

I wouldn't anticipate any comeback from this anyway, but I know TfL can be a bit anal about yellow boxes and the like.

If you're local to the area, it would be great if you could run past that junction again to see if the sign is one that illuminates or not. Appreciate you may not be.

Yeah, I will definitely check it out again to be sure.
I haven't driven since I passed my test a year ago and all the road signs I learnt are now forgetten. I'll have to refresh my knowledge of some of them again haha. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending