The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Moving in

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if when moving in you get given a trolley or anything to help move things from your car or do you just have to make multiple trips?

Thank you
Can't speak fro Lancaster but I highly doubt they would help in that respect! Multiple trips is probably the only option!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Noodlzzz
Can't speak fro Lancaster but I highly doubt they would help in that respect! Multiple trips is probably the only option!

Thank you, my dad assumes that we will because when he went to uni (Manchester not Lancaster) they got one but I didn't think so!
You get a key and then you’re on your own. There’s too many steps for trolleys anyway
Probably not. my daughters moving to Lancaster this year and from what I read so far, you may need to queue for key collection and building access as they manage the moving in process for all students to maintain social distancing.
They advise a 2 hour moving window with 1 person other than you in the building as well.

So I think the plan of action for us is:
Queue up and get the key
Then spend about 20 mins unloading
Spend 30-40 min helping out setting up stuff
Then go to Sainsburys for a food shop, and if its gone past the 2 hour time slot by the time I get back, I can always park in one of the visitor car parks, and daughter can taken her own food shopping in from the car and unload the food haul herself..

We have also watched a few moving in uni videos and from what i've seen the best way is to pack a lot of stuff in boxes rather than loosely, the transporting to the room is much easier :smile:
Original post by lauradaniellex
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if when moving in you get given a trolley or anything to help move things from your car or do you just have to make multiple trips?

Thank you

Hi @lauradaniellex,

When I moved in last year, there weren't any trolleys. Generally, you'll be able to park as close to your accommodation as you can, but you will still have to make multiple trips! I think it took me about 3-4 tries to get everything in, and it was raining really hard, so was a very soggy first day!

If you can pack things loosely then it will make life a lot easier! For example, I put all of my clothes in bin bags, and then had two heavy shopping bags of books, kitchen stuff, etc.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help!

Maria :smile:
2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @lauradaniellex,

When I moved in last year, there weren't any trolleys. Generally, you'll be able to park as close to your accommodation as you can, but you will still have to make multiple trips! I think it took me about 3-4 tries to get everything in, and it was raining really hard, so was a very soggy first day!

I'd recommend, if you have more than one person helping you, have one person to stay in your room and start with unpacking, and then organise the trips to and from the car with another. Obviously, the moving in process will be different this year due to COVID-19, so it may well be that you receive information or different instructions nearer to the time.

If you can pack things loosely then it will make life a lot easier! For example, I put all of my clothes in bin bags, and then had two heavy shopping bags of books, kitchen stuff, etc.

Thank you! This year we are only allowed one other person to help us move in, although I'm not sure if this means that another can go back and forth to the car or not but I guess we'll find out!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @lauradaniellex,

I'd recommend, if you have more than one person helping you, have one person to stay in your room and start with unpacking, and then organise the trips to and from the car with another. Obviously, the moving in process will be different this year due to COVID-19, so it may well be that you receive information or different instructions nearer to the time.

Hi Maria, its not good news at the moment , covid website on lancaster says only one person other than yourself now in the building when moving in. Its a shame as me and hubs would have loved to have helped in her room together, but he will have to wait in the car if thats allowed hopefully.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/covid-19/#
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi Maria, its not good news at the moment , covid website on lancaster says only one person other than yourself now in the building when moving in. Its a shame as me and hubs would have loved to have helped in her room together, but he will have to wait in the car if thats allowed hopefully.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/accommodation/covid-19/#

Hi @Ghostlady,

I was only allowed one person to help me move out of my accommodation during lockdown, so that does make sense!

I'm sorry that you both won't be able to go in, but hopefully later on in the year you'll be able to visit!

Original post by Ghostlady
Probably not. my daughters moving to Lancaster this year and from what I read so far, you may need to queue for key collection and building access as they manage the moving in process for all students to maintain social distancing.
They advise a 2 hour moving window with 1 person other than you in the building as well.

So I think the plan of action for us is:
Queue up and get the key
Then spend about 20 mins unloading
Spend 30-40 min helping out setting up stuff
Then go to Sainsburys for a food shop, and if its gone past the 2 hour time slot by the time I get back, I can always park in one of the visitor car parks, and daughter can taken her own food shopping in from the car and unload the food haul herself..

We have also watched a few moving in uni videos and from what i've seen the best way is to pack a lot of stuff in boxes rather than loosely, the transporting to the room is much easier :smile:

Thank you, I know how to pack my things I've been preparing since January. I believe we will have to book our 2 hour time slots and from what I've seen that starts to come out next week so keep an eye out for that. What course is your daughter doing and which accommodation?
Original post by lauradaniellex
Thank you, I know how to pack my things I've been preparing since January. I believe we will have to book our 2 hour time slots and from what I've seen that starts to come out next week so keep an eye out for that. What course is your daughter doing and which accommodation?

She is doing physics, particle physics and cosmology and is in Grizedale Townhouse. We started to prep from about June. where about are you staying and what course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending