The Student Room Group

UK justice strikes again: part 2

After the shambles that is the PC Harper case, and the piss poor sentencing, the judges that brought you that, also have this!

Two ‘sword killers’ have been sentenced today. They hacked a man to death with over 100 strikes of a samurai sword. Both, are complete wastes of space and we’re both high at the time.

Their punishment for hacking an innocent man to death?

One sentenced to ‘life’ which isn’t life because the minimum is only 22 years, and the other one was given the same, but with a minimum of 16 years.

British judges strike again!

Now I invite all the usual liberal nuthugging judge lovers into this thread to justify this sentencing! Please!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imlikeahermit
After the shambles that is the PC Harper case, and the piss poor sentencing, the judges that brought you that, also have this!

Two ‘sword killers’ have been sentenced today. They hacked a man to death with over 100 strikes of a samurai sword. Both, are complete wastes of space and we’re both high at the time.

Their punishment for hacking an innocent man to death?

One sentenced to ‘life’ which isn’t life because the minimum is only 22 years, and the other one was given the same, but with a minimum of 16 years.

British judges strike again!

Now I invite all the usual liberal nuthugging judge lovers into this thread to justify this sentencing! Please!

Except you fail to understand that criminal law in this country is statute based, which means it is parliament and the government who create them including sentencing. The judges merely apply the guidelines, but dont let that get in the way of blaming the wrong people.

This has been explained to you on a number of occasions, but it doesnt go in.
Original post by 999tigger
Except you fail to understand that criminal law in this country is statute based, which means it is parliament and the government who create them including sentencing. The judges merely apply the guidelines, but dont let that get in the way of blaming the wrong people.

This has been explained to you on a number of occasions, but it doesnt go in.

Except that judges continually fail to apply appropriate sentencing which is the point missing. Judges can give up to ‘whole life orders more for murder, which I would argue in this case applies.

Blame the government all you want, but the minimum sentences on this case, and the PC Harper case are nowhere near the maximum.

You’re making excuses for poor judgement, as usual.
Link because you failed to include it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-53998825
Except that judges continually fail to apply appropriate sentencing which is the point missing. Judges can give up to ‘whole life orders more for murder, which I would argue in this case applies.

Blame the government all you want, but the minimum sentences on this case, and the PC Harper case are nowhere near the maximum.

You’re making excuses for poor judgement, as usual.

It remains open to appeal the sentence and review the judges decision.
The sentence just has to be reasonably within sentencing guidelines.

There you go.
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/judge
Original post by 999tigger
It remains open to appeal the sentence and review the judges decision.
The sentence just has to be reasonably within sentencing guidelines.

There you go.
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/judge

Reasonably within sentencing guidelines? So in your eyes hacking someone to death is worth only 22 years in prison? Incidentally did you know that the average time a person spends in prison for murder in this country is only 16 and a half years? I suppose that seems a bit much to you as well?

You libtards, you never learn. Just waiting now for the rest of the criminal sympathisers to come out the woodwork!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick question: how old are you? I ask because you seem to be unaware of how long 16 and 22 years actually are.
Original post by SHallowvale
Quick question: how old are you? I ask because you seem to be unaware of how long 16 and 22 years actually are.

Here’s the next one!

My age is irrelevant however I am older than the 22 year sentence.

Will you ask the same question to his wife? Who now has no husband while these people get out of prison at a maximum of 40?
Here’s the next one!

My age is irrelevant however I am older than the 22 year sentence.

Will you ask the same question to his wife? Who now has no husband while these people get out of prison at a maximum of 40?

Then it is odd how you don't seem to grasp how long 22 years is (even more odd how you're older than 22 and still use the term "libtard").

The older of the two will be wasting 22 years of their life away in prison. That's longer than they have ever been alive. You act like they are merely getting community service.
Then it is odd how you don't seem to grasp how long 22 years is (even more odd how you're older than 22 and still use the term "libtard").

The older of the two will be wasting 22 years of their life away in prison. That's longer than they have ever been alive. You act like they are merely getting community service.

They hacked an innocent person to death with a Samurai sword. You are acting as though they only committed a petty theft. They should have received a whole life sentence.

I use that term because it’s true. As long as you justify a murderous criminal that’s how stupid you are. It’s odd, because you, and others like you are so emotionless when it comes to cases like this. However I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot would you feel the same? Your support of their sentencing is bizarre.
You've (no doubt deliberately) ignored a key word in the article.

"Minimum".

Those tariffs are the minimum they'll be imprisoned. It could well be more, and a parole board will decide that. Not you, thankfully.

You bang on endlessly about justice, but that's not what you want. You want revenge. And there's no place for that in a civilised society. You're the problem.
(edited 3 years ago)
They hacked an innocent person to death with a Samurai sword. You are acting as though they only committed a petty theft. They should have received a whole life sentence.

I use that term because it’s true. As long as you justify a murderous criminal that’s how stupid you are. It’s odd, because you, and others like you are so emotionless when it comes to cases like this. However I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot would you feel the same? Your support of their sentencing is bizarre.

Correct, and now they'll be spending the good part of their life locked up and unable to harm anyone else. This is not the kind of sentence you'd give to petty theft. Also, life sentences can not be given to people who are younger than 21. If you dislike that, take it up with the government, not judges.

At no point have I justified the murder. These two people are sacks of **** and it's good to see that they'll be away from the public for a very long time. I take it as a complement that I do not have the same emotions about this case that you have; I'd rather not be so outraged by this story that I confuse support for the sentence with support for the murder.
Original post by Drewski
You've (no doubt deliberately) ignored a key word in the article.

"Minimum".

Those tariffs are the minimum they'll be imprisoned. It could well be more, and a parole board will decide that. Not you, thankfully.

You bang on endlessly about justice, but that's not what you want. You want revenge. And there's no place for that in a civilised society. You're the problem.

I’d disagree, as long as you and others keep allowing murderers to only spend 16 years in prison we’ll have an issue. You, are the problem.
I’d disagree, as long as you and others keep allowing murderers to only spend 16 years in prison we’ll have an issue. You, are the problem.

Here, you obviously have some problems with English, so I'll help you out; https://www.google.com/search?q=dictionary+minimum&oq=dictionary+minimum&aqs=chrome..69i57.2140j0j7&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

You obviously have some issues with empathy. Fancy telling this innocent mans wife that his killers only deserve 22 years in prison?

They will be out in 22 years time, in fact, one of them 16. We haven’t got enough prison space as it is. Or are you so naive that you think they’ll actually serve more? :clap2:
You obviously have some issues with empathy. Fancy telling this innocent mans wife that his killers only deserve 22 years in prison?

They will be out in 22 years time, in fact, one of them 16. We haven’t got enough prison space as it is. Or are you so naive that you think they’ll actually serve more? :clap2:

I think you misunderstand the point of the justice system. If someone murdered a person you care about you wouldn’t respond objectively hence why we have judges and juries who are the objective parties. There’s a good reason for Lady Justice often being depicted blindfolded.
Original post by Underscore__
I think you misunderstand the point of the justice system. If someone murdered a person you care about you wouldn’t respond objectively hence why we have judges and juries who are the objective parties. There’s a good reason for Lady Justice often being depicted blindfolded.

Don't be silly. Punishments should be given on the whims of the victim's families or, even better, the whims of some angry forum user who thinks they can be the arbiter of what is an is not suitable punishment.

Clearly that's a fair system.

You keep saying "only" as if 22 years is not a long time...?

If someone I loved was killed in a similar fashion I would be satisfied if the murder got 22 years.
Reply 17
While someone can be released on life licence after their minimum term is up, that comes with a number of restrictions. A life sentence may not mean a person spends the entire time in prison, but they will certainly be "under sentence" for the rest of their lives and can be pulled back to prison for even relatively minor breaches of their conditions. It isn't freedom.
Don't be silly. Punishments should be given on the whims of the victim's families or, even better, the whims of some angry forum user who thinks they can be the arbiter of what is an is not suitable punishment.

Clearly that's a fair system.

You keep saying "only" as if 22 years is not a long time...?

If someone I loved was killed in a similar fashion I would be satisfied if the murder got 22 years.

I think it’s very easy for you to say that, however heaven forbid it ever came about, but if it did I think you’d feel a lot different.

I should also point out that 22 years because of the age of the criminals is not a long time. Both out by 40.

Either way, cold blooded murder, which is what this is, should receive a lifetime sentence, which means life. However as we’ve seen on this thread for some reason, some people are so stupid that they believe that murderers deserve a second chance. Change, the improvement of murder rates etc will never happen if there’s no deterrent, which, there isn’t.
I think it’s very easy for you to say that, however heaven forbid it ever came about, but if it did I think you’d feel a lot different.

I should also point out that 22 years because of the age of the criminals is not a long time. Both out by 40.

Either way, cold blooded murder, which is what this is, should receive a lifetime sentence, which means life. However as we’ve seen on this thread for some reason, some people are so stupid that they believe that murderers deserve a second chance. Change, the improvement of murder rates etc will never happen if there’s no deterrent, which, there isn’t.

Both out by 40... at which point they will be much older and will have wasted a very good portion of their life being locked away in a prison.

You seem to act like this is a just a slap on the wrist. Would you enjoy spending 22 years in prison?

Quick Reply

Latest