The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSnail
Hey chaps :smile: I'm a HYMS grad (2019). Happy to try and answer any questions you have. Bear in mind I'm a 'tad' old now so bit out of date with application specifics, but happy to try and answer what I can for you! Good luck! (Hyms is the best....obviously :biggrin:)

Hey :biggrin: Thank you so much for offering to help us out! You are incredibly kind to do so! :smile:
What do you think makes HYMS unique to other medical schools?
How did you find the social life for HYMS, was it good?
Would you say you enjoyed the PBL in HYMS, if so why?
Is there any tips you could give for the interview?
Oh and what's the best/good things about HYMS and the bad things about it?
I'm really sorry for asking so many questions 😂
No problem - pleased to help if I can :smile:

I think the balance between PBL/lectures/group work/practicals is really good but the best thing has to be the super early clinical exposure. I think it's fantastic and really helps give context to everything you are learning.

There are certainly plenty of things to get involved with in terms of societies. York and Hull are quite different in their vibes - I'm a Yorkie so will be very bias here. I was certainly happy!

I did yes. I enjoyed working in small groups. It's a chance to bring together everything you've learnt that week (from lectures etc) and just discuss it with your colleagues. It feels like a safe space to ask questions and you all bounce off each other. The groups will have different levels of experience (grads, school leavers etc). As a school leaver I found the knowledge base of the grads really helpful!

Be yourself. Cringe? Yes. Obvious? It may seem so. But seriously - HYMS are after people-people. Don't try and be something you are not or something you think they want you to be.

Good - PBL (like I've said), the small cohort compared to other med schools, early clinical exposure, Yorkshire is super friendly, supportive supervisors, good chances to explore areas of interest, the banter between Hullies and Yorkies....it's just good fun!

Bad - It's not a traditional course in the 'death by lecture' sense, so if that's what you are looking for it may not be for you (personally I didn't like the idea of nearly entirely lectures), there is no dissection if you have a real passion for anatomy (although the prosections are all you need and there are opportunities to do dissection if you want through SSIPs etc)....can't really think of anything else. I guess the only other thing is as someone who is now looking at post-grad exams (MRCP) the more clinical focus of HYMS means I'm having to put a bit more work in compared to my peers who went to more traditional medschools. But would I swap having gone to HYMS to not have to do that? Absolutely not :biggrin:

Hope that helps :smile:
...Bad - ...can't really think of anything else...

The road between Hull and York deserves a place in hell :angry:

Original post by builderxyz
...What do you think makes HYMS unique to other medical schools?...

There aren't many "dual campus" med schools (yet, there are more and more) and it's an advantage (despite the A1079) - you get to use both Uni's facilities and explore both cities.

Original post by builderxyz
...Is there any tips you could give for the interview?...

Mention the buzz phrase "Early Clinical Placement". They love it :lol:

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)
No problem - pleased to help if I can :smile:

I think the balance between PBL/lectures/group work/practicals is really good but the best thing has to be the super early clinical exposure. I think it's fantastic and really helps give context to everything you are learning.

There are certainly plenty of things to get involved with in terms of societies. York and Hull are quite different in their vibes - I'm a Yorkie so will be very bias here. I was certainly happy!

I did yes. I enjoyed working in small groups. It's a chance to bring together everything you've learnt that week (from lectures etc) and just discuss it with your colleagues. It feels like a safe space to ask questions and you all bounce off each other. The groups will have different levels of experience (grads, school leavers etc). As a school leaver I found the knowledge base of the grads really helpful!

Be yourself. Cringe? Yes. Obvious? It may seem so. But seriously - HYMS are after people-people. Don't try and be something you are not or something you think they want you to be.

Good - PBL (like I've said), the small cohort compared to other med schools, early clinical exposure, Yorkshire is super friendly, supportive supervisors, good chances to explore areas of interest, the banter between Hullies and Yorkies....it's just good fun!

Bad - It's not a traditional course in the 'death by lecture' sense, so if that's what you are looking for it may not be for you (personally I didn't like the idea of nearly entirely lectures), there is no dissection if you have a real passion for anatomy (although the prosections are all you need and there are opportunities to do dissection if you want through SSIPs etc)....can't really think of anything else. I guess the only other thing is as someone who is now looking at post-grad exams (MRCP) the more clinical focus of HYMS means I'm having to put a bit more work in compared to my peers who went to more traditional medschools. But would I swap having gone to HYMS to not have to do that? Absolutely not :biggrin:

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much for this :biggrin: It really helped! You've been so thorough and helpful!:smile:
😂
Thank you for this! :biggrin: It really helped! :smile:
Edit: Tried to give you a rep but it doesn't work :s-smilie:
Haha...that road is terrible...it's true!
Hi my stats
8888777766 -GCSE and my ucat is relatively low 607.5 avg total 2430 and Band 2 would i get an interview ?
Does anyone know if Hull York Medical School usually accepts AAB for predicted grades? They say they do on their website, but is this not very likely or is it just for contextual offers?
Original post by jenniffer2003
Hi my stats
8888777766 -GCSE and my ucat is relatively low 607.5 avg total 2430 and Band 2 would i get an interview ?

This year's cut off was 59.33 and presuming no contextual points I make your score just below that - it would be risky.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mkumar2003
Does anyone know if Hull York Medical School usually accepts AAB for predicted grades? They say they do on their website, but is this not very likely or is it just for contextual offers?

Their web site implies that it is fine for all, you could email them to clarify?
Original post by Laycity
This year's cut off was 59.33 and presuming no contextual points I make your score just below that - it would be risky.

Hi,

Sorry to bother, but I haven't been able to find how exactly they score. I know the percentage importance of each thing (UCAT, GCSEs, SJT) but not how they award points.
Original post by Laycity

when will this years cutoff come out
Original post by aqeel27
Hi,

Sorry to bother, but I haven't been able to find how exactly they score. I know the percentage importance of each thing (UCAT, GCSEs, SJT) but not how they award points.

HYMS are very secretive on how they score people and refuse to divulge much information despite numerous requests. Over the years applicants have gathered snippets of info which suggests 4 points per UCAT decile and 3.75 points for an 8/9 at GCSE and 3 points for a 7. Look at last year’s thread for more information.

Check last year’s thread for timelines, I’m guessing about the time interviews were sent out.
Reply 34

isn't 59.33 for 2020 entry ?
Original post by Koala3
isn't 59.33 for 2020 entry ?

Yes
Reply 36
Original post by Laycity
Yes

Are we expecting this to be similar for this years cohort
Original post by Koala3
Are we expecting this to be similar for this years cohort

Nobody can say, there's a possibility cut offs everywhere will be nudged up due to the number of deferrals med schools are being forced to make.
Hi, with 888888876 and 665 Band 2, would I be likely to get an interview?
Reply 39
Original post by mwindram
Hi, with 888888876 and 665 Band 2, would I be likely to get an interview?

Probably, but your B2 would count against you post interview where SJT is worth 15% of the score

Latest

Trending

Trending