The Student Room Group

Teach First Applications 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hj172
Did you complete your Curriculum Knowledge Assessment and then they asked you to do the top up course?

Not quite - I'd just done the development centre and they called to tell me about the top up workshops. Despite its name I think it's basically another form of assessment on whether or not I should be offered a place. It's sort of like another development centre over 3 days except the mode of assessment is slightly different - instead of interviews there are group workshops etc.
That sounds like a massive waste of time. Go for it if you are free and are not otherwise engaged I guess. But I'd just apply for other routes into teaching.
Reply 82
Original post by louderthanlove
Yeah I had my development centre 2 weeks ago and they just called yesterday morning. They basically said that I didn't show all of their competencies on the development centre day, however they still believe I have potential so they want me to do the top up workshops. It's basically 2 days of workshops which assessors will be watching and on the third day I have to do another teaching episode. There's also a 5 hour online module to complete beforehand

How do you feel about that?
Reply 83
Hey! Bit late to the party but I applied on the 19th for secondary science (bio) so hoping to hear back soon - it's only been 2 weeks but it feels like it's taking forever aha
Reply 84
Original post by franrm
Hey! Bit late to the party but I applied on the 19th for secondary science (bio) so hoping to hear back soon - it's only been 2 weeks but it feels like it's taking forever aha

I applied on 13th and they got back to me on Tuesday. So hopefully you shouldn't have to wait too long
Hey guys I'm doing my development plan part of the CKA and I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me how much depth you guys went into for the ways you are going to secure your subject knowledge? I keep writing but I'm not sure if I'm waffling and if short and sweet is better. Any advice would be lovely!
Hi guys, I applied on the 22nd (Aug) for secondary history in the West Midlands, I know it's a 20 day wait but I am so anxious and checking my emails every two seconds 😭
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 87
I’ve just had an email inviting me to a development centre in just under 2 weeks! Looking forward to it :smile:
Original post by franrm
I’ve just had an email inviting me to a development centre in just under 2 weeks! Looking forward to it :smile:

When did you apply out of interest?
Reply 89
Original post by franrm

Can I kindly ask which location/region you may have applied for?

I found out last week I have mine in 6 weeks time
Reply 90
Original post by RedWarrioress
When did you apply out of interest?

On the 19th
Reply 91
Original post by stulfc
Can I kindly ask which location/region you may have applied for?

I found out last week I have mine in 6 weeks time

West Midlands, it probably differs between regions/subjects
Original post by franrm
On the 19th

Thanks! I'll stop panicking then as you were a little before me haha
Reply 93
Has anyone heard back recently with an offer/rejection? I had my development centre almost 3 weeks ago and haven’t heard yet and I’m getting kind of impatient! They said within 15 working days and it’s only been 13 so I’m being a bit irrational but I do worry that the longer they take the less likely I am to hear back positively :/. How soon have people been hearing back after their DCs?
I heard back on the 7th day after the development centre. They asked me to do the ‘Top Up course’ because I ‘have potential’ but lack some competencies whatever that means. But I’m thinking I’ll pass, I can’t take 3 consecutive days off work to do it. PGCE applications open on 13OCT, physics and maths are in demand subjects anyways so I’m not too bothered.
Original post by kenlai1996
I heard back on the 7th day after the development centre. They asked me to do the ‘Top Up course’ because I ‘have potential’ but lack some competencies whatever that means. But I’m thinking I’ll pass, I can’t take 3 consecutive days off work to do it. PGCE applications open on 13OCT, physics and maths are in demand subjects anyways so I’m not too bothered.

Probably for the best, you'll get plenty of funding training in maths or physics and you won't have to deal with the hassle of Teach First's nonsense!
Reply 96
Original post by kenlai1996

I think they’ve just offered something similar to me, but it doesn’t require 3 days off. Apparently I’ve shown a lot of potential but not met all the competencies so they want me to re-do the teaching episode, but it’s 7 minutes instead of 4 this time.
Hi Everyone,

I submitted my application a week ago to teach Geography. I was wondering if there are any other grad schemes like TeachFirst or routes into teaching just incase I get rejected. If so please do share!
Original post by smsunshine12
Hi Everyone,

I submitted my application a week ago to teach Geography. I was wondering if there are any other grad schemes like TeachFirst or routes into teaching just incase I get rejected. If so please do share!

Have you looked into the traditional routes?

If the salary is what's drawing you to TeachFirst, you're unlikely to find that elsewhere (unless you have ample experience working in schools, which would make you eligible for the salaried school direct routes).
I shall check that out! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending