The Student Room Group

A-Level Economics (and Textbook).

Hello,

I need to finalise my A-Level options by next week.

I heard about Economics A-Level and it did sound quite interesting, but I feel as though I do not have sufficient knowledge about what it is and what you study to make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue it at A-Level.

I thought about ordering an A-Level Economics textbook so that I can see what it is like- so any textbook recommendations (for any exam board since I'm just getting a feel and there are no specific ones made for my exam board) would be much appreciated....!

Additionally, if anyone could please tell me more about A-Level Economics: what you learn about, why you should take it, what you like about it, what you don't like about it, what degrees it is useful for, and anything else you can tell me about it, would all be of great use to me too.......

Thank you very much!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .SJ.
Hello,

I heard about Economics A-Level and it did sound quite interesting, but I feel as though I do not have sufficient knowledge about what it is and what you study to make an informed decision about whether or not to pursue it at A-Level.

I thought about ordering an A-Level Economics textbook so that I can see what it is like- so any textbook recommendations (for any exam board since I'm just getting a feel and there are no specific ones made for my exam board) would be much appreciated....!

Additionally, if anyone could please tell me more about A-Level Economics: what you learn about, why you should take it, what you like about it, what you don't like about it, what degrees it is useful for, and anything else you can tell me about it, would all be of great use to me too.......

Thank you very much!

A LEVEL ECONOMICS TEXTBOOK BY GRANT is amazing.

A -level economics can be a fantastic broad subject which stimulates learning about trade, currencies, which are really enjoyable.It prepares for courses for eco, finance, business, politics and history etc. Even Oxbridge prefers this subject.
Original post by .SJ.
Hello,

Thank you very much!

it's a good subject. It was my worst subject at a level which is why I am studying it at uni!

Just be aware that if you do want to take economics at uni please take maths (or further maths if you can) because a lot of unis require it
Reply 3
Hello,

I need to finalise my A-Level subject choices over the next few days.

I originally selected Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

However, I have been doing lots of research into Engineering entry requirements at top Universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Glasgow, etc.) and have discovered that Further Maths is either essential or highly recommended at all of them.

I also noticed that, for Cambridge, if your school offers Further Maths and you do not take it, you could be disadvantaged in your application. I did see that 1/3 of Cambridge Engineering students do not have Further Maths A-Level- however, could this be due to the fact that not all schools offer Further Maths?

I absolutely love Biology (at GCSE it was probably my favourite and best Science), but I also love Maths, Physics and problem-solving. I have considered Medicine as a degree, but am not sure that I would want to do it (and have seen that it is possible to get into a top Med School with FM, Maths, Chem and Phys [although you can only apply to a very small number of Med Schools without Bio and it is harder]).

I really can't decide whether to drop Biology and take Further Maths instead or to keep my current options. I love Biology so much and would be sad to let it go...

Does anyone know if it is still possible / how much harder it is to get into a top Engineering course without Further Maths? - and how disadvantaged will be? (my Sixth Form DOES offer Further Maths).

Likewise, is it possible / how much harder is it to get into a top Medicine course without Biology? - and how disadvantaged will you be?

Thank you.......
Reply 4
Hello,

However, I have been doing lots of research into Engineering entry requirements at top Universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Glasgow, etc.) and have discovered that Further Maths is either essential or highly recommended at all of them.

I also noticed that, for Cambridge, if your school offers Further Maths and you do not take it, you could be disadvantaged in your application. I did see that 1/3 of Cambridge Engineering students do not have Further Maths A-Level- however, could this be due to the fact that not all schools offer Further Maths?

I absolutely love Biology (at GCSE it was probably my favourite and best Science), but I also love Maths, Physics and problem-solving. I have considered Medicine as a degree, but am not sure that I would want to do it (and have seen that it is possible to get into a top Med School with FM, Maths, Chem and Phys [although you can only apply to a very small number of Med Schools without Bio and it is harder]).

I really can't decide whether to drop Biology and take Further Maths instead or to keep my current options. I love Biology so much and would be sad to let it go...

Does anyone know if it is still possible / how much harder it is to get into a top Engineering course without Further Maths? - and how disadvantaged will be? (my Sixth Form DOES offer Further Maths).

Likewise, is it possible / how much harder is it to get into a top Medicine course without Biology? - and how disadvantaged will you be?

Thank you.......
Reply 5
Hello,

Thank you.......
Reply 6
Hello,

Thank you.......
Original post by .SJ.
Hello,

Thank you.......

I don't recommend Oxbridge for Engineering - the newer universities are a better prep for working in industry. You can go to a good uni with just Maths - you really need to decide between Medicine and Engineering before we can help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by .SJ.

Was that 1/3 of students who did A levels - or does it include those who took IB or AP exams/ European equivalents?
Well TSR ate my reply so the gist of it is: just take A-level FM, if you are strong at and enjoy maths. It won't make a difference for medicine (plenty of medical schools don't require A-level Biology specifically), and will make you a better candidate for engineering, both for admissions and when you are actually on the degree (which is more important in the long run of getting good results, both early in the degree and overall, to the end of employability).
If you love Bio then take it at A-level,
I’ve done engineering without further maths, in fact I failed my Pure & Applied Maths A-level. Russell group Cardiff was still prepared to take me for Engineering, as they proposed to teach me maths correctly. In the end I went apprenticeship/HNC/tec-route.

It’s [s e r i o u s l y] difficult to predict where your interests will take you over the next two years, so does make sense to keep your options broad. If you do eventually do med, then it doesn’t really matter where. If you do “generic Engineering” at Ox or Cam; Cam do strongly suggest FM, whilst Ox, as ever more reasonable - suggest that FM might be helpful. Goodness, what a dreary course filled with clones, if everyone recruited for these courses need to be a slave to Maths/furtherMaths and not something a bit more useful! So, hedging, choose Oxford, and put this place down instead of those posh clones in the Fens Strathclyde as ‘spare’
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by .SJ.
Hello,

Thank you.......

You've already had advice about Medicine. For Engineering, FM is strongly recommend. You can decide for yourself why some universities don't ask for it.

One general point - don't do four A levels unless you're doing Maths and FM - four, unrelated subjects, is a lot of work..
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
If u love biology that much but want to do engineering then do
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Biology.

If you want to do Medicine you usually need
Chemistry
Biology / Physics / Maths.
Reply 13
for engineering degrees there are also all accredited by the relevant engineering institutions to confirm to those standards. The engineering equivelent to GMC.
Reply 14
Why does this not follow for medicine ? As some universities are harder to get into for medicine than others ?
Reply 15
Those unis with high “competition” prob because entry requirements might be lower so more applicants.
Reply 16
I would still have thought to get in medicine at oxford or imperial is harder than say going Cardiff or Queen Mary’s. In terms of entry requirements. The bar is higher.
Hi all, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice. I have chosen further maths, maths, chemistry, geography and an EPQ, with the intention of dropping one if it gets too much for me. I hope to become an investment banker one day and have been looking at maths and economic courses at university. Yesterday I was looking at the LSE economics course and they state they want maths, further maths and an essay based subject. they then list appropriate subjects and economics is on this list but not geography. I now wonder if I have made the right decision. Should I take economics A Level? Am I making a bad decision by taking geography? Which is 'better,' geography or economics? I have never considered taking economics because people have always told me it is a 'soft' subject. Also, if 4 A levels became too much would it look really bad applying for an economics degree having dropped economics? For background, I have always been a straight A* student. Will economics take up way more of my time than geography would have? I am so confused and worried now and have no idea what to do. Any advice whatsoever would be really greatly appreciated! Many thanks.
Reply 18
Thank you for your advice- it's been helpful
Reply 19
!thank you all for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest