The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

University deferred place without asking?

I’m asking on behalf of my sister. She applied for medicine at Cardiff and originally got shafted by the algorithm and missed her offer with A*BB. After the U-turn though she ended up with an A*AA for her grades and after us all frantically calling and contacting Cardiff for days they have finally responded, except she doesn’t have her original offer - they’ve emailed her today saying they would be “happy to accept her for 2021 entry” even though she never actually agreed to defer, nor did they ever discuss with her in advance they were even going to defer her.

The only notice we had regarding deferral was when she had a phone call a couple of days ago directly from the school of medicine asking if she would be happy to defer - but even then, she said no. We’re super confused as to how they can push forwards deferring her without actually consulting her first and she’s going to try and get through to them first thing tomorrow for some answers, but in the meantime is there anything else we can do to appeal this? Is there anyone else going through this right now???

Please advise!
Unfortunately there's nothing technically wrong with this and they don't have to take her for 2020, and it's a "take it or leave it" situation. If universities do not have enough places for 2020 they're giving out places for 2021. (some are asking people to defer and giving an option, others [including your situation] are not given a choice)

Unlikely you're going to get a university place [at least, one she would be happy with as an alternative to Cardiff med] for 2020 considering a lot of places are now (over)full with people who have now got in through CAGs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
They may not have enough places on the course for her, and if this is the case there’s nothing to be done really. Either she accepts the deferral and takes a gap year or she doesn’t go to Cardiff.
Original post by _gcx
Unfortunately there's nothing technically wrong with this and they don't have to take her for 2020, and it's a "take it or leave it" situation. If universities do not have enough places for 2020 they're giving out places for 2021. (some are asking people to defer and giving an option, others [including your situation] are not given a choice)

Unlikely you're going to get a university place [at least, one she would be happy with as an alternative to Cardiff med] for 2020 considering a lot of places are now (over)full with people who have now got in through CAGs.

Thanks for the response. She is one of the people who should have gotten in through CAGs, that’s why we are so confused. My question is why they didn’t at least discuss this with her before deciding to defer her entry? She received her CAGs two weeks ago and they confirmed they had received them a week and a half ago, surely in that time they could have at least mentioned properly that this would be an option or that they were going to take this option?

Obviously we’re still extremely happy she has a place (even if it’s not the original one she wanted) but the real thing is we want to know why exactly this has happened and why they were able to do this without asking her first.... surely there should be some kind of conversation about it beforehand 🤔
Original post by MadameRazz
They may not have enough places on the course for her, and if this is the case there’s nothing to be done really. Either she accepts the deferral and takes a gap year or she doesn’t go to Cardiff.

I totally understand this. But then again, if they didn’t have the space it feels like they should have at least explained this to her? In the email she got theres no explanation whatsoever, it’s literally just “we’ll see you next year wooo” and nothing else.
Original post by Overdrive.prsnl
I totally understand this. But then again, if they didn’t have the space it feels like they should have at least explained this to her? In the email she got theres no explanation whatsoever, it’s literally just “we’ll see you next year wooo” and nothing else.

Yeah I understand the frustration. However university admissions teams have been under so much more stress and pressure than usual this year and they’re trying their best. There’s no real harm in still calling them up for an explanation if you feel it’s needed. Good luck to your sister.
I agree that it appears 'rude' - it may be worth phoning Cardiff to check that they are aware she didnt want to defer.
But if she has no choice, that's life. Its better than no Medicine place at all - which was her reality at one point.
It may be time to emphasise what she has got.
Original post by MadameRazz
Yeah I understand the frustration. However university admissions teams have been under so much more stress and pressure than usual this year and they’re trying their best. There’s no real harm in still calling them up for an explanation if you feel it’s needed. Good luck to your sister.

Thanks. She’s well aware of the situation which was why I’m also trying to find if anyone else is in this situation, I’ve literally never heard of this happening before

As I’ve said, she’s going to call them tomorrow and see if she can’t get answers/further details or explanation regarding her situation
Thanks for the response. She is one of the people who should have gotten in through CAGs, that’s why we are so confused. My question is why they didn’t at least discuss this with her before deciding to defer her entry? She received her CAGs two weeks ago and they confirmed they had received them a week and a half ago, surely in that time they could have at least mentioned properly that this would be an option or that they were going to take this option?

Obviously we’re still extremely happy she has a place (even if it’s not the original one she wanted) but the real thing is we want to know why exactly this has happened and why they were able to do this without asking her first.... surely there should be some kind of conversation about it beforehand 🤔

Really they should have made it clear on the website that they were going to have to defer some people to 2021, if they didn't then yes they were misleading. (it was mentioned in the media but as some sort of "exceptional circumstance", when it wasn't really, quite a few people are in this situation)

There wasn't really much to discuss, if they're full then they're full if they budge for one then that's unfair on others, but I do agree that a simple "We don't have enough space to take you this year but we are happy to take you for 2021 entry" would have been nice! Not an especially sympathetic choice of words on their part.
Original post by McGinger
I agree that it appears 'rude' - it may be worth phoning Cardiff to check that they are aware she didnt want to defer.
But if she has no choice, that's life. Its better than no Medicine place at all - which was her reality at one point.
It may be time to emphasise what she has got.

Definitely. Again, we are all thrilled she managed to get a place, it’s just there has been literally no communication beforehand on this new situation with deferral. Would also like to mention that the email also feels unofficial as she also checked her UCAS Track and it hasn’t actually updated to reflect that she has apparently deferred
the email also feels unofficial as she also checked her UCAS Track and it hasn’t actually updated to reflect that she has apparently deferred

Phone the Uni - it may simply be a mistake (ie. they think she was one of those happy to defer).
Hi I think I am having a similar situation for my occupational therapy course, they say the only choice for me is to defer my place to sept 22 and I did accepted their offer. But up until now there still isn’t any UCAS update on Track and I am quite worry as the email for my deferral also feels a bit unofficial. What should I do now cause I am a bit confused.
Original post by Fishychan
Hi I think I am having a similar situation for my occupational therapy course, they say the only choice for me is to defer my place to sept 22 and I did accepted their offer. But up until now there still isn’t any UCAS update on Track and I am quite worry as the email for my deferral also feels a bit unofficial. What should I do now cause I am a bit confused.

Contact them and ask when you will receive an updated offer letter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending