The Student Room Group

I got an A* in my EPQ, ask me anything :)

I completed my EPQ this year and achieved an A*. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have

Scroll to see replies

how difficult did you find analysing and evaluating sources? how would you suggest keeping organised with your sources and not letting things pile up? what do you think is the most suitable number of sources to use? what did you first do when starting your EPQ? what was your topic/question?

i know that’s questions many haha sorry :colondollar:
Original post by nightingalegend
how difficult did you find analysing and evaluating sources? how would you suggest keeping organised with your sources and not letting things pile up? what do you think is the most suitable number of sources to use? what did you first do when starting your EPQ? what was your topic/question?

i know that’s questions many haha sorry :colondollar:

hi, hahaha don't worry I had a lot of questions before I started as well :smile:

I didn't find analysing/evaluating sources too difficult because I had done a lot of it in history gcse, but my main tips are to consider the type of source, when it was written, who it was written by etc to decide if it is bias/reliable etc.

As for dealing with sources, I recommend creating a table with the following headers: source (use this column to cite source), source type, date accessed, quotes, notes (use this to summarise what the source is about so it's easier for you to remember later on) and evaluation (this is where you will discuss the reliability/usefulness etc. of the source) every time you find a source (whether you think it'll make it into your essay or not) cite the source and add it to the table. To be honest, I kind of did this but for some I didn't properly cite them or didn't evaluate them straight away which made it a very tiresome task at the end.

I ended up using 56 sources in my essay (some were from the same source but different parts of the journal for example). However in my source table I evaluated 60 sources and explained why i didn't include the 4 sources i didn't include that didn't make it into my essay. I would say more than how many sources you use it is more important to ensure you have a wide variety of sources, for example I had journals, articles, websites, a podcast and an interview I had carried out.

I first started thinking about my EPQ last summer after gcses and so by september I had my title. I started by doing a skeleton for my essay: intro, paragraph 1, 2, conclusion etc. Then I started researching my topic and when I found a source that I thought would be useful I copied and pasted the section I thought would be useful under the section I thought it would fit under. This way when I came to do my final plan everything I needed was in one place. My school also made us make a Gantt Chart, I never used mine but it does show that you are able to manage your time well and it gives you a good idea of the timeline you should follow.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by studyfunstudy
hi, hahaha don't worry I had a lot of questions before I started as well :smile: My EPQ title was 'Should Huntington's Disease be treated more psychiatrically or neurologically?"

I didn't find analysing/evaluating sources too difficult because I had done a lot of it in history gcse, but my main tips are to consider the type of source, when it was written, who it was written by etc to decide if it is bias/reliable etc.

As for dealing with sources, I recommend creating a table with the following headers: source (use this column to cite source), source type, date accessed, quotes, notes (use this to summarise what the source is about so it's easier for you to remember later on) and evaluation (this is where you will discuss the reliability/usefulness etc. of the source) every time you find a source (whether you think it'll make it into your essay or not) cite the source and add it to the table. To be honest, I kind of did this but for some I didn't properly cite them or didn't evaluate them straight away which made it a very tiresome task at the end.

I ended up using 56 sources in my essay (some were from the same source but different parts of the journal for example). However in my source table I evaluated 60 sources and explained why i didn't include the 4 sources i didn't include that didn't make it into my essay. I would say more than how many sources you use it is more important to ensure you have a wide variety of sources, for example I had journals, articles, websites, a podcast and an interview I had carried out.

I first started thinking about my EPQ last summer after gcses and so by september I had my title. I started by doing a skeleton for my essay: intro, paragraph 1, 2, conclusion etc. Then I started researching my topic and when I found a source that I thought would be useful I copied and pasted the section I thought would be useful under the section I thought it would fit under. This way when I came to do my final plan everything I needed was in one place. My school also made us make a Gantt Chart, I never used mine but it does show that you are able to manage your time well and it gives you a good idea of the timeline you should follow.

this was extremely helpful, thank you so much!
well done!! when abouts did you do certain things, was it predominantly year 13 or year 12? thank you!!
Original post by missrona-19
well done!! when abouts did you do certain things, was it predominantly year 13 or year 12? thank you!!

hiya thank you! I completed the whole of my EPQ in year 12
hi, what was the structure of your EPQ, and did you include a survey or any kind of primary research?
Do u think u can do an EPQ based on graphic design and do u have any ideas for this
I completed my EPQ this year and achieved an A*. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have

How did you reference the podcast in your bibliography? :smile:
Original post by lovelylemon
hi, what was the structure of your EPQ, and did you include a survey or any kind of primary research?

hiya, my question was basically arguing between two points and had sub paragraphs within the main paragraphs. I set my essay out like this:

Intro (explain topic and what i am going to discuss in essay)

Point 1 (For)
Point 1 (against
Point 1 (conclusion)

Point 2 (For)
Point 2 (against
Point 2 (conclusion)

Overall Conclusion

I didn’t do a survey but I did interview a professional in the field i was discussing. I definitely recommend this as you can talk about it a lot in your diary (what went well, what was unexpected etc)
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Do u think u can do an EPQ based on graphic design and do u have any ideas for this

Hi! You’re literally talking to the least artistic person ever so I’m sorry I’ve got no suggestions but I know it’s definitely possible. I had a friend who did hers based on fashion and she did hers as an artefact and made a collection so maybe you could do something similar?
(edited 3 years ago)
hiya, my question was basically arguing between two points and had sub paragraphs within the main paragraphs. I set my essay out like this:

Intro (explain topic and what i am going to discuss in essay)

Point 1 (For)
Point 1 (against
Point 1 (conclusion)

Point 2 (For)
Point 2 (against
Point 2 (conclusion)

Overall Conclusion

I didn’t do a survey but I did interview a professional in the field i was discussing. I definitely recommend this as you can talk about it a lot in your diary (what went well, what was unexpected etc)
hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!! :smile:
Reply 12
Can you base an EPQ off a book? Like using the idea of an author and just talking about that in the EPQ?
(I want to use Carl Jung's "Map Of The Soul")
Hi! You’re literally talking to the least artistic person ever so I’m sorry I’ve got no suggestions but I know it’s definitely possible. I had a friend who did hers based on fashion and she did hers as an artefact and made a collection so maybe you could do something similar?

Oh that’s fine 😂 Do u think u could explain the type of artefact she did or ask her to come on here and explain. Sorry if this is asking for too much
Reply 14
My research log is predominantly books - there are around 20 iirc, though I do reference papers and podcasts too. Since a book takes longer to read than most resources, would the lower quantity still be a disadvantage?

Does EPQ take a lot of time to research about, collect resources etc and would it be good for universities/ CV
Original post by ARMYYYY
Can you base an EPQ off a book? Like using the idea of an author and just talking about that in the EPQ?
(I want to use Carl Jung's "Map Of The Soul")

hey army, I was also thinking of researching about map of the soul because its really interesting and there's a lot to talk about as well :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by CJ_bangtan
hey army, I was also thinking of researching about map of the soul because its really interesting and there's a lot to talk about as well :smile:

Have you come up with a question? Also were you planning on mentioning BTS because I think I might sneak in a few sentences about them.
Original post by ARMYYYY
Have you come up with a question? Also were you planning on mentioning BTS because I think I might sneak in a few sentences about them.

I'm not really sure yet but hopefully I can sneak them in maybe use one of their lyrics :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by CJ_bangtan
I'm not really sure yet but hopefully I can sneak them in maybe use one of their lyrics :wink:

:proud::crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending