The Student Room Group

Is it normal for unis to change modules in your course?

Screenshot_20200903-135626_Gmail-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Two questions.

question 1 first one is as the title says, I got an email saying they changed something in my course is that normal?

question 2. I also wanted to ask after I do my first year of the course I applied through UCAS ID it normal/ok for people to swap and do different IT coures? I selected computing, but there is also a course called computer systems engineering.
Original post by ChrisRock

question 1 first one is as the title says, I got an email saying they changed something in my course is that normal?

It's not unusual for a course to change and evolve over time, that might be driven by staff changes, internal course reviews, and quite possibly covid related issues this year, e.g. changing something so it's more remote learning friendly. Some course modules used to be "the next big thing" but the field has moved on, sometimes you need to make space for "sexy new subject", e.g. AI and self optimising systems, quantum computing etc.
Yeah, it's not unusual for modules to change from year to year. Core modules tend to change less frequently than optional modules, but they do still change sometimes.

As for changing courses - Some unis are more flexible than others about changing courses part way through. In general, they're more likely to allow you to switch if the first year of both courses is the same or very similar. If you're sure you want to change, speak to them before you start or as soon as you arrive and see if you can change before starting.
Pretty much, it has to change sometimes and it's generally up to a uni exactly what modules they offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Desideri
Yeah, it's not unusual for modules to change from year to year. Core modules tend to change less frequently than optional modules, but they do still change sometimes.

As for changing courses - Some unis are more flexible than others about changing courses part way through. In general, they're more likely to allow you to switch if the first year of both courses is the same or very similar. If you're sure you want to change, speak to them before you start or as soon as you arrive and see if you can change before starting.

so if I do 1 year of the course I signed up for and then change will I still get the qualifications from year 1?
so if I do 1 year of the course I signed up for and then change will I still get the qualifications from year 1?

Probably not - you get a degree for completing an entire course and just finishing year 1 typically just gets you "internal" course unit credits, not something that can be turned into an externally recognised award. If you manage to transfer elsewhere, the new course might require you to take their year 1, or in some cases if its close enough (and the 1st year came from an equivalent or higher ranked institution) they just take your units and possibly overall mark from year 1 if you transfer to year 2.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Probably not - you get a degree for completing an entire course and just finishing year 1 typically just gets you "internal" course unit credits, not something that can be turned into an externally recognised award. If you manage to transfer elsewhere, the new course might require you to take their year 1, or in some cases if its close enough (and the 1st year came from an equivalent or higher ranked institution) they just take your units and possibly overall mark from year 1 if you transfer to year 2.

I think many unis/degree do offer some kind of exit qualification for 1st and 2nd years, either Higher National Certificates & Diplomas or Certificates & Diplomas of Higher Education. I believe it is somewhat up to the uni themselves though.
Screenshot_20200903-135626_Gmail-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Two questions.

question 2. I also wanted to ask after I do my first year of the course I applied through UCAS ID it normal/ok for people to swap and do different IT coures? I selected computing, but there is also a course called computer systems engineering.

In response to Q1 unis can change modules if it is no longer relevant to the qualification. You will probably be given extra information into why and the changes. it's unusual but not unheard of.
I'm not much help for Q2 i'm afraid. Hope this helps a little!
For the query about changing course, it's not guaranteed you would be able to transfer into year 2 of a different course, and in fact is very unlikely unless the courses are almost the same. I would note computer systems engineering is very different from IT/computer science and overlaps very much with (and is sometimes used interchangeably as a term for) electronic engineering. You probably need some physics background for the CSE course, and you probably couldn't transfer into second year after a year of CS or IT, and would need to restart in first year. This may affect your student finance eligibility for future years on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending