The Student Room Group

UK justice strikes again: part 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by imlikeahermit
After the shambles that is the PC Harper case, and the piss poor sentencing, the judges that brought you that, also have this!

Two ‘sword killers’ have been sentenced today. They hacked a man to death with over 100 strikes of a samurai sword. Both, are complete wastes of space and we’re both high at the time.

Their punishment for hacking an innocent man to death?

One sentenced to ‘life’ which isn’t life because the minimum is only 22 years, and the other one was given the same, but with a minimum of 16 years.

British judges strike again!

Now I invite all the usual liberal nuthugging judge lovers into this thread to justify this sentencing! Please!

Your last sentence makes it clear you're not really interested in hearing other peoples opinions on the sentencing and listening to contrary points of view, so what exactly is your objective in starting this thread?
Reply 21
I think it’s very easy for you to say that, however heaven forbid it ever came about, but if it did I think you’d feel a lot different.

Yes, that would be quite natural. But in those circumstances he would be too personally involved in the case to make an objective judgement on what punishment would be fair, which is specifically why we disallow that sort of thing.
Original post by SHallowvale
Both out by 40... at which point they will be much older and will have wasted a very good portion of their life being locked away in a prison.

You seem to act like this is a just a slap on the wrist. Would you enjoy spending 22 years in prison?

Funny that, given that their victim won't see the light of day again, and his wife has to live with this for life. But again, you're obviously empathy impaired. Suppose you're right, they've served 22 years, that'll do it... :rolleyes:

Our prisons are like Butlins. While I personally would not enjoy it, because you know, I'm a law abiding citizen who doesn't break the law or have any intention to; for some criminals, I understand that prison is actually a decent break away! Think 3 star Tenerife without the pool.
Original post by JWatch
Your last sentence makes it clear you're not really interested in hearing other peoples opinions on the sentencing and listening to contrary points of view, so what exactly is your objective in starting this thread?

Because I absolutely love inflaming the left, and watching as they show sympathy to criminals rather than the victims! It's embarrassing really. So many sheltered people on here with no idea how the world works.
Funny that, given that their victim won't see the light of day again, and his wife has to live with this for life. But again, you're obviously empathy impaired. Suppose you're right, they've served 22 years, that'll do it... :rolleyes:

Our prisons are like Butlins. While I personally would not enjoy it, because you know, I'm a law abiding citizen who doesn't break the law or have any intention to; for some criminals, I understand that prison is actually a decent break away! Think 3 star Tenerife without the pool.

It's possible to both feel empathy for the victim(s) and find the terms of the sentence to be acceptable.

You "understand" that prison is "a decent break away"? To whom? Have you personally spoken to prisoners who have spent 22 years in prison?
So many sheltered people on here with no idea how the world works.

Odd for you to say that, given how you've demonstrated to us your lack of understanding of the justice system.
Don't be silly. Punishments should be given on the whims of the victim's families or, even better, the whims of some angry forum user who thinks they can be the arbiter of what is an is not suitable punishment.

Clearly that's a fair system.

You keep saying "only" as if 22 years is not a long time...?

If someone I loved was killed in a similar fashion I would be satisfied if the murder got 22 years.

Judges can be very upset by the case they are human beings too.
Odd for you to say that, given how you've demonstrated to us your lack of understanding of the justice system.

Complete ********. I am fully aware of how our justice system works. My point is that continually judges fail to apply appropriate sentences to crimes. 22 years minimum is not the maximum for murder. It could be much higher.
Complete ********. I am fully aware of how our justice system works. My point is that continually judges fail to apply appropriate sentences to crimes. 22 years minimum is not the maximum for murder. It could be much higher.

"Fully aware of how our justice system works", yet you blamed the judges for not giving whole-life sentences despite it being beyond their power to do so.

Why is 22 years minimum not appropriate?
Original post by looloo2134
Judges can be very upset by the case they are human beings too.

Sometimes, sure, but in general judges will be far more impartial. They'll definitely be far more impartial than the victim's loved ones and keyboard warriors.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Except you fail to understand that criminal law in this country is statute based, which means it is parliament and the government who create them including sentencing. The judges merely apply the guidelines, but dont let that get in the way of blaming the wrong people.

This has been explained to you on a number of occasions, but it doesnt go in.

cos it is wrong that is why. The courts can bend the rules if they feel like it.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
cos it is wrong that is why. The courts can bend the rules if they feel like it.

Last time I checked they have to apply the law. Care to show us where they bent the rules outside their remit?
Last time I checked they have to apply the law. Care to show us where they bent the rules outside their remit?

Who will hold them to account if they bend the rules?
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Who will hold them to account if they bend the rules?

Depends what you mean by bending. If they do anything unlawful or against protocol then their decisions can be reviewed and overturned.
Except you fail to understand that criminal law in this country is statute based, which means it is parliament and the government who create them including sentencing. The judges merely apply the guidelines, but dont let that get in the way of blaming the wrong people.

This has been explained to you on a number of occasions, but it doesnt go in.

He is a very right wing Brexiteer so it is very unlikely he will understand criminal law or anything related to justice or politics. Just like most right wing Brexitters who only engage with populism, half truths, oversimplifications, exaggerations, and are deluted massively...
After the shambles that is the PC Harper case, and the piss poor sentencing, the judges that brought you that, also have this!

Two ‘sword killers’ have been sentenced today. They hacked a man to death with over 100 strikes of a samurai sword. Both, are complete wastes of space and we’re both high at the time.

Their punishment for hacking an innocent man to death?

One sentenced to ‘life’ which isn’t life because the minimum is only 22 years, and the other one was given the same, but with a minimum of 16 years.

British judges strike again!

Now I invite all the usual liberal nuthugging judge lovers into this thread to justify this sentencing! Please!

UK prisons are overcrowded, poorly funded and inefficient. The judge doesn't want to keep two convicts in the system too long.
Depends what you mean by bending. If they do anything unlawful or against protocol then their decisions can be reviewed and overturned.

Overturned by whom? More judges?
Original post by Lucifer323
He is a very right wing Brexiteer so it is very unlikely he will understand criminal law or anything related to justice or politics. Just like most right wing Brexitters who only engage with populism, half truths, oversimplifications, exaggerations, and are deluted massively...

WHo is? Why would they be for brexit? Are all the BLM protesters brexit supporters?
In the end of the day, it's the law that prevails and not justice.
Original post by Lucifer323

I hope you're not referring to me. I strongly oppose Brexit.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
UK prisons are overcrowded, poorly funded and inefficient. The judge doesn't want to keep two convicts in the system too long.

True. Thus why we need to build some more.
Original post by iNeed2p
In the end of the day, it's the law that prevails and not justice.

Shouldn't the law provide justice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending