The Student Room Group

Some teachers call for removal of SQA Exams

https://www.tes.com/news/heads-call-cancellation-and-shortening-sqa-exams
So a bunch of teachers have apparently called for the cancellation of 2021 exams ("At National 5, BOCSH which comprises 20 headteachers from 19 local authorities calls for "the removal of exams to be replaced by teacher predicted grades and internal assessment".

At Higher, it states that "the exam diet should remain but at a later date and with shortened exams and reduced content".

At Advanced Higher, it suggests "removing the final exam, increasing the weighting of the dissertation and introducing assessment windows throughout the session for moderated graded assessments to take place".")

Personally, I am very against this and I think that it should be the government and the SQAs priority to ensure that the 2021 exams do go ahead safely. I just think that that doing exams is actually a very important part of education, and I think they are vital because there isn't really any other way where you can show your academic ability no matter your background, and they do teach things like self-discipline and work ethic. I also would miss the sense of achievement having done my exams. Of course, exams aren't for everyone which is why coursework-based courses exist but I don't think the blanket removal of exams is the answer. What does everyone else think?
For the higher bit I agree (So I won’t have to do 2 essays for english hehehe) but I am absolutely against removal of the exam diet. We already suffered from crappy moderation and abrupt government u-turn. I don’t want this to happen AGAIN.
Original post by pineapplepink
https://www.tes.com/news/heads-call-cancellation-and-shortening-sqa-exams
So a bunch of teachers have apparently called for the cancellation of 2021 exams ("At National 5, BOCSH which comprises 20 headteachers from 19 local authorities calls for "the removal of exams to be replaced by teacher predicted grades and internal assessment".

At Higher, it states that "the exam diet should remain but at a later date and with shortened exams and reduced content".

At Advanced Higher, it suggests "removing the final exam, increasing the weighting of the dissertation and introducing assessment windows throughout the session for moderated graded assessments to take place".")

Personally, I am very against this and I think that it should be the government and the SQAs priority to ensure that the 2021 exams do go ahead safely. I just think that that doing exams is actually a very important part of education, and I think they are vital because there isn't really any other way where you can show your academic ability no matter your background, and they do teach things like self-discipline and work ethic. I also would miss the sense of achievement having done my exams. Of course, exams aren't for everyone which is why coursework-based courses exist but I don't think the blanket removal of exams is the answer. What does everyone else think?

They should make amendments which are fair and proportionate. for the hardship suffered.
If they do teacher predicted grades , then they know they will end up getting record marks and students will spend more time being nice to teacher.

As its SQA am not that bothered, but they will just end up devaluing the qualification and unis will change entrance requirements. This years A levels are known to be ridiculously generous in overpredictions and do not have the same credibility as students in the past who did the revision and sat the exams, unless you believe it is the brightest co hort since exams began, not just by a little, but significant amounts.
Original post by Kubsyy
For the higher bit I agree (So I won’t have to do 2 essays for english hehehe) but I am absolutely against removal of the exam diet. We already suffered from crappy moderation and abrupt government u-turn. I don’t want this to happen AGAIN.

yeah it makes sense amending the courses in terms of missed learning time but like you, I think the removal of the exam diet is just moronic. If they do that it'll be like did they even learn anything from this year?

Original post by 999tigger
They should make amendments which are fair and proportionate. for the hardship suffered.
If they do teacher predicted grades , then they know they will end up getting record marks and students will spend more time being nice to teacher.

As its SQA am not that bothered, but they will just end up devaluing the qualification and unis will change entrance requirements. This years A levels are known to be ridiculously generous in overpredictions and do not have the same credibility as students in the past who did the revision and sat the exams, unless you believe it is the brightest co hort since exams began, not just by a little, but significant amounts.

yeah exactly. Pass rates are already through the roof this year anyway. Can't believe they're actually considering that again lmao

well fair enough. I heard some government guy say earlier that English exams are defo going ahead in 2021 but have heard no such thing from sturgeons lot. There are some teachers in england calling for the same thing though, but looks like you guys are out of the woods:biggrin:
I think the ideal situation (aside from the fact there's a lot wrong with the system generally) would be for the exams to go ahead...But, I think that with that comes a large degree of uncertainty - they could well be cancelled again last minute. This year, I don't think the fact they were cancelled was the problem (e.g. in Ireland students were left hanging on about whether they would be sitting them for weeks, which didn't do anyone any good really), but rather the last minute nature of the system that did get put in place meant it was a flawed system. This year, we really need to be ready for them to happen, and ready for them to be cancelled, with a more robust back up plan in place well in advance if they do. It's too early to have any idea what May will be like - I think the best that can be done for just now is keeping the options open :redface:
Original post by Labrador99
I think the ideal situation (aside from the fact there's a lot wrong with the system generally) would be for the exams to go ahead...But, I think that with that comes a large degree of uncertainty - they could well be cancelled again last minute. This year, I don't think the fact they were cancelled was the problem (e.g. in Ireland students were left hanging on about whether they would be sitting them for weeks, which didn't do anyone any good really), but rather the last minute nature of the system that did get put in place meant it was a flawed system. This year, we really need to be ready for them to happen, and ready for them to be cancelled, with a more robust back up plan in place well in advance if they do. It's too early to have any idea what May will be like - I think the best that can be done for just now is keeping the options open :redface:

fair enough. I definitely agree that they need to have a plan either way (which it definitely didn't seem like this year lol :facepalm:)
My worry for cutting out bits of, e.g., Higher Maths, is that different schools have already taught different parts of the course. Logs, circles, recurrence relations, synthetic division, etc.: They've all been taught somewhere already this year, so removing them from the course will disadvantage those pupils who will have wasted weeks of their learning.
This is ridiculous. I don’t think the adults campaigning for this what another year of predicted grades means to us, it basically shatters any credibility that our grades have left. Of course if it is not possible that’s different but exams shouldn’t be cancelled unless there’s absolutely no way they could go on. I also think it’s a joke how the SQA still hasn’t published changes to the courses, because we could have been taught stuff which we no longer have to learn!?
Hm, i think it's debatable.

If they cancelled exams now, it would give teachers a lot of time to assign internal assessments. However, it could be problematic as they wouldn't be regulated so some could be harder than others.

I disagree with the importance of exams. One exam does not reflect on a student's capability, and that has been shown on numerous occasions where students predicted As completely bomb the exam for various reasons.

Either way, I don't mind, but I would prefer them to make a decision now rather than later.
Perhaps placing more importance on internal exams like dissertations, speaking exams, etc. would work?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending