The Student Room Group

Looking at going to uni next year REALLY need advice!

I'm REALLY worried about even THINKING about uni.
Haven't applied just looked into a social care course

I can live at home rent-free and save money, I have a job that has other students that are flexible so wouldn't be an issue. I'm also learning to drive (Test day is near) so can drive to the uni (30-45mins drive)

I'm extremely anxious, I have low self-esteem and feel like I won't do well at anything I do an option I was thinking of is doing access to HE social work course to get a taste of it and go back into education slower then throw myself at it. I didn't sleep well as I was thinking of all the issues I could face. 'not being good enough' 'debt' 'being alone' (I have a bf and my best friend) but yeah I really need advice here.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm REALLY worried about even THINKING about uni.
Haven't applied just looked into a social care course

I can live at home rent-free and save money, I have a job that has other students that are flexible so wouldn't be an issue. I'm also learning to drive (Test day is near) so can drive to the uni (30-45mins drive)

I'm extremely anxious, I have low self-esteem and feel like I won't do well at anything I do an option I was thinking of is doing access to HE social work course to get a taste of it and go back into education slower then throw myself at it. I didn't sleep well as I was thinking of all the issues I could face. 'not being good enough' 'debt' 'being alone' (I have a bf and my best friend) but yeah I really need advice here.

Hi there!

I really understand how stressful thinking about university can be! It's a massive change in your life and it's no wonder it brings these feelings out.

Firstly, I'd say remember that you have time. Your UCAS application won't be due until the 15th January, so you have a good few months to do your research and work out your options. Why not take a blank sheet of paper and write down things you like about the courses you research. Seeing so many positive things written down might help to get you excited about studying, as perhaps its the fear of the unknown that is playing a part here too? Take your time and don't put too much pressure on yourself to make all your decisions right now, as it's not necessary and will be counterproductive. You have loads of options and once you whittle them down a bit more I'm sure you'll feel a bit more in control of your options.

Do a little bit of research in to the profession too. Pop some emails to tutors on the course/local charities maybe to see if they can provide some insight in to what awaits you after you graduate. In a way this will maybe motivate you knowing what's at the end of your degree too! Social work is a challenging profession to enter, but also massively rewarding and extremely impactful in people's lives.

You are hugely capable, and supported by your partner and friends who love you and I'm sure will encourage you to succeed :smile: Anyone considering a career in Social Work has a good heart, in my opinion.

Good luck with it, and good luck with your driving test :wink:

-Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi there!

I really understand how stressful thinking about university can be! It's a massive change in your life and it's no wonder it brings these feelings out.

Firstly, I'd say remember that you have time. Your UCAS application won't be due until the 15th January, so you have a good few months to do your research and work out your options. Why not take a blank sheet of paper and write down things you like about the courses you research. Seeing so many positive things written down might help to get you excited about studying, as perhaps its the fear of the unknown that is playing a part here too? Take your time and don't put too much pressure on yourself to make all your decisions right now, as it's not necessary and will be counterproductive. You have loads of options and once you whittle them down a bit more I'm sure you'll feel a bit more in control of your options.

Do a little bit of research in to the profession too. Pop some emails to tutors on the course/local charities maybe to see if they can provide some insight in to what awaits you after you graduate. In a way this will maybe motivate you knowing what's at the end of your degree too! Social work is a challenging profession to enter, but also massively rewarding and extremely impactful in people's lives.

You are hugely capable, and supported by your partner and friends who love you and I'm sure will encourage you to succeed :smile: Anyone considering a career in Social Work has a good heart, in my opinion.

Good luck with it, and good luck with your driving test :wink:

-Caitlin :h:

Thank you so much for a reply -

I'm one of those people who are very anxious, hate change, feel as if I'm doomed to fail when I don't try (I know I am capable of things I was a manager/assistant manager and ran a fast food store on my own for a few months at 19/20 yrs old) I'm more scared of being stressed all the time as I CAN work under pressure if I know exactly what I'm doing/ been taught to do X. I do need to visit my local Drs about my anxiety, I don't think I have a disorder but I need something to help me get over my issues as it stops me from doing this or that or applying for that as I feel I'll mess up or be made to feel stupid. It does affect my sleep, eating, and life. I just don't want to drown in work and never see my partner or best friend in case I need that support.

Think it draws from college where I and my partner never spoke much as we were too busy with college work. I'm also very competitive in nature and like to perfect things (perfectionist I guess) but with anxieties and wanting to be 100% best at everything it's like self-sabotage as I put myself down for 1 fail or panic when something unexpected comes along.

I'm looking between children's nursing, something child-related (Love kids, so funny and see the world differently). Social work is something I feel I will enjoy I love learning about different ways people live, I'm a bit nosey so..., but I like helping people I love listening to peoples issues/storeys (weird I know but it takes me away from my own issues I suppose.

But am I good enough? will I fall apart doing a huge amount of work?

These are my issues.

I'm one of those people who are very anxious, hate change, feel as if I'm doomed to fail when I don't try (I know I am capable of things I was a manager/assistant manager and ran a fast food store on my own for a few months at 19/20 yrs old) I'm more scared of being stressed all the time as I CAN work under pressure if I know exactly what I'm doing/ been taught to do X. I do need to visit my local Drs about my anxiety, I don't think I have a disorder but I need something to help me get over my issues as it stops me from doing this or that or applying for that as I feel I'll mess up or be made to feel stupid. It does affect my sleep, eating, and life. I just don't want to drown in work and never see my partner or best friend in case I need that support.

Think it draws from college where I and my partner never spoke much as we were too busy with college work. I'm also very competitive in nature and like to perfect things (perfectionist I guess) but with anxieties and wanting to be 100% best at everything it's like self-sabotage as I put myself down for 1 fail or panic when something unexpected comes along.

I'm looking between children's nursing, something child-related (Love kids, so funny and see the world differently). Social work is something I feel I will enjoy I love learning about different ways people live, I'm a bit nosey so..., but I like helping people I love listening to peoples issues/storeys (weird I know but it takes me away from my own issues I suppose.

These are my issues.

I know what you mean. If you're already aware that you can be anxious then it's totally understandable that these feelings would come up when you're considering something like this. Talking to your doctor could be an excellent idea! I bet this would really help you talk things out and put everything on the table. There's also some great resources provided by local charities you can call, and often for free if you're not able to get an appointment at the moment. A quick google search can lead you to some of those!

It sounds like this may be something that you may need to manage both now and during your studies. Try communicating with your partner about these things (maybe show them your post here to give them an insight in to your feelings?), and hopefully the more aware of this they are the more understanding they will be. It can be so hard to communicate when you're feeling overwhelmed- I've also felt similarly in the past but airing things out can really help. It's much easier said than done though!

One piece of advice I'd definitely look in to- once you've narrowed down your university choices and are sure on the ones you'd like to apply to, get in touch with their Student Wellbeing services. Given that you may be anxious throughout your studies- make the effectiveness of these services one of the factors in your decision making. You may need them, and you want to know that the support they have in place is what you need.

You are 100% good enough! Don't let your mind stop you from achieving so many great things and following good, meaningful career paths. It won't be easy, but it will be sooooo worth it if it's what you want to do :smile: Think of how proud of yourself you'll be when you're graduating!

Hope this helps a bit? I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. Like I say, it may be the fear of the unknown that's overwhelming at the moment and there are loads of 'what ifs' - but once you start to do your research I hope that your worries start to be overtaken a little bit for excitement to do the course!

- Caitlin :h:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
I know what you mean. If you're already aware that you can be anxious then it's totally understandable that these feelings would come up when you're considering something like this. Talking to your doctor could be an excellent idea! I bet this would really help you talk things out and put everything on the table. There's also some great resources provided by local charities you can call, and often for free if you're not able to get an appointment at the moment. A quick google search can lead you to some of those!

It sounds like this may be something that you may need to manage both now and during your studies. Try communicating with your partner about these things (maybe show them your post here to give them an insight in to your feelings?), and hopefully the more aware of this they are the more understanding they will be. It can be so hard to communicate when you're feeling overwhelmed- I've also felt similarly in the past but airing things out can really help. It's much easier said than done though!

One piece of advice I'd definitely look in to- once you've narrowed down your university choices and are sure on the ones you'd like to apply to, get in touch with their Student Wellbeing services. Given that you may be anxious throughout your studies- make the effectiveness of these services one of the factors in your decision making. You may need them, and you want to know that the support they have in place is what you need.

You are 100% good enough! Don't let your mind stop you from achieving so many great things and following good, meaningful career paths. It won't be easy, but it will be sooooo worth it if it's what you want to do :smile: Think of how proud of yourself you'll be when you're graduating!

Hope this helps a bit? I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. Like I say, it may be the fear of the unknown that's overwhelming at the moment and there are loads of 'what ifs' - but once you start to do your research I hope that your worries start to be overtaken a little bit for excitement to do the course!

Thank you :smile: I was thinking of hertfordshire as I can drive there, I also love my home comforts, my dog being one <3 I'm not interested in partying, but I might join a club if I do go. I work at Tescos and honestly I love my co-workers there and it sometimes puts me at ease doing easy tasks and unloading lorries! It keeps my mind off of things for my shift and I have a laugh and joke with my co-workers. I feel I need something to further my life or career as I feel I'm stuck in retail (don't mind it but it wont help for the future. I think although may be stressful I feel keeping my job at Tescos while studying with force me to take breaks. (I'm known to stress and fuss and do all my work in one go so I don't think about all the stuff thats on the list) I'm good at organisation in general and I feel like if I learn something I like It may be easier.

I was just looking into doing a access to HE health and social course yes it will push me back a year but it may give me that confidence to go onto the full uni course and prepare for what I'm in for. :smile: I may talk to my dad about it and see what he thinks (he knows me best) and yes I don't want to move away from home as its a place I can come enjoy quiet, get a coffee at my cafe, see my partner and I save a lot of money in doing so and live in more comfort.

I see posts of people saying "oh but independance etc." Yes but I am already pretty independant, I can cook, I pay for all my driving lessons and will pay for my car I've built savings and I'm sensible enough to know what to do whenever I decide to move out. :smile:
Thank you :smile: I was thinking of hertfordshire as I can drive there, I also love my home comforts, my dog being one <3 I'm not interested in partying, but I might join a club if I do go. I work at Tescos and honestly I love my co-workers there and it sometimes puts me at ease doing easy tasks and unloading lorries! It keeps my mind off of things for my shift and I have a laugh and joke with my co-workers. I feel I need something to further my life or career as I feel I'm stuck in retail (don't mind it but it wont help for the future. I think although may be stressful I feel keeping my job at Tescos while studying with force me to take breaks. (I'm known to stress and fuss and do all my work in one go so I don't think about all the stuff thats on the list) I'm good at organisation in general and I feel like if I learn something I like It may be easier.

I was just looking into doing a access to HE health and social course yes it will push me back a year but it may give me that confidence to go onto the full uni course and prepare for what I'm in for. :smile: I may talk to my dad about it and see what he thinks (he knows me best) and yes I don't want to move away from home as its a place I can come enjoy quiet, get a coffee at my cafe, see my partner and I save a lot of money in doing so and live in more comfort.

I see posts of people saying "oh but independance etc." Yes but I am already pretty independant, I can cook, I pay for all my driving lessons and will pay for my car I've built savings and I'm sensible enough to know what to do whenever I decide to move out. :smile:

That sounds perfect! You definitely don't NEED to move out. I stayed at home when I started uni and just made sure to attend all my induction classes to meet coursemates and get to know people and it worked for me. If you want to stay at home and commute then go with whatever makes you feel most comfortable.. and there are definite perks to come home to dog cuddles :wink:

Good idea to talk to your dad for advice too- as you say he knows you really well and will be able to give great guidance. You've lots of options even if you want to stay local I'm sure! And that's perhaps what you're needing- a 'fresh start' in terms of picking up a new degree, but not so drastically out of your comfort zone that it all becomes too much. You can keep all the things you know and love, and introduce another one alongside them!

Take care! Wishing you loads of luck and success in whatever you do :biggrin:

Hello there,
I m kinda new but not that new in these types of form but as I was reading I heard that you are applying/going to the University of Hertfordshire which is my 1st choice too (my dad graduated from there too) but I'm still at my year 12 but I chose health and social for nursing (IDK)because I couldn't choose core subject like science. Now, I don't know if it is possible for me to even think about nursing. However, I have passed my GCSE subject with average grades.
Reply 7
Hello there,
I m kinda new but not that new in these types of form but as I was reading I heard that you are applying/going to the University of Hertfordshire which is my 1st choice too (my dad graduated from there too) but I'm still at my year 12 but I chose health and social for nursing (IDK)because I couldn't choose core subject like science. Now, I don't know if it is possible for me to even think about nursing. However, I have passed my GCSE subject with average grades.

Hi, I was inbetween subjects and have been out of education for 4 years nearly (21) so I have decided to go with my 2nd subject choice which is early years education 0-5) I'll be doing foundation 2 year part-time course as it is better for me as I can keep my current job and take things slower (not run into the deep end and drown) also after the 2 years depending on grades I can go onto the 2nd or 3rd year of honors degree :smile: Which I think is the BEST option for myself. I'll be in hearforsshire college then 3rd year in hearfordshire uni. (the course is with hearfordshire uni just taught different colleges. I feel ALOT less stressed now and excited for next year! :biggrin:

These are my issues.

omg this is literally meeee. im going uni next week and im so scared but i have had a job and run a shop in retail by myself at the age of 18 coz i was a keyholder and im 19 now going next week to uni but i dont wanna go anymore

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending