The Student Room Group

Teach First Applications 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louderthanlove
Hey guys! I've got my DC next week on the 17th (I applied on 04/07 and was told I had progressed to DC on 12/07), was wondering if anyone who's done it already has any advice! I'm super nervous about the group task in particular, as I'm worried that since it takes place on Zoom I won't be able to assert myself enough

I was most worried about that too but it was actually one of my favourite bits. Because they stress that you’re not in direct competition with the other participants as is common in most other selections days of this kind, there is a really friendly, cooperative atmosphere that lends itself well to the group task. I found that once we got going, being on zoom didn’t seem to get in the way at all really, it felt just like it would of we were all in the same room. Just make sure you are aware of what you did well/what you could improve upon for the self-reflection, that seemed really key.
Hey guys! I've got my DC next week on the 17th (I applied on 04/07 and was told I had progressed to DC on 12/07), was wondering if anyone who's done it already has any advice! I'm super nervous about the group task in particular, as I'm worried that since it takes place on Zoom I won't be able to assert myself enough

Congrats on getting to the next stage!
You dont have to assert yourself in anyway. You have to be collaborative, they want to see you work as a part of a team. My suggestion is take on a role of time keeper or if someone else if doing that, try to involve other more quiet participants for example. They want to see this, and reflection of your personal experience within the group task.
Hi guys, I applied on the 24th July. Even though they have said that it could be up to 20 working days to hear back I'm still really nervous that they wont get back to me. Is anybody else in is similar situation?
Hi everyone. Been offered ICT London. So happy! Took less than a week to receive my offer. Does anyone know how much the salary is for the first year? I’ll be relocating so trying to work out what I need to save

I really enjoyed it, although I'm super shy so was really nervous. Best advice I can give is just have confidence in your ideas and answers xx
Thanks so much everyone for the advice and reassurance! Will keep you updated as to how the DC went, fingers crossed!
Just had my assessment centre! Despite it being online, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, everyone is super friendly - the staff and the other candidates in the group task - and it seems like they genuinely want you to do well. I do think I was a bit rambly in the interview though, so not sure how it went overall. How long do they usually take to get back to you?
Reply 67
Original post by Pgce2020
Hi everyone. Been offered ICT London. So happy! Took less than a week to receive my offer. Does anyone know how much the salary is for the first year? I’ll be relocating so trying to work out what I need to save

I got offered ICT in London as well a few days ago. I'm from NI so I'll be relocating as well
Hi there. I've got my development centre coming up this week and was wondering did people use props or a powerpoint presentations for their 4 minute lesson?
Reply 69
Had my DC on Thursday and received an offer today to teach science in London! Very happy!
Reply 70
Hi everyone!I received my offer yesterday after my DC last week for MFL in the North East 😁 So happy!Good luck to everyone who has their DC coming up - but I honestly agree with a lot that's already been said - everyone is so lovely at the DC and this really helps to put you at ease. Congratulations to everyone else with offers too!
Reply 71
Original post by oidb1232
Hi there. I've got my development centre coming up this week and was wondering did people use props or a powerpoint presentations for their 4 minute lesson?

You can feel free to use either- I was advised to not share my screen for too long because it makes the image really small for the assessor so they can't really see you properly. So I spoke in mine for about 2 minutes and then shared a powerpoint for the final 2 mins and worked fine!
Reply 72
Original post by hj172
Had my DC on Thursday and received an offer today to teach science in London! Very happy!

Congratulations!!
Has anyone else been asked to take the top up course?
Reply 74
I haven’t discussed it with them yet but I’d like to do the subject enhancement course at some point next year as it’s been a few years since I graduated!
Reply 75

Hi I have as well. Mine is in October. I don’t really know what to think of it as I didn’t know it existed. I think it’s a good opportunity tho.
Original post by Ee13
Hi I have as well. Mine is in October. I don’t really know what to think of it as I didn’t know it existed. I think it’s a good opportunity tho.

Same here! I got the call this morning and didn't really know how to take it, but I guess it's best to just go in with an open mind! They said mine will likely be in November.
Reply 77
Same here! I got the call this morning and didn't really know how to take it, but I guess it's best to just go in with an open mind! They said mine will likely be in November.

Is this after the development centre?
Reply 78
Did you complete your Curriculum Knowledge Assessment and then they asked you to do the top up course?
Original post by stulfc
Is this after the development centre?

Yeah I had my development centre 2 weeks ago and they just called yesterday morning. They basically said that I didn't show all of their competencies on the development centre day, however they still believe I have potential so they want me to do the top up workshops. It's basically 2 days of workshops which assessors will be watching and on the third day I have to do another teaching episode. There's also a 5 hour online module to complete beforehand

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending