The Student Room Group

Student Finance SLOW processing time

20 days ago, I submitted a change of circumstances form, switching from firm to insurance uni. Today I checked y online account, nothing changed. Also, why does it take a bloody 6-8 weeks to process residency evidence? And the worst part is, I have been supplying the evidence from April and they keep asking for more! Are they lacking staff, is it corruption within the company? Now if I don't get the money in the first week, how am I supposed to pay £9250 and living expenses?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squittyjellie
20 days ago, I submitted a change of circumstances form, switching from firm to insurance uni. Today I checked y online account, nothing changed. Also, why does it take a bloody 6-8 weeks to process residency evidence? And the worst part is, I have been supplying the evidence from April and they keep asking for more! Are they lacking staff, is it corruption within the company? Now if I don't get the money in the first week, how am I supposed to pay £9250 and living expenses?

Hi

I understand your frustration. August/September are the busiest months of the year for student finance so processing timescales are very high which is why students are advised to apply early.

Residency evidence only takes around 5 working days, migrant worker is taking around 19 working days, processing financial documents and assessing applications is around 20 working days.

If you call up and speak to an advisor they will be able to give you an estimated processing timescale on your change of circumstance form (estimated because timescales can change)

I don't know your full circumstances so it's hard to accurately state why things are taking so long for you.
What is your nationality and what loan are you applying for?

Sorry you have had a bad experience so far, hopefully that will improve.
(edited 6 years ago)
3 student finance staff told me a date everything will get assessed and sorted, on the day the manager told me they were wrong and now I have to leave uni, they need to get sued.
Hi Hamzakhuram,

I'm sorry that you have had such a negative experience.

Can you tell us what you are waiting to have approved, did you recently send evidence or any forms to us?

Thanks,

Gerard
Hi Gerard, I have a question regarding my loans being blocked. I had sent to SFE my September payslip which they received on 3 October. A few days after I called up SFE and was told I'd have to wait 27 days to process the evidence/payment. Am I right that it means 27 working days and I can safely count on the payment day or can this actually change yet? I can see posts from angry people being asked for more and more evidence after weeks of waiting. Thank you very much, Jiri
Original post by Jiri_Halliwell
Hi Gerard, I have a question regarding my loans being blocked. I had sent to SFE my September payslip which they received on 3 October. A few days after I called up SFE and was told I'd have to wait 27 days to process the evidence/payment. Am I right that it means 27 working days and I can safely count on the payment day or can this actually change yet? I can see posts from angry people being asked for more and more evidence after weeks of waiting. Thank you very much, Jiri

Hi Jiri,

It sounds like you are applying as a Migrant Worker, at the moment this is taking 34 working days to process, once your payslip is processed, we will release the payment to your account on the basis that your National Insurance number has been verified (only carried out in first year) and we have received confirmation you are registered at your University.

Thanks,

Gerard,
Literally the same thing is about to happen to me. I did everything right they said it was missing something and it wasnt, so from the 6 of October to the 14 of November. Then they pushed the payment to the 16... Nothing changed, now they're telling me it's the 28 of November then I'll have to "wait another 5 day" I'm literally gonna get kicked out this weekend because some a**holes told me the 14. Student finance literally f*** my life up. At this point I would have rather taken money from the mafia because at least I would have gotten it on time.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Koby obrien
Literally the same thing is about to happen to me. I did everything right they said it was missing something and it wasnt, so from the 6 of October to the 14 of November. Then they pushed the payment to the 16... Nothing changed, now they're telling me it's the 28 of November then I'll have to "wait another 5 day" I'm literally gonna get kicked out this weekend because some a**holes told me the 14. Student finance literally f*** my life up. At this point I would have rather taken money from the mafia because at least I would have gotten it on time.

Hi,

Sorry to hear you haven't received your funding yet.
I'd recommend sending us a private/direct message via either Facebook or Twitter. This will allow us to gain access to your account and look in to this further for you.

Thanks, Duncan
Reply 8
Why is student finance not connected to other government entities such as immigration, HMRC and all these organizations they keep asking evidence from as they are also a government entity? It's 2019, a structure like this should be in place. All they have to do is let the applicant grant them permission to access these records and then they can assess faster. Seriously unless there is a reason this isn't possible, it should be considered.
Reply 9
How long is this process going to take, I applied on the 17th of January and I'm still waiting as I thought it would been this week.
Original post by Demmoh
How long is this process going to take, I applied on the 17th of January and I'm still waiting as I thought it would been this week.

Hi there,

Have you applied as a home student, Migrant Worker or EU student?

Thanks, Jen
I applied through clearing and changed my circumstances on the 15 August , I’ve been told 3 times it will be referred and that it should be validated the day after the referral is sent . Yesterday I got told everything I got told was wrong and I’d have to wait and it could be until the 25th September until it all gets sorted but that’s not even a guarantee . I feel as though they don’t care about personal situations, I’ve worked so so so hard for my offer and I don’t want to jeopardise it because student finance couldn’t manage to sort out my loan. I haven’t been asked to give any more information so I don’t see why it’s taking so long I’ve been so stressed and not enjoying my time before uni or even be happy about getting into it because of their bad service
Original post by Randomstudwnt
I applied through clearing and changed my circumstances on the 15 August , I’ve been told 3 times it will be referred and that it should be validated the day after the referral is sent . Yesterday I got told everything I got told was wrong and I’d have to wait and it could be until the 25th September until it all gets sorted but that’s not even a guarantee . I feel as though they don’t care about personal situations, I’ve worked so so so hard for my offer and I don’t want to jeopardise it because student finance couldn’t manage to sort out my loan. I haven’t been asked to give any more information so I don’t see why it’s taking so long I’ve been so stressed and not enjoying my time before uni or even be happy about getting into it because of their bad service

Hi there,
Please allow up to 6 weeks to be re assessed after submitting the changes, if you are an SFE applicant then you can show your university your previous entitlement letter and ask them to manually confirm your registration so that your funding is released to you without delays even if the changes have not been assessed yet.
Thanks, Isaac
I literally had a lack of communication from sfe even though I applied super early. I applied in April and sent my evidence. They said it would take 6-8 weeks to process my application so I log in 2 month llater and litteraly nothing changes. I ended up having to call them for them to tell me they needed more evidence since april and now I have to go through unnecessary hassle when I could've gotten my student finance approved 3 months ago. Now im unsure if my student finance will get approved in time for uni
I changed courses on the 15th. Uni have enrolled me onto the social work course and my attendance has been confirmed with SFE. My maintenance loan is scheduled for the 14th of September. Every time I call student finance I am being told different things. My application is still down as only “submitted” it hasn’t even been swapped over despite the fact it has been 4 weeks nearly since I made the change. The staff on the phones keep telling me to ring back and give me another date. Also one staff tells me I will still recieve my maintenance loan before the application is approved and the other staff said I won’t receive it till it has been approved. One staff told me I wouldn’t get funding because I had already received two years on my foundation years.... Social work is accepted by student finance as a second degree even though I don’t have a degree so it doesn’t matter anyway. So before I even start on the 14th I am already worried and stressed and my anxiety is through the roof. I have a child to support and my course is 4 days a week, that leaves little time to work. I’m not going to be able to study until i am certain that my application has been approved. I understand it is a busy time of year but I was already accepted it just needed swapping over. Changing the time frame is causing students so much anxiety, staff on the phones should just be honest and let people know where they stand instead of giving them dates.
Reply 15
I rang up a week ago couldn’t get on, was waiting for ages. So I called back another time and they just cut me off as it was too busy. Not only am I being charged for calling them I cannot even get through. I was told last week that my account would take 3 working days to approve and they have put a note on my account or something? Haven’t seen any improvements or changes and has been a lot longer than 3 working days now. I’m hoping for the best but it’s stressful having to keep ringing and checking your status constantly. Especially with the 10 minute wait to actually log on to your account!!! I wish they would follow through on their promises, it’s hard enough being a student as it is and with this current pandemic. I think there needs to be more communication, faster approval times, application reviews and support for us especially in this climate we are in. My evidence is all fine and approved since April so I do not understand what is taking so long to change my application. But who knows, I’m praying it gets sorted soon and others too.
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you know how long it will be to process my application everything was done but I changed my course at the same uni
Original post by Ismail2580
I literally had a lack of communication from sfe even though I applied super early. I applied in April and sent my evidence. They said it would take 6-8 weeks to process my application so I log in 2 month llater and litteraly nothing changes. I ended up having to call them for them to tell me they needed more evidence since april and now I have to go through unnecessary hassle when I could've gotten my student finance approved 3 months ago. Now im unsure if my student finance will get approved in time for uni

Original post by Charliepop
I changed courses on the 15th. Uni have enrolled me onto the social work course and my attendance has been confirmed with SFE. My maintenance loan is scheduled for the 14th of September. Every time I call student finance I am being told different things. My application is still down as only “submitted” it hasn’t even been swapped over despite the fact it has been 4 weeks nearly since I made the change. The staff on the phones keep telling me to ring back and give me another date. Also one staff tells me I will still recieve my maintenance loan before the application is approved and the other staff said I won’t receive it till it has been approved. One staff told me I wouldn’t get funding because I had already received two years on my foundation years.... Social work is accepted by student finance as a second degree even though I don’t have a degree so it doesn’t matter anyway. So before I even start on the 14th I am already worried and stressed and my anxiety is through the roof. I have a child to support and my course is 4 days a week, that leaves little time to work. I’m not going to be able to study until i am certain that my application has been approved. I understand it is a busy time of year but I was already accepted it just needed swapping over. Changing the time frame is causing students so much anxiety, staff on the phones should just be honest and let people know where they stand instead of giving them dates.

Hi all,

Please allow up to 6 weeks to be re assessed after submitting the changes, if you are an SFE applicant then you can show your university your previous entitlement letter and ask them to manually confirm your registration so that your funding is released to you without delays even if the changes have not been assessed yet.

Original post by jae18
I rang up a week ago couldn’t get on, was waiting for ages. So I called back another time and they just cut me off as it was too busy. Not only am I being charged for calling them I cannot even get through. I was told last week that my account would take 3 working days to approve and they have put a note on my account or something? Haven’t seen any improvements or changes and has been a lot longer than 3 working days now. I’m hoping for the best but it’s stressful having to keep ringing and checking your status constantly. Especially with the 10 minute wait to actually log on to your account!!! I wish they would follow through on their promises, it’s hard enough being a student as it is and with this current pandemic. I think there needs to be more communication, faster approval times, application reviews and support for us especially in this climate we are in. My evidence is all fine and approved since April so I do not understand what is taking so long to change my application. But who knows, I’m praying it gets sorted soon and others too.

Hi Jae18, sorry to hear about your bad experience, our number costs is not a premium number, if your landline calls are free then it's also free to call us.
We do advise allowing up to 6 weeks for any changes to be processed but your university can manually confirm your registration if you have been approved before.

Original post by Kailem_T
Do you know how long it will be to process my application everything was done but I changed my course at the same uni

We do advise creating a separate thread with your query so that it's easier to have a 1 on 1 conversation.
Thanks, Isaac
I have been waiting for my application to be process since June and they keep asking me for evidence and information when is getting near for me to get a decision on my application. I am so frustrated and this is having an impact on my mental health. I have 2 kids , studying Nursing and no income from any where.
Original post by Glennyce
I have been waiting for my application to be process since June and they keep asking me for evidence and information when is getting near for me to get a decision on my application. I am so frustrated and this is having an impact on my mental health. I have 2 kids , studying Nursing and no income from any where.

Hi, please call us on 0300 100 0607 or message us on Facebook/Twitter and we can review this.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending