The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by royalty1702
epq doesn't count as an a level

OP knows but it is still an extended essay that can get u lower offers at uni so it is still important
Original post by Sweet Heart bab
Some uni counts tho

Nope they honestly don’t care how many a-levels you have as long as it’s the standard 3 (or the equivalent of 3) a-levels! UCL is the only uni I recall that wants a language even if the degree you’re applying to has nothing to do with languages.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by justjas33
Nope they honestly don’t care how many a-levels you have as long as it’s the standard 3 (or the equivalent of 3) a-levels! UCL is the only uni I recall that wants a language even if the degree you’re applying to has nothing to do with languages.

It's only desired at GCSE and if you don't have it then you just have to do a course when you're there.
Original post by ....me
Epq is still a course which you get graded on at the end of the year. Think about it as 4 and a half then. Is that realistic? Work experience and enrichments on top of that.

An EPQ is technically an AS level so you could say 5 Alevels then one AS level
Original post by yhuss98
An EPQ is technically an AS level so you could say 5 Alevels then one AS level

Technically its not :smile: - it's a Level 3 Extended Project Qualification - but it's certainly not an A level.
Original post by Compost
Technically its not :smile: - it's a Level 3 Extended Project Qualification - but it's certainly not an A level.

I’m talking about equivalency? It offers the same UCAS points as that of an AS level would? So it is equivalent to an AS level not an A Level, as OP said the person was doing 6 a levels but an EPQ is the equiv. as an AS not an A Level :smile:
Original post by yhuss98
I’m talking about equivalency? It offers the same UCAS points as that of an AS level would? So it is equivalent to an AS level not an A Level, as OP said the person was doing 6 a levels but an EPQ is the equiv. as an AS not an A Level :smile:

Actually it doesn't offer the same UCAS points as an AS - it's slightly better (plus the A* is available) https://www.ucas.com/file/63536/download?token=sxmdfCS- but I agree it is better thought of with AS rather than with A levels.
Original post by Compost
It's only desired at GCSE and if you don't have it then you just have to do a course when you're there.

Ah right, thank you for the clarification! In that case, OP’s friend doesn’t have to have a language at all at A-Level
Original post by Compost
Actually it doesn't offer the same UCAS points as an AS - it's slightly better (plus the A* is available) https://www.ucas.com/file/63536/download?token=sxmdfCS- but I agree it is better thought of with AS rather than with A levels.

PRISOM

Yup, most sixth forms/colleges/sixth form colleges run the EPQ during AS. At A-Level students already have heaps on their plates with uni applications, coursework and general stress lol, AS is the best time to get it done :smile:
Don't do extra subjects if you only need 3 for uni:confused:
Original post by WiseWomen
Don't do extra subjects if you only need 3 for uni:confused:

nah it can be useful. I got an A* in my 4th subject, makes my results look better.
the tendency on this site is to be overwhelmingly against > 3 A-levels but breadth can be useful, a fourth can be a safety net, and a very small minority of courses offer based on or encourage 4, (quite common if you do fm and take maths in y12 and fm in y13 too) etc. I don't think there's no reason at all to take 4, but more than that does get excessive. also if you're unsure on your choices - it is far preferable to start with 4 then drop down than choose 3, realise you don't like one too late, and possibly be stuffed. Just thought I'd put that out there.

And anyway, the workload of maths+fm+phys+chem+epq wouldn't quite be the same as 5 different a-levels. The workload of maths+fm I'd say is less than 2 unrelated A-levels and the EPQ isn't the workload of a whole A-level either. I'd say start with all 4, see how she copes, then drop down if need be. The EPQ would be the first candidate since it doesn't always reduce offers, only one of the unis I applied to considered it, the others may have liked to but viewed it as unfair since not everyone has the opportunity to complete one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Compost

Ohh I thought an A was the highest grade at EPQ did they change this recently - maybe when A levels changed to non-linear?
this isnt helpful is it?
its just u lot arguing about whether the EPQ is an AS level or not but thats not constructive or helpful to the thread starters situation
Original post by owlknightdragon
this isnt helpful is it?
its just u lot arguing about whether the EPQ is an AS level or not but thats not constructive or helpful to the thread starters situation

Lol true that. Sorry haha
But At least OP should know that 6 A Levels isnt right rather
It is 5 A levels and then an AS level (or if u prefer 5 A Levels and EPQ)
Reply 35
this isnt helpful is it?

Yup hahah that’s why I didn’t even bother replying. 🤠
well shes already taken an a level early that knocks it down to 5
epq isnt an a level so that knocks it down to 4 which is pretty much what every a level student starts off with in sixth form

4 A Levels is for top level students who are Grade 8 +
Most do 3 A Levels

Latest