The Student Room Group

what to look at for when buying a secondhand car first time?

Hello so basically I'm looking for a first car at the moment been looking at seat ibiza's and corsa's around 2009plates and above. I was gonna get a 2015 plate fiesta zetec S 1L but I'm not sure on spending that much since the insurance is a bit as well. So I'm limiting the budget to £3k but I'm not sure what I need to look out for because the millage on most of these guys for that price is around 90k+ miles done already.

Is there any other decent cars around that price range?

I've been on autotrader and looked up some of the cars past mot history to see if they were badly damaged in anyway but I dont think thats enough information to go on, I've been doing some research about servicing so I should check the history of that but other than this I'm not sure what else to look out for.
Someone I knew bought a car awhile ago and a week later something was already leaking out of the car so they were having issues already.

Which I'm kinda scared if I buy a car second hand what if I run into issues
If you buy from a dealer, even an independent one, it will come with some sort of guarantee- maybe only 3 or 6 months.
When you have selected a car you can do an HPI check to find out if it has been in a crash, has outstanding finance, that sort of thing.
Original post by RonnieRR
Hello so basically I'm looking for a first car at the moment been looking at seat ibiza's and corsa's around 2009plates and above. I was gonna get a 2015 plate fiesta zetec S 1L but I'm not sure on spending that much since the insurance is a bit as well. So I'm limiting the budget to £3k but I'm not sure what I need to look out for because the millage on most of these guys for that price is around 90k+ miles done already.

Is there any other decent cars around that price range?

I've been on autotrader and looked up some of the cars past mot history to see if they were badly damaged in anyway but I dont think thats enough information to go on, I've been doing some research about servicing so I should check the history of that but other than this I'm not sure what else to look out for.
Someone I knew bought a car awhile ago and a week later something was already leaking out of the car so they were having issues already.

Which I'm kinda scared if I buy a car second hand what if I run into issues

Take someone experienced with you.

Lots of articles online like this: https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/used-car-inspection-checklist
Reply 3
Original post by ReadingMum
If you buy from a dealer, even an independent one, it will come with some sort of guarantee- maybe only 3 or 6 months.
When you have selected a car you can do an HPI check to find out if it has been in a crash, has outstanding finance, that sort of thing.

yea I've been looking for places that give guarantee just incase anything happens
Original post by Muttley79
Take someone experienced with you.

Lots of articles online like this: https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/used-car-inspection-checklist

I dont really have anyone thats experienced, ill check the link out ive found a few others too
I don't think I've ever met or heard of anyone who has ever successfully claimed on a warranty from an indy car dealer :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
I don't think I've ever met or heard of anyone who has ever successfully claimed on a warranty from an indy car dealer :s-smilie:

I claimed for some rear shock absorbers but that was it - they weren't interested in the timing chain being looser than a hooker.
Reply 6

what do you mean by indy car dealer?
Like some random car dealership?
I've been trying to look at mainly high reviewed ones on autotrader which looks more trustworthy but idk
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
I claimed for some rear shock absorbers but that was it - they weren't interested in the timing chain being looser than a hooker.

wtf really? Is it like this for every dealer or what kind of dealer did you go to?
what do you mean by indy car dealer?
Like some random car dealership?
I've been trying to look at mainly high reviewed ones on autotrader which looks more trustworthy but idk

Yea indy as in just an independent used car place, rather than a Ford showroom with an 'Approved Used' dealer thing (which likely has a stronger warranty but i don't think they often sell cars more than a few years old)

TBH the first car i bought was from an Autotrader 'real' car dealer and i got totally bumped. Can't trust anyone :rolleyes:

Even if you are not too car savvy, you will be able to tell a lot from a decent test drive. You're listening/feeling for weird clunks/snapping sounds/tapping/excessive creak. Can it accelerate, shift and brake confidently? Do all the electrics and lights work as expected? They sound small but can either be super easy or super hard to sort (my last car would have cost £300 odd to fix a niggle in the rear lights, £3-sodding-00, either to buy a replacement or have an auto electrician strip it) Deffo have a look/feel under with a torch, some surface rust is 'ok' but you're looking for anything that's being eaten/flaked away (or leaking) the first Corsa I bought was utter swiss cheesed under it, was never allowed back on the road.
Reply 9
wtf really? Is it like this for every dealer or what kind of dealer did you go to?

Pretty much every aftermarket warranty not backed by the manufacturer isn't worth the paper it's written on. Lots and lots of exclusions, no diagnostics coverage, limited labour reimbursement.

Yep, at the end of the day no business wants to give out the liability of a full warranty on products that are used, complicated and years old... ..without a load of restrictions and exceptions to swing things back into their favour. Would you?

IMO the older/cheaper the car, the more trouble you'll have taking it back to the dealer with complaints, they won't want to see it or you again.

If it's any consolation, people buying brand new £30000 cars get treated much the same way by many brands.
The first question should be whether you need the car or not. Could you keep your existing car if you have one for a bit longer, or live without your own car? I also think that because of the increase in unemployment which will follow the end of furlough next month, used car prices will go down as people seek to get rid of them, especially where there is more than one car in a household.
Reply 12
Original post by barnetlad
The first question should be whether you need the car or not. Could you keep your existing car if you have one for a bit longer, or live without your own car? I also think that because of the increase in unemployment which will follow the end of furlough next month, used car prices will go down as people seek to get rid of them, especially where there is more than one car in a household.

Yes it sucks without a car, Im in my 20's and literally I hate the public transport trains are so expensive.
Reply 13
Yea indy as in just an independent used car place, rather than a Ford showroom with an 'Approved Used' dealer thing (which likely has a stronger warranty but i don't think they often sell cars more than a few years old)

TBH the first car i bought was from an Autotrader 'real' car dealer and i got totally bumped. Can't trust anyone :rolleyes:

Even if you are not too car savvy, you will be able to tell a lot from a decent test drive. You're listening/feeling for weird clunks/snapping sounds/tapping/excessive creak. Can it accelerate, shift and brake confidently? Do all the electrics and lights work as expected? They sound small but can either be super easy or super hard to sort (my last car would have cost £300 odd to fix a niggle in the rear lights, £3-sodding-00, either to buy a replacement or have an auto electrician strip it) Deffo have a look/feel under with a torch, some surface rust is 'ok' but you're looking for anything that's being eaten/flaked away (or leaking) the first Corsa I bought was utter swiss cheesed under it, was never allowed back on the road.

I've sent you a dm about a dealership I found selling ford cars.
Also its been a year since I've gotten my license but I haven't driven since then so I kind of feel like an idiot going to get a car when I havent driven this long :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending