The Student Room Group

I have nothing to write on my personal statement!!

i'll hopefully be applying to study computer science this year at university. unfortunately, i have very little cs related stuff to write on my personal statement. i'm pretty sure it'll be pretty hard to find work exp/events to attend during this covid thing. i'm gonna read a few cs related books but other than that, i've got nothing. what should i do?
You can mention the challenges you faced during COVID and what you’ve done instead to overcome them: read the books.

Focus on your other extra curriculars and tie them into how the skills you’ve drawn from them will help you in the course.
Original post by RazzzBerries
You can mention the challenges you faced during COVID and what you’ve done instead to overcome them: read the books.

Focus on your other extra curriculars and tie them into how the skills you’ve drawn from them will help you in the course.

Thank you for the response. Wouldn't having no cs exp make my personal statement weaker and hence put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by userx805
Thank you for the response. Wouldn't having no cs exp make my personal statement weaker and hence put me at a disadvantage?

You’ll be in the same position as most CS applicants, so I doubt they can severely disadvantage you.
Original post by RazzzBerries
You’ll be in the same position as most CS applicants, so I doubt they can severely disadvantage you.

I see, thanks again
I see, thanks again

No worries!
You should talk about books, projects etc. that you have done related to CS and why they are interesting :smile:
i'll hopefully be applying to study computer science this year at university. unfortunately, i have very little cs related stuff to write on my personal statement. i'm pretty sure it'll be pretty hard to find work exp/events to attend during this covid thing. i'm gonna read a few cs related books but other than that, i've got nothing. what should i do?

Have you thought about trying to code something? Just like setting yourself a challenge, and what that taught you and how that inspired extra reading.

I don't know how relevant to your course that is, but if it has a strong coding aspect then it could show interest

Have you looked at the PS builder on here?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help
Original post by Interrobang
You should talk about books, projects etc. that you have done related to CS and why they are interesting :smile:

I haven't done much related to cs.
I haven't done much related to cs.

You mentioned you were going to read a few CS books, that's the sort of thing I mean. And you could start doing coding etc.
Original post by robertgallacher
Have you thought about trying to code something? Just like setting yourself a challenge, and what that taught you and how that inspired extra reading.

I don't know how relevant to your course that is, but if it has a strong coding aspect then it could show interest

That's a good suggestion but I've been told it's not a good idea to start learning code before I start my degree since I can build some bad coding habits
Original post by Muttley79
Have you looked at the PS builder on here?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help

I haven't, I'll check it out. Thanks
Original post by Interrobang
You mentioned you were going to read a few CS books, that's the sort of thing I mean. And you could start doing coding etc.

yeah I will, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending