The Student Room Group

Pregnant and homeless with my bf..

Hi guys.. I got kicked out my parents house on Friday.. My mum didn't want me to leave but my dad did.. and I have been staying in a hotel with my boyfriend who is american.. I have a job where I work 30 hours a week as a night care assistant and I signed up for universal credit to see if they could help me.. I don't know any other organisations that could help me out or my boyfriend.. baby wont be due until december and any advice would be appreciated.. I have no support from family... Thanks..
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys.. I got kicked out my parents house on Friday.. My mum didn't want me to leave but my dad did.. and I have been staying in a hotel with my boyfriend who is american.. I have a job where I work 30 hours a week as a night care assistant and I signed up for universal credit to see if they could help me.. I don't know any other organisations that could help me out or my boyfriend.. baby wont be due until december and any advice would be appreciated.. I have no support from family... Thanks..

Is your boyfriend working at the moment? it depends how many weeks pregnant you currently are but you might be eligible to apply for maternity allowance soon on top of applying for universal credit.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Is your boyfriend working at the moment? it depends how many weeks pregnant you currently are but you might be eligible to apply for maternity allowance soon on top of applying for universal credit.

No, he cant work as he isnt a uk citizen.. he has no right to work in the UK.. so I am left on my own doing everything :frown:
No, he cant work as he isnt a uk citizen.. he has no right to work in the UK.. so I am left on my own doing everything :frown:

he's on a non working visa? start by getting your universal credit application done and looking for somewhere cheap to live and contacting the local council to see if you can get on the emergency housing list at all, then see if you can apply for maternity allowance and there's also a sure start grant you may be able to get towards things for the baby. All they really need is a safe home, milk, somewhere to sleep and clothes, it doesn't have to be very expensive.
cant he apply for a working visa?
Contact your local council.
If you are a UK citizen you will be considered in priority need and the council will likely help identify some emergency accommodation suitable for your needs.
But remember that your needs will be considered the priority because you are pregnant and have been thrown out by your parents, not your bf.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
he's on a non working visa? start by getting your universal credit application done and looking for somewhere cheap to live and contacting the local council to see if you can get on the emergency housing list at all, then see if you can apply for maternity allowance and there's also a sure start grant you may be able to get towards things for the baby. All they really need is a safe home, milk, somewhere to sleep and clothes, it doesn't have to be very expensive.

I have been looking at some places but a lot of people charge too much rent per month.. I have been looking on spare room.co.uk and trying to find studio apartments or something cheap for me and my boyfriend to stay in but I'm not having much luck... He is on a non working visa and hasn't applied for one yet..
Reply 7
cant he apply for a working visa?

Yes.. But I dont think he wants to apply as he said he wants to look after the baby when the baby comes..
Yes.. But I dont think he wants to apply as he said he wants to look after the baby when the baby comes..

you'll need time to recover but it's up to you when you'll feel ready to go back to work afterwards.
he sounds like a freeloader- make sure you prioritise yourself and the baby!
Reply 10

How old are you? The advice will differ hugely depending on if you are over 18 or not.

Call the police, and explain the situation.
If your dad is fuming, then contact fire station.
In labour pain, go to the doctor.
Your boyfriend, is a freeloader.

What is his status in the UK?

Is he here with a visa? If so, what sort of visa, and how long is it valid for?

Where is he living currently?

You might find that even if the council find accommodation for you, it may not be available for him -- is he permitted recourse to public funds?
Not sure what anyone can do about your boyfriend because he is not a uk citizen, so he would need a visa to be here.
But you will not be working with a baby, and you will need housing. Even if its temporary housing until something more permanent comes along. I would get onto the local council office and see what they can do.
https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-help/how-to-get-help/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr77PqMzL6wIVV4XVCh0yiA88EAAYAiAAEgKtePD_BwE
Is he overstaying his visitor visa? If so that's an issue.

Yeah I bet he does.

He sounds utterly useless, you’re living in a hotel ffs with you working and stressing about finances and working nights whilst pregnant. Any decent man would bend over backwards to get you out of this situation.

Contact women’s aid and see if you can get a mother baby unit. The boyfriend I would ditch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending