The Student Room Group

Do university appeals work?

After contacting so many admissions at this particular uni, I’ve decided to appeal and I was wondering whether it’ll work?
Background: Was meant to apply for a course on results day via clearing but my schools exam results system was broken and I didn’t receive my results until the next day and the course was full by the afternoon and clearing ended on the same day. I have the grades and I don’t think it’s fair.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roseflamingo
After contacting so many admissions at this particular uni, I’ve decided to appeal and I was wondering whether it’ll work?
Background: Was meant to apply for a course on results day via clearing but my schools exam results system was broken and I didn’t receive my results until the next day and the course was full by the afternoon and clearing ended on the same day. I have the grades and I don’t think it’s fair.

Not sure on what grounds you can appeal to the uni; you are not a student there. The fault lies with your school.
Original post by mike23mike
Not sure on what grounds you can appeal to the uni; you are not a student there. The fault lies with your school.

Yeah I know but I spoke to admissions and I have the grades but clearing has ended
If a university had closed clearing by the time you applied I dont see how you can appeal and they arent likely to change their decision. The issue is a schools issue not the university.
Original post by swanseajack1
If a university had closed clearing by the time you applied I dont see how you can appeal and they arent likely to change their decision. The issue is a schools issue not the university.

Am I wrong in saying that appeals are used so university admissions are to reconsider an application? I’m doing this because I find this unfair and I want to be given a chance to have my application looked at and reconsider
Am I wrong in saying that appeals are used so university admissions are to reconsider an application? I’m doing this because I find this unfair and I want to be given a chance to have my application looked at and reconsider

Universities dont usually change their decisions. Schools get their results the weekend before results day so have adequate time to sort things out. I suspect you were one of the students whose grades were changed to the Cags and this might have caused your problem. Universities have limited space. There is only so much room in lectures and accommodation space. The fact your university closed its clearing so quickly says it is full. What do you expect them to do get rid of someone else to give you a place.

Look you might be unlucky but you are one of many thousands in that position. The fact you have spoken to admissions and they are still saying no suggests they have no places. If you meet a university's criteria and they had space they would welcome you. At the end of the day they would gain financially from taking you so would accept you with open arms.

You need to move on for your own sake. The appeal is highly unlikely to succeed. Whilst you have been wasting your time on this other universities have been filling spaces. You basically have 2 choices. One is to try and find another university through clearing and many still have places. The other is to take a gap year and apply to your favoured university next year.
Universities dont usually change their decisions. Schools get their results the weekend before results day so have adequate time to sort things out. I suspect you were one of the students whose grades were changed to the Cags and this might have caused your problem. Universities have limited space. There is only so much room in lectures and accommodation space. The fact your university closed its clearing so quickly says it is full. What do you expect them to do get rid of someone else to give you a place.

Look you might be unlucky but you are one of many thousands in that position. The fact you have spoken to admissions and they are still saying no suggests they have no places. If you meet a university's criteria and they had space they would welcome you. At the end of the day they would gain financially from taking you so would accept you with open arms.

You need to move on for your own sake. The appeal is highly unlikely to succeed. Whilst you have been wasting your time on this other universities have been filling spaces. You basically have 2 choices. One is to try and find another university through clearing and many still have places. The other is to take a gap year and apply to your favoured university next year.

First of all, I have been trying to get into this university for 2 years. Couldn’t apply through UCAS cuz there was no point if they wouldn’t accept me. Grades lowered for clearing and made an application the day before. I didn’t know my results would be delayed. I just want someone to see what I’m capable of and that I’ve been trying for 2 years now to get in. Also. I’m not going in accommodation so that minimises the need of giving me accommodation. They said they could offer me a place if I got Distinction*, I didn’t at first but now I do. But they are saying clearing has ended but I’ve been put in an awkward situation.
Clearing has ended because they have filled all their spaces. Full stop. There is no room. You need to move on and look elsewhere. You have spent 2 years dreaming about getting into this particular university. Time to live in the real world. If they accepted you then they would have to accept others and that isnt practical..

In life we dont have everything we want and have to move on. Even if you wait and try again next year the likelyhood is you wont get in as you dont meet their usual requirements and because of the grade inflation this year there will be many more candidates for courses next year. The course might not end up in clearing.
Clearing has ended because they have filled all their spaces. Full stop. There is no room. You need to move on and look elsewhere. You have spent 2 years dreaming about getting into this particular university. Time to live in the real world. If they accepted you then they would have to accept others and that isnt practical..

In life we dont have everything we want and have to move on. Even if you wait and try again next year the likelyhood is you wont get in as you dont meet their usual requirements and because of the grade inflation this year there will be many more candidates for courses next year. The course might not end up in clearing.

Well clearing ended before CAGS came out and people may have got places at their firm choice which means there may be space left. Also, people who went through clearing for this university probably can’t get in other places and had to resort to this particular university. I have wanted to go to this university for a long time now and I’m sure people who put it as insurance choice or clearing don’t particularly want to go there. Anyways, I’ve appealed because I personally think I have the right reasons for to be reconsidered. I have lots of evidence to show it
Well clearing ended before CAGS came out and people may have got places at their firm choice which means there may be space left. Also, people who went through clearing for this university probably can’t get in other places and had to resort to this particular university. I have wanted to go to this university for a long time now and I’m sure people who put it as insurance choice or clearing don’t particularly want to go there. Anyways, I’ve appealed because I personally think I have the right reasons for to be reconsidered. I have lots of evidence to show it

That is your choice but based on the evidence that you have put here you are not going to win it. If a university has filled its spaces their hands are tied. Why come on here asking a question when you are going to ignore any advice other than what you want to hear. As far people putting universities as insurance or getting in through clearing that is the case every year. It is also hypocritical when you are also trying to get in through clearing yourself.
That is your choice but based on the evidence that you have put here you are not going to win it. If a university has filled its spaces their hands are tied. Why come on here asking a question when you are going to ignore any advice other than what you want to hear. As far people putting universities as insurance or getting in through clearing that is the case every year. It is also hypocritical when you are also trying to get in through clearing yourself.

I came here to ask about uni appeals and whether they work so I can have a little insight on what to expect and other people’s past experience of it. Instead of that, all I’ve got a mouthful from you saying ‘no not going to happen, find somewhere else’ I’m gonna try everything possible to get in. Hypocritical? Well I would’ve loved to apply last year through UCAS but I had the opportunity through clearing. I don’t even think it’s a popular course but idk. I just wanted some ‘positive’ advice
Look on the university’s website at their appeals procedure.

You can normally only appeal if the university has done something wrong, e.g. gone against their own admissions policy or discriminated against you.

Whatever happened with your school isn’t the unis fault, so is unlikely to fall under the uni’s appeals process.
Reply 12
Doubt it, it isnt their fault nor problem i'm afraid. Not to mention most universities are dealing with over subscription this year thanks to the results **** up and are trying to push students into next year.

That being said can't hurt to try.
I came here to ask about uni appeals and whether they work so I can have a little insight on what to expect and other people’s past experience of it. Instead of that, all I’ve got a mouthful from you saying ‘no not going to happen, find somewhere else’ I’m gonna try everything possible to get in. Hypocritical? Well I would’ve loved to apply last year through UCAS but I had the opportunity through clearing. I don’t even think it’s a popular course but idk. I just wanted some ‘positive’ advice

University appeals dont work unless the university hasnt followed their procedures which they have. They rejected you because they had filled their spaces but you think you should be given preferential treatment over others who have been rejected. That isnt a reason to change their mind but in your selfish thoughts you ignore that. All universities this year are having to deal with the effects of massive grade inflation and are trying to fit in students who were originally rejected because they didnt meet their grades only subsequently meeting them when the government accepted the Cags rather than the moderated results. The result of all this means universities are having to try and find spaces where there arent any and may well defer applicants to next year. These people have the original grades and not clearing grades and will have priority over you.
Original post by Desideri
Look on the university’s website at their appeals procedure.

You can normally only appeal if the university has done something wrong, e.g. gone against their own admissions policy or discriminated against you.

Whatever happened with your school isn’t the unis fault, so is unlikely to fall under the uni’s appeals process.

They said themselves that if I get distinction* then they would offer me a place(this is from someone from the course department) and then someone else said that clearing had ended so they are all telling me different things. I’ve got emails from 2018/19/20 showing that I’ve expressed an interest for a while now. I just appealed because I want to be reconsidered
Even if you could appeal - what outcome would you look for at this stage? Numbers will mostly be finalised and certainly by the time they process your appeal they most likely wouldn't be able to give you a place for this year.
University appeals dont work unless the university hasnt followed their procedures which they have. They rejected you because they had filled their spaces but you think you should be given preferential treatment over others who have been rejected. That isnt a reason to change their mind but in your selfish thoughts you ignore that. All universities this year are having to deal with the effects of massive grade inflation and are trying to fit in students who were originally rejected because they didnt meet their grades only subsequently meeting them when the government accepted the Cags rather than the moderated results. The result of all this means universities are having to try and find spaces where there arent any and may well defer applicants to next year. These people have the original grades and not clearing grades and will have priority over you.

Well if I don’t think about myself and fight for what I believe in then I’m going to get no where. You think I’m just going to sit here and doing nothing because they said no? I’m going to do everything I can to the point where I can’t go further. Even if appealing doesn’t work, I’ve tried it so I know where I stand with the university.
Original post by _gcx
Even if you could appeal - what outcome would you look for at this stage? Numbers will mostly be finalised and certainly by the time they process your appeal they most likely wouldn't be able to give you a place for this year.

I’m just trying everything possible to see where I get. But if I don’t try, I’m not going to get anywhere
Reply 18
I hear your frustration but unfortunately the people responding to your original post are right. You can continue to hope for the best with the appeal, but as the fault was with your school and you didn’t actually hold an offer at the uni (since you’re trying to get a place through clearing), it’s HIGHLY unlikely the appeal will be successful.

Although the uni told you prior to results day that they will/can offer you a place if you get a distinction, you have missed the opportunity to get that place through clearing due to your school’s late release of results. It’s not your fault, however it’s not the university’s fault either. They are now full so there’s only so much they can do for you. Especially during this time where they are already oversubscribed.
(edited 3 years ago)

You do not have any right of appeal.
The University followed process and did not make a mistake.
You have no grounds for appeal.

You may feel aggrieved that because of your school's problems you missed a Clearing place.
Thats understandable - but it doesn't mean you are 'entitled to a University place'.

As above, there are no spaces for this year. Kicking up a fuss is not going to make one available.
Move on - you can ask if they can confirm a place for 2021 for next year (from your existing application) or you can approach other Unis elsewhere, or you can start an entirely new application for 2021 entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending