The Student Room Group

Need National Insurance Number. Student Finance Application Approved.

My application has been approved but I have not yet entered my insurance number. the SFE site says I can not be paid without national insurance number. I do not know where to find this or if i even have one. I live in the UK.
Have you ever had a job?

Your NI number is assigned when you turn 16 by the DWP (or when you get a job if you weren’t born in the UK).

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you ever had a job?

Your NI number is assigned when you turn 16 by the DWP (or when you get a job if you weren’t born in the UK).

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

I haven't had a job and have not claimed benefits either
Original post by ubayd1847
I haven't had a job and have not claimed benefits either

The link explains how to find out your NI number.
Good morning, if you applied to SFE without a National Insurance Number, once approved you will receive a letter inviting you to an interview to obtain one. As far as I'm aware it will be a link where you can arrange an interview at your local job centre.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Isaac
Good morning, if you applied to SFE without a National Insurance Number, once approved you will receive a letter inviting you to an interview to obtain one. As far as I'm aware it will be a link where you can arrange an interview at your local job centre.
Thanks, Isaac

oh okay, many thanks! When can I expect this? And is there a dress code for the interview?
oh okay, many thanks! When can I expect this? And is there a dress code for the interview?

After you have been approved. I don't know about the details of the interview as it's with the DWP/job centre not with SFE.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 7
After you have been approved. I don't know about the details of the interview as it's with the DWP/job centre not with SFE.
Thanks, Isaac

I was approved a bit over a week ago and still have not heard back about the national insurance number. do you know how long it shud take to be given an interview?
I was approved a bit over a week ago and still have not heard back about the national insurance number. do you know how long it shud take to be given an interview?

If you are an SFE applicant you should receive a letter. It might take longer due to the pandemic. If you have any worries then call us on 0300 100 0607 and we can review your account.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 9
If you are an SFE applicant you should receive a letter. It might take longer due to the pandemic. If you have any worries then call us on 0300 100 0607 and we can review your account.
Thanks, Isaac

i just received letters. one confirming changes i made to the loan amounts, and one requesting national insurance number. It contains an envelope and a form to send back, however i still have not received an invitation to get an interview for the national insurance number. do i send the form back without entering new national insurance number details? or will another letter come inviting me to an interview?
many thanks!!
i just received letters. one confirming changes i made to the loan amounts, and one requesting national insurance number. It contains an envelope and a form to send back, however i still have not received an invitation to get an interview for the national insurance number. do i send the form back without entering new national insurance number details? or will another letter come inviting me to an interview?
many thanks!!

What does the form say? Does it advise on how to gain a National Insurance Number or is it just asking for one?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 11
It says:

"Please provide us with confirmation of these details by completing the enclosed form and returning it to us in the envelope provided as soon as possible.
If you do not have an NI number you may be sent a letter from your local Jobcentre Plus or Social Security Agency inviting you to an interview. Once you have been advised of your NI Number, complete and return the attached form.
Your loan payments will be suspended until you have provided your NI Number and this has been verified by DWP."
Reply 12
Update: I checked the student finance website, and it says: "Status: payments scheduled".

I called 0300 100 0609 and was told I had uploaded a national insurance number. I mentioned that I did not actually upload one. So they said they needed to verify that this was indeed my NINO. They also said to call 0300 200 3500. So I called this number and was told I do have a national insurance number, and this will be sent by post within 2-3 weeks. So this means the number entered for me on student finance was probably correct. Is there anything else I have to do?

Also, I was wondering when the loan is expected to arrive. I heard within 5 days of my university confirming my attendance. I need my finance ideally before the 21st September, when my course starts, in order to purchase a laptop by then.
Update: I checked the student finance website, and it says: "Status: payments scheduled".

I called 0300 100 0609 and was told I had uploaded a national insurance number. I mentioned that I did not actually upload one. So they said they needed to verify that this was indeed my NINO. They also said to call 0300 200 3500. So I called this number and was told I do have a national insurance number, and this will be sent by post within 2-3 weeks. So this means the number entered for me on student finance was probably correct. Is there anything else I have to do?

Also, I was wondering when the loan is expected to arrive. I heard within 5 days of my university confirming my attendance. I need my finance ideally before the 21st September, when my course starts, in order to purchase a laptop by then.

You can view your payment schedule to view the scheduled date http://ow.ly/hqFS30ptSwp
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 14
You can view your payment schedule to view the scheduled date http://ow.ly/hqFS30ptSwp
Thanks, Isaac

Hi, I called SFE again, and everything is fine now!
Reply 15
Thanks, Isaac

Many thanks Isaac!
Many thanks Isaac!

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending