The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Hi All,

Good luck with applications!

Ice breaker information would be helpful to identify those who are applying for the same course(s):

Are you currently a student?
Are you a UK applicant? If not, which country are you from and are you applying for Gates funding?
Current (or Last) University:
Current (or Last) Course:
Achieved (or Expected) Grade:
Prospective Course:
College preference:
Other universities you’re applying to:

After you have received a decision, some applicants may be curious to know the following, but please avoid worrying if someone has heard back sooner than you; it does not necessarily mean you will be rejected.
Course:
Date applied (including references):
Interview date (if applicable):
Decision date and whether seen on the portal or received via e-mail:
Decision:
If unsuccessful, did you see your portal update to Degree Committee or GAO/PAO before receiving the outcome?
If successful, date the portal updated to Degree Committee (although please note, some applications skip this step or the portal is not updated to show this step):
If successful, date the portal updated to GAO/PAO:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for University of Cambridge's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact University of Cambridge directly.

*** With thanks to @Sandtrooper, @threeportdrift and @histmphil96, the following link has a list of FAQs. Please refer to these before asking a question. Thank you:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6930482 ***

Regarding college preferences, thanks to @Sam547, this may also be useful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5894950&p=87870422&page=213&highlight=#post87870422

In addition, with thanks to @PhDLit2021, the following may also help with regularly asked questions:
"1. Steps and timelines: If you're looking to understand the steps and rough timelines for each step in the admission process, [you can visit University of Cambridge's postgraduate admissions website where there is a link to "Application process" and "What happens next?"]. Note that the timelines on this page aren't 100% accurate during the pandemic: we have evidence from certain individuals that the PAO stage has taken up to 4 weeks in some cases, and not the "approximately ten days" this page suggests. Directionally speaking, however, this page is a great place to start.

2. GAO = PAO: There is no difference between them. None. If your status happened to change from GAO to PAO (or even vice versa), it's likely because some back-end person realized it was high time to start using a single term consistently. That's all.

3. Funding 1 - sources and ranking: Scholarships / funding can be given out through by various sources. The ones that come up here most often are the Cambridge Trust, the individual colleges at Cambridge and the UKRI councils. For these three sources, your department (e.g. Dept of French) essentially ranks you against other applicants; those department rankings are then used to establish a ranking at the Faculty level (e.g., Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics for the Dept of French) that is then sent to these funding bodies, along with any additional material that might be appropriate (e.g. transcripts; any scholarship-relevant material in your university application). These bodies then use all of this information to allocate their scholarships. Note: some departments might be willing to tell you how high they ranked you for funding purposes. The information might give you some comfort - but it's really quite useless, as the dept will likely not know what rank the overall Faculty ended up giving you, and the funding bodies take a whole bunch of other criteria into account other than just rank.

4. Funding 2 - timing: The Cambridge Trust and individual colleges announce their results progressively between late March and mid-July; the UKRI councils all have their own timings that are available on their websites (AHRC is in April, for instance). There's nothing you can do to influence that timing.

5. Funding 3 - college-specific scholarships: Some scholarships from individual colleges are only available if you opted for that college as your first choice. The information is available in the small print of each scholarship. If you only realized after applying that you could have theoretically obtained a scholarship from a college if you had selected it as your first choice, that's unfortunate, but there isn't anything you can do about it.

6. Funding 4 - stats: If you're looking for stats on scholarships, [you can visit the University of Cambridge's postgraduate admissions website, click on "How to apply for funding?" and then under the "What are my chances" section], it has stats available for the past couple of years; the rest of the page is pretty useful too. That's all there is really. The rest is conjecture and anecdote.

7. Your college membership: You may not get your 1st choice of college anyway. People here have got their 1st choice, their 2nd choice, their 3rd choice, and sometimes have been given a random college that wasn't in any of their choices. How each college chooses its students isn't super transparent - but generally depends (a bit) on your academic background and (a lot) on the kind of diversity (subject-based, gender-based, ethnicity-based, graduate vs postgraduate, etc) that that college is trying to establish. Whichever college you get, take a deep breath and relax: you only get a college once you have an offer, so that means you have got into Cambridge! Congratulations! Isn't that the bigger picture?

8. Random email sent by Cambridge: Many of us got this random email from Cambridge on February 26 ("Update from Cambridge University Admissions Office"). It's poorly worded and misleading but here are the takeaways: (a) the email contains no information whatsoever on your application specifically - only the application portal and / or any specific updates you receive via email about your application matter in this regard; (b) they've linked to an offer booklet PDF in that email; if you end up receiving an offer, maybe just go back to this PDF and read it, as it likely contains answers to the questions you're asking yourself at that stage. That's all - other than that, you can pretty much ignore the email. PS - And if you DIDN'T receive the email, no FOMO please - it's a pretty useless email and you can do without it really.

9. OMG OMG OMG. I haven't heard back. What can I do? Does this mean I'm out ? Woe is me. The anxiety. The angst. The panic. OMG OMG OMG: Things will take the time they need to take. Sometimes that feels slow. The pandemic isn't helping either. But mailing your dept tutor and / or some rando's email address at Admissions or General Administration to request updates is likely not going to get you any further in the line. Rest assured, the uni hasn't forgotten your candidacy. If you haven't heard back, it's because they're struggling to clear backlog and for whatever reason, some applications are just quicker to clear than others. You'll hear back eventually - even though it might be later than some people (and earlier than others) for reasons no one can really know. Trying to second-guess those reasons (is it taking more time because you're an international student vs a UK student? Part-time vs full-time? Is it because your dept was slow in its paperwork? Because you wore green to graduation?) is going to be an exercise in futility. Take a chill pill. Focus on what you CAN control (the application and the interview - that's it, really). Have a glass of wine. Do some yoga. Breathe. Maybe connect to this thread less often. And it'll all work out in the end.

All the best to all!"
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Super glad to see the school threads getting started even though it's on the earlier side! Can't wait to get through the application season with all of you!

Current university: I graduated in May 2020 but somewhere in America (don't want to get too specific, don't want it to be too identifying!)
Achieved grade: I think my GPA is equivalent to a 2.1 or maybe a first-class? I'm not quite sure, the internet had differing answers haha
Prospective course: MPhil in Epidemiology or Public Health, not 100% sure yet but leaning towards Epidemiology
Other Universities you're applying to: Oxford, UCL, Imperial College London, and King's College London in the UK. Outside of the UK, I'm applying to UCLA, UCSD, Brown, Yale, and Columbia! Oxford & Cambridge are definitely my first choice though!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi there!
-Undergrad: Accounting and Finance
- Achieved Grade: First-class honours
- Prospective Course: MPhil Real Estate Finance
-Professional experience in Real Estate Development and REITs/ Property Funds
- Submitted 03/09
(edited 3 years ago)
Hooray! I'm excited :smile:

- Current University: Australian GO8 (similar to RG)
- Current Course: Psychology Honours
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First Class
- Prospective Course: MPhil Medical Science (Psychiatry)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxford, UCL, Harvard, Berkeley, Yale, Columbia (Cambridge is my no 1 choice though!)
Hi everyone!

- Current University: Exeter University (last year)
- Current Course: BA English
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MPhil Heritage Studies
It looks like the programs I was looking at, the MPhil in Epidemiology and the MPhil in Public Health are no longer being offered next year! Looks like the MPhil in Population Health Sciences is going to be the closest thing. I'm waiting for the course page to get posted (it says it's still under review) to make sure it's a good fit before applying; I'm intrigued as to what that's going to entail!
Currently studying mathematical sciences in Ireland, expected to achieve a first.
Will be applying for the MPhil in History & Philosophy of Science so at the moment I am trying to get all my application materials together.
Looking forward to getting through this application season with you all :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pulchritudinous!
Right, I'm putting aside imposter syndrome and taking the plunge:

- Prospective Course: I'm applying for the PhD in History! I applied a couple of years ago but didn't get funding (though I was nominated). Hopefully now I have my Masters results and some professional experience, I might stand out a little more.

- Other Universities you’re applying to: Nothing concrete yet, but Oxford and Bristol are definitely on the list.

By the way, is anyone else having a problem with the Applicant Portal? Every time I try to log in it tells me they've encountered an error. I've sent an email to postgrad admissions but also want to check if this is a problem on my end or if other people are experiencing technical difficulties.

I began my application in the portal yesterday and was having no issues with it so might be on your end :smile:
Original post by bitsbobsbubbles
I began my application in the portal yesterday and was having no issues with it so might be on your end :smile:

Ah, I submitted a request to waive the admission fee (low-income background), so I wonder if I'm not allowed to sign in to the portal until they've confirmed the waiver. OR, I'm forbidden from ever applying for the PhD again :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hi everyone,

Excited to join this thread:

- Current University: I graduated in 2014 with a Master in Management from ESCP Europe (Paris)
- Current Course: I'm a working professional in the tech industry (silicon valley company, 5+ years of experience as a Business Analyst/Project Manager)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: The system in France doesn't use GPA but I believe my grades do meet the min required for my course.
- Prospective Course: MSt Social Innovation at Cambridge
- Other Universities you’re applying to: None so far, the program at Cambridge is part time and most of the time online which would allow me to continue living in Berlin. If anyone knows of similar programs in other universities please feel free to share.

I am planning to apply to the Social Innovation Masters at Cambridge this fall already and as it will be the first time ever applying to a UK university, I would love some guidance regarding the following:
- How should write my reference letters? What important things should I keep in mind or should be covered in the letters? I am thinking of asking my current manager and my previous manager, both work in the tech industry and therefore I wonder if these references will be deemed relevant for a Social Innovation course.
- How should I choose my college? Other than choosing a college with several alumni from the program, is there anything else that I should take into account?
- Any other advice to help with my application? This represents my dream program and I really really want to do everything possible to get in. Aside from my tech job, I have founded a small NGO 3 years ago (education focused) and joining the program could be a real game changer for my organisation too.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone applying!

Sara
Original post by SaraBer
Hi everyone,

Excited to join this thread:

- Current University: I graduated in 2014 with a Master in Management from ESCP Europe (Paris)
- Current Course: I'm a working professional in the tech industry (silicon valley company, 5+ years of experience as a Business Analyst/Project Manager)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: The system in France doesn't use GPA but I believe my grades do meet the min required for my course.
- Prospective Course: MSt Social Innovation at Cambridge
- Other Universities you’re applying to: None so far, the program at Cambridge is part time and most of the time online which would allow me to continue living in Berlin. If anyone knows of similar programs in other universities please feel free to share.

I am planning to apply to the Social Innovation Masters at Cambridge this fall already and as it will be the first time ever applying to a UK university, I would love some guidance regarding the following:
- How should write my reference letters? What important things should I keep in mind or should be covered in the letters? I am thinking of asking my current manager and my previous manager, both work in the tech industry and therefore I wonder if these references will be deemed relevant for a Social Innovation course.
- How should I choose my college? Other than choosing a college with several alumni from the program, is there anything else that I should take into account?
- Any other advice to help with my application? This represents my dream program and I really really want to do everything possible to get in. Aside from my tech job, I have founded a small NGO 3 years ago (education focused) and joining the program could be a real game changer for my organisation too.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone applying!

Sara

Hello Sara!

Regarding your references, you should check on your course page the requirements. Mine, for example, requires a academic referee, rather than a professional.
In my opinion, the main reason to choose a college is the funding. Use the Cambridge funding search tool, as well as take a look at each college page, to check the funding opportunities you are eligible to. Many of them requires acceptance (or at least pointing as 1st choice) in order to apply.
Reply 11
Original post by princessmegan
Hello Sara!

Regarding your references, you should check on your course page the requirements. Mine, for example, requires a academic referee, rather than a professional.
In my opinion, the main reason to choose a college is the funding. Use the Cambridge funding search tool, as well as take a look at each college page, to check the funding opportunities you are eligible to. Many of them requires acceptance (or at least pointing as 1st choice) in order to apply.

That's good to know, thank you!

I think since my last course was in 2014, I am able to provide only professional references. This is what they say in the program requirements:

We understand that many applicants have been out of the formal education space for a considerable amount of time. If this is the case, we will accept two professional references. As a guideline we would expect at least one academic reference if five years or less has passed since graduating from your last academic course.
Reply 12
Hey everyone!

A few months ago I collected some data about college admission statistics for postgraduates. I hope this can be useful to you guys too (please feel free to share this with anybody you like).

You can find the post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5894950&p=87870422&page=213&highlight=#post87870422

The main point is to NOT choose the most popular colleges for your second preference. Instead, put down a college that you would be happy to study at and also gives you a resonable chance to be accepted, if your first choice doesn't work out.

Wishing you all good luck with your applications :smile:
Original post by Sam547
Hey everyone!

A few months ago I collected some data about college admission statistics for postgraduates. I hope this can be useful to you guys too (please feel free to share this with anybody you like).

You can find the post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5894950&p=87870422&page=213&highlight=#post87870422

The main point is to NOT choose the most popular colleges for your second preference. Instead, put down a college that you would be happy to study at and also gives you a resonable chance to be accepted, if your first choice doesn't work out.

Wishing you all good luck with your applications :smile:

This is so helpful, thank you so much! Amazing that you did all that work wow! Thank you for sharing :smile:
Reply 14
Hi everyone !!!

- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MPhil Advanced Computer Science
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial

I have a small doubt, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me!!!

Basically, the deadline for the course is Feb. 10th 2021. But does it work on a rolling basis? Or do they wait till February?

Also, am I heavily affedted if I haven't got research experience? What if I had work experience instead?

Thanks in advance!!! :smile:
Reply 15
Hi everyone!

- Current University: A Uk BPS-accredited uni ranked in the 10-20th range
- Current Course: BSc Psychology
- Prospective Course: MPhil Education (Psychology and Education)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Just UCL, not many universities offer a similar programme

Any advice with regards to college applications? They all seem great to me, just that I would much prefer one that is en-suite and has a kitchen. Many colleges offer both non en-suite and en-suite rooms but it doesn't look like we can pick the room type at this stage?

Also when does everyone plan to submit their applications?
Original post by wesgwl
Hi everyone!

- Current University: A Uk BPS-accredited uni ranked in the 10-20th range
- Current Course: BSc Psychology
- Prospective Course: MPhil Education (Psychology and Education)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Just UCL, not many universities offer a similar programme

Any advice with regards to college applications? They all seem great to me, just that I would much prefer one that is en-suite and has a kitchen. Many colleges offer both non en-suite and en-suite rooms but it doesn't look like we can pick the room type at this stage?

Also when does everyone plan to submit their applications?

Hi! I'm applying for MPhil Education (Arts, Creativity & Education). I know its a stereotype for those who study Education but have you looked at Homerton? It is the closest college to Faculty of Education, it's literally right beside it. According to google maps, Downing is the 2nd closet college which is 24 minutes walk away. Also, they have ensuite, self-catering purpose build accommodation for postgrads, which looks relatively new on the website.

But like a lot of colleges, they have cheaper and more expensive rooms, so what you get will depend on what you pay for. Also, Homerton says they can't guarantee accommodation to anyone who meets there offer after July. In my opinion, I could be wrong but honestly, It seems a bit of a lottery at most colleges, as in you don't know what you're going to be allocated until you get it. All one seems to be able to do is make an informed decision and pick one that does offer the type of accommodation you want and hope for the best! Also, take into consideration that some colleges offer off-site accommodation, particularly at postgrad level, which you may not want to be at risk of being allocated.

People do education at loads of different colleges but I'm going to put Homerton as my first choice. It has everything I want except being postgrad/mature only. So my second choice will be a postgrad/mature only college (I'm not sure yet but I'm leaning towards Wolfson right now). I don't know if choosing Homerton for Education puts one at a disadvantage, in that it could be more competitive then choosing another college. But, I'm going to take that chance though, I'm more worried about getting a place on the course. I would like an en-suite too though lol!

I'm still doing my undergrad so I plan to submit my application late in November. Mainly because I want to ask my dissertation supervisor to be one of my referees but I haven't been assigned one yet. Applications for my course are being accessed in two batches and the 3rd of Dec is the first deadline so I hope to get mine in before that. This course is my first choice so I'm planning to get my applications in by order of preference. I've none of my applications started yet.
Hi! Is anyone else applying for the MPhil in Medieval and Renaissance Literature?
- Current University: New College of the Humanities
- Current Course: English with Economics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st/74.4%
- Prospective Course: MPhil English Studies: Modern and Contemporary Literature
- Other Universities you’re applying to: LSE, KCL, and Royal Holloway.
Reply 19
Original post by SaxaDeans
Hi! I'm applying for MPhil Education (Arts, Creativity & Education). I know its a stereotype for those who study Education but have you looked at Homerton? It is the closest college to Faculty of Education, it's literally right beside it. According to google maps, Downing is the 2nd closet college which is 24 minutes walk away. Also, they have ensuite, self-catering purpose build accommodation for postgrads, which looks relatively new on the website.

But like a lot of colleges, they have cheaper and more expensive rooms, so what you get will depend on what you pay for. Also, Homerton says they can't guarantee accommodation to anyone who meets there offer after July. In my opinion, I could be wrong but honestly, It seems a bit of a lottery at most colleges, as in you don't know what you're going to be allocated until you get it. All one seems to be able to do is make an informed decision and pick one that does offer the type of accommodation you want and hope for the best! Also, take into consideration that some colleges offer off-site accommodation, particularly at postgrad level, which you may not want to be at risk of being allocated.

People do education at loads of different colleges but I'm going to put Homerton as my first choice. It has everything I want except being postgrad/mature only. So my second choice will be a postgrad/mature only college (I'm not sure yet but I'm leaning towards Wolfson right now). I don't know if choosing Homerton for Education puts one at a disadvantage, in that it could be more competitive then choosing another college. But, I'm going to take that chance though, I'm more worried about getting a place on the course. I would like an en-suite too though lol!

I'm still doing my undergrad so I plan to submit my application late in November. Mainly because I want to ask my dissertation supervisor to be one of my referees but I haven't been assigned one yet. Applications for my course are being accessed in two batches and the 3rd of Dec is the first deadline so I hope to get mine in before that. This course is my first choice so I'm planning to get my applications in by order of preference. I've none of my applications started yet.

Ah I see, guess we're in a similar situation. I've got one academic referee so far and I'm hoping to get my dissertation supervisor as my second referee but I have yet to meet her at all due to covid. I read that applications close when places are filled, but does that mean they consider applications per batch and not by date of submission? Meaning to say as long as I submit it by December it will be assessed together with everyone else who submitted it in Sept? Was worried I would be too late and have been trying to rush the application but if thats the case I know I have a little more time on my hands to work on the written task.

Also I've picked Homerton and Downing

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending