The Student Room Group

Music and Korean Studies at Sheffield University

Hi, I'm planning on going to Sheffield Uni in 2021 to study music and korean studies (this specific course). I've seen a lot of people say how the classes start big and then shrink over time as they aren't cut out for it. I have been studying Korean over lockdown and can read and speak the hangul alphabet. I am studying politics, textiles and spanish for a level rn. Can someone please give an honest review of the course and what they wrote for their personal statement

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I finished my first year doing music and Korean studies in June, and I am preparing to go into the second year.I personally really like the course, and especially with music there are a lot of different options and directions one can choose to go, for example performance, composing, musicology, or ethnomusicology to name a few.it's definitely good to have done some Korean before starting as it is really fast paced and can be difficult to keep up with at times. The teachers are really good and do their absolutely best to help you, and you can always send them an email whenever you are confused about something or have any questions.Hope that answers some of the questions you might have about it! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nadsrmo
Hi, I finished my first year doing music and Korean studies in June, and I am preparing to go into the second year.I personally really like the course, and especially with music there are a lot of different options and directions one can choose to go, for example performance, composing, musicology, or ethnomusicology to name a few.it's definitely good to have done some Korean before starting as it is really fast paced and can be difficult to keep up with at times. The teachers are really good and do their absolutely best to help you, and you can always send them an email whenever you are confused about something or have any questions.Hope that answers some of the questions you might have about it! :smile:

Hi! Thank you for replying. I've been trying to find posts on this specific course but it's either music or korean studies, but not both. I've started learning korean, and I can read hangul and read along but I would not be able to know exactly what it means. I didn't choose a level music but I am doing grade 8 piano as that is now an option and I produce music at home. When you applied, did you do music a level or did you do grade 8 in an instrument?
Reply 3
I am an international student so we don't have the grade system on instruments, however I think the requirement is to have passed the grade 8 on your instrument and then you should be fine. As far as I know, Sheffield doesn't require you to have done music as an A-level only the grade 8 if you're doing performanceit's great that you've already learned hangul, I'd also definitely recommend just practicing reading, learning some very basic grammar and vocabulary just so it won't be too overwhelming once uni starts.
Original post by nadsrmo
I am an international student so we don't have the grade system on instruments, however I think the requirement is to have passed the grade 8 on your instrument and then you should be fine. As far as I know, Sheffield doesn't require you to have done music as an A-level only the grade 8 if you're doing performanceit's great that you've already learned hangul, I'd also definitely recommend just practicing reading, learning some very basic grammar and vocabulary just so it won't be too overwhelming once uni starts.

Ok great! What is accommodation like there as well? I don't live locally so if I decide to go to Sheffield I would definitely have to accommodate
Reply 5
Original post by headinthemusic
Ok great! What is accommodation like there as well? I don't live locally so if I decide to go to Sheffield I would definitely have to accommodate

I lived in Ranmoor and thought it was quite nice, you have everything you could need there. it's about a 25-30 minute walk away from the uni so I'd definitely go for city accommodation of you want something a bit closer to the uni.
Original post by nadsrmo
I lived in Ranmoor and thought it was quite nice, you have everything you could need there. it's about a 25-30 minute walk away from the uni so I'd definitely go for city accommodation of you want something a bit closer to the uni.

I don't mind about distance that much. Do you have a roommate? I'm nervous about roommates and making friends if I go.

I was also wondering about what you have learnt in the first year and what the exams are like?
Reply 7
I don't mind about distance that much. Do you have a roommate? I'm nervous about roommates and making friends if I go.

I was also wondering about what you have learnt in the first year and what the exams are like?

yeah you normally live with 5-9 other people and I personally got along really well with my flatmates. and you'll make friends with people on your course, joining societies can be a good way to meet new people as well.

in first year i learned some basic grammar in korean, and the exams are split between speaking, writing and listening. they can be quite difficult, but it's all about preparing well for it and the teachers really help you with that as well. for music, the only "exam" I did was my end of year recital where you have to prepare 12 minutes worth of repertoire. in all the other modules we only had to do written assesments such as essays.
Original post by nadsrmo
yeah you normally live with 5-9 other people and I personally got along really well with my flatmates. and you'll make friends with people on your course, joining societies can be a good way to meet new people as well.

in first year i learned some basic grammar in korean, and the exams are split between speaking, writing and listening. they can be quite difficult, but it's all about preparing well for it and the teachers really help you with that as well. for music, the only "exam" I did was my end of year recital where you have to prepare 12 minutes worth of repertoire. in all the other modules we only had to do written assesments such as essays.

What instrument do you play? I play piano but I want to focus more on production using DAW like Logic Pro X. Will the course cover that as well?
Reply 9
What instrument do you play? I play piano but I want to focus more on production using DAW like Logic Pro X. Will the course cover that as well?

I sing. I didn't do composing so I am not sure what programmes they use, sorry.
Original post by nadsrmo
I sing. I didn't do composing so I am not sure what programmes they use, sorry.

That's okay. Can you choose what areas you want to do in music then?
Reply 11
That's okay. Can you choose what areas you want to do in music then?

yes you can. i personally chose performance and musicology. there are many different modules to choose from exploring so many different areas of music.
Original post by nadsrmo
yes you can. i personally chose performance and musicology. there are many different modules to choose from exploring so many different areas of music.

How many modules do you take per year? I'm looking at the website now but I find it very confusing haha. Also, when you go to Korean, do you decide which Uni you go to and accomodation etc?
Reply 13
you choose 120 credits per year split between korean and music, so in my first year i had 4 korean modules and 4 music modules.

for the year abroad you get to choose between some different universities, and you can choose whether you want to go for uni accommodation in Korea or if you want to find your own place. You get a few breefing on this before you go and older students also help out alot with sharing their experiences and what they did when they went on their year abroad.
Reply 14
you choose 120 credits per year split between korean and music, so in my first year i had 4 korean modules and 4 music modules.

for the year abroad you get to choose between some different universities, and you can choose whether you want to go for uni accommodation in Korea or if you want to find your own place. You get a few breefing on this before you go and older students also help out alot with sharing their experiences and what they did when they went on their year abroad.

How many modules do you take per year? I'm looking at the website now but I find it very confusing haha. Also, when you go to Korean, do you decide which Uni you go to and accomodation etc?
Original post by nadsrmo

Sounds fun! Do you know what you're going to do?
Reply 16
Sounds fun! Do you know what you're going to do?

yes I was originally supposed to go on the year abroad now so I'd already planned everything and chosen my university. however, due to corona that obviously changed and I'll be going next year instead. I'm hoping i get to go to the same university as i chose this year
Original post by nadsrmo
yes I was originally supposed to go on the year abroad now so I'd already planned everything and chosen my university. however, due to corona that obviously changed and I'll be going next year instead. I'm hoping i get to go to the same university as i chose this year

Oh no how annoying! What will you study in korea?
Reply 18
Oh no how annoying! What will you study in korea?

just the language although we had to choose another module taught in English, but I never got around to choosing that before it was cancelled
Original post by nadsrmo
just the language although we had to choose another module taught in English, but I never got around to choosing that before it was cancelled

oh ok. I was also wondering, what room do you stay in? standard, deluxe etc? and what is it like?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply